2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
The Yard Dog
February 11, 2015, 12:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 74
According to their fans forum only sold 260 tickets for Saturday's game,.I know its all ticket for away fans, but that was are there clubs request.

They are expecting to bring 300-400

How many would we take to Bristol Rovers if we were 2nd against a side in 4th place and it was all ticket for away fans?

Logged Offline
Private Message
RichMariner
February 11, 2015, 12:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
By 'big' I assume you mean: Are they well supported for the size of the city and the position the club is in?

The fact that a Conference club can bring 250+ fans to BP for a match would suggest they're big in the context of this league.

If you're trying to determine whether Town are 'bigger' based on away attendances alone, then maybe.

But if Town and Rovers both made the Premier League, Rovers would undoubtedly be the bigger side.

As always, it comes down to context and is, to some degree, an impossible question to answer with any clarity.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
Garth
February 11, 2015, 1:02pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Not as big as City
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
Les Brechin
February 11, 2015, 1:23pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from RichMariner
By 'big' I assume you mean: Are they well supported for the size of the city and the position the club is in?

The fact that a Conference club can bring 250+ fans to BP for a match would suggest they're big in the context of this league.

If you're trying to determine whether Town are 'bigger' based on away attendances alone, then maybe.

But if Town and Rovers both made the Premier League, Rovers would undoubtedly be the bigger side.

As always, it comes down to context and is, to some degree, an impossible question to answer with any clarity.

It really depends what you're comparing. Currently, yes they are a bigger club than us. They have a higher average attendance and a higher away following and will have had for the past 10 years or so I would imagine.

However, if you're talking historically then we'll win every time having spent 12 season in the top flight of English football and reached 2 FA Cup Semi-Finals against Rovers who have only ever played as high as the 2nd tier.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
GrimRob
February 11, 2015, 1:35pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
There are different factors to consider.

1. Bristol is a more attractive place to visit for our fans and combine with a weekend away or some other activity than Grimsby is for them.
2. Bristol fans on average probably live closer to Bristol then Grimsby fans do to Grimsby. How many Grimsby fans would make a 500 mile round trip or whatever it is?
3. Bristol has much better transport links than Grimsby. It's easy to get to from some of the most populated areas of the country.

I think you have to look at average home gate to give a true idea of a club's size

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 10
KingstonMariner
February 11, 2015, 1:36pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Probably what helps our away attendance compared to Roverseseses, is we've probably got a higher percentage of exiles. Bristol, bigger city and fairly close to other sizeable towns, with all the career opportunities that brings, richer town and in a richer area than GY, so less need for people to fly the nest in search of employment.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
Caesar
February 11, 2015, 4:17pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
Think number of exiles is a very good point, I was chuffed to be able to go to the Rovers away game but it was actually easier to get to for me than a home game, doubly now my family have moved to Sunderland.  

Do feel the need to add, that think we were really daft to make it all ticket, apologies if this has been explained and justified before but think it would be better if we had a good crowd at Blundell Park and discouraging one of the bigger clubs in the conference from bringing a following is annoying.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
grimps
February 11, 2015, 4:23pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
I always used to wonder when we was in the Championship that certain clubs that used to get 20000 plus at home would not bring as many away supporters to us as we'd take to them.
Maybe this could have something to do with the state if Blundell park ? also lets face it Grimsby as a town dosnt have the nicest reputation, some people are a little scared to visit.
On the other hand it never stoppped us visiting some of the rougher clubs back in the day , Middlesboro , Stoke , Hull and Brum all had their away ends filled by us back in the day
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
Paris Mariner
February 11, 2015, 4:32pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Yes, they are a big club.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 10
TownSNAFU5
February 11, 2015, 4:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Making it "all ticket" for Rovers fans reduced their numbers. Poor decision.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Are Bristol Rovers a big club

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.