5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Jarmo.Is.God
February 13, 2015, 9:52am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
there is an Ex-GTFC Player thread at the top of the page.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 46
Dan
February 13, 2015, 10:50am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
Maybe there is, but that's usually where people dump information about Tyrone Thompson or Lewis Gobern. Personally, I think our own homegrown players deserve a thread of their own every now and then. After all, there's two former players who get a couple a week.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 46
diehardmariner
February 13, 2015, 10:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Great stuff for Dayle and indeed Boston.

Never really had a fair crack of the whip here for me.  Always thought he offered something when he did get a chance and was disappointed we didn't give him another year.

I would rather have had Southwell as an option from the bench this year than Hannah.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 46
grimsby pete
February 13, 2015, 11:00am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I said at the time he was still developing,

Give him another year and loan him to Boston,

Sometimes clubs ( not just Grimsby ) get rid too quick.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 46
BIGChris
February 13, 2015, 11:15am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from grimsby pete
I said at the time he was still developing,

Give him another year and loan him to Boston,

Sometimes clubs ( not just Grimsby ) get rid too quick.

I think it is often a question of finance Pete, decisions have to be made sooner rather than letting players develop at lower levels because clubs cant afford to gamble. For everyone who develops on there are probably 9 or 10 who dont make it.

IIRC when Matty Bird had a 'trial' at Man U their coaches stated all their YT's got a pro contract because they didnt know at 18 if they would develop or not. Clubs lower down the ladder dont have that luxury

Dont get me wrong, I liked Dayle, he was certainly the shining light within the Youth set up from a young age and if anyone was capable of pushing on, it looked like him in many eyes
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 46
Garth
February 13, 2015, 11:21am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Needs to be back here with Northy, Bradley and Peter B, where they belong
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 46
diehardmariner
February 13, 2015, 11:21am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

I think it is often a question of finance Pete, decisions have to be made sooner rather than letting players develop at lower levels because clubs cant afford to gamble. For everyone who develops on there are probably 9 or 10 who dont make it.

IIRC when Matty Bird had a 'trial' at Man U their coaches stated all their YT's got a pro contract because they didnt know at 18 if they would develop or not. Clubs lower down the ladder dont have that luxury

Dont get me wrong, I liked Dayle, he was certainly the shining light within the Youth set up from a young age and if anyone was capable of pushing on, it looked like him in many eyes

You only have to look at the increasing number of players not making it at league clubs (not even big league clubs), dropping into the non-league and then returning to an even higher than original level once they've fully developed.

Thankfully this 'safety net' is working in some respects but for the vast majority they become disillusioned upon release from said league club and never return to the game.

How much does it cost to fund a two-year professional contract for an 18-year-old.  For two 18-year-olds every year?  Forgot that sum, because whatever it is will be absolutely insignificant to the sheer amount of zero's on the latest Premier League TV deal.  

The slightest drip from that gravy boat would work wonders for clubs, such as Town, in giving the young lads that extra time they need to develop.  If they don't make it, fine.  What has been lost, maybe a distinctly average Austrian fringe holding midfielder at a dull and predictable mid-table Premier League side will get a slightly decreased appearance bonus?
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 46
diehardmariner
February 13, 2015, 11:30am
Vodka Drinker
Back of a ciggy packet workings here:

First year professional contract: £300
Rough workings of 25% employer contributions.

Cost of a one-year contract for a first year pro - £19,500.  Two lads on that contract = £39,000 a year.

72 clubs (League One, League Two, Conference) each with two lads on a first year contract = £2,808,000.  Just shy of 3 million for an additional 144 lads getting an additional year to develop.

As of 2016/17 the team that finishes bottom of the Premier League will get £99million.  They could get no points, score no goals, might not even win a bloody corner and they get £99million in prize money!

The cost of 144 young professionals at League One, Two and Conference levels is 2.84% of the prize money for said side that finished bottom of the Premier League.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 46
psgmariner
February 13, 2015, 11:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
I don't get this reasoning that Premier League clubs should be contributing towards lower league clubs.

People all over the world want to pay to watch or sponsor the Premier League teams. They earn that money, they haven't stolen it from Grimsby, Lincoln, Boston or whoever else. Premier League clubs would gain absolute fook all from Grimsby keeping an 18 year old rookie on for an extra year so why on earth should they have to pay for it?!

Like it or loathe it the Premier League is a MASSIVE commercial success. I kind of get the argument that they should put something in to grass roots (e.g. school playing fields etc) but to say they should prop up failing business like GTFC etc is just weird in my opinion.

Private Message
Reply: 18 - 46
Garth
February 13, 2015, 11:49am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from psgmariner
I don't get this reasoning that Premier League clubs should be contributing towards lower league clubs.

People all over the world want to pay to watch or sponsor the Premier League teams. They earn that money, they haven't stolen it from Grimsby, Lincoln, Boston or whoever else. Premier League clubs would gain absolute fook all from Grimsby keeping an 18 year old rookie on for an extra year so why on earth should they have to pay for it?!

Like it or loathe it the Premier League is a MASSIVE commercial success. I kind of get the argument that they should put something in to grass roots (e.g. school playing fields etc) but to say they should prop up failing business like GTFC etc is just weird in my opinion.

Gee! very benevolent of you, without the so called grass roots there would be a Premiship of all foreign players managed by foreign managers ( nearly there now)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dayle Southwell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.