MarinerWY
February 8, 2015, 3:17am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from forza ivano
Ps to that lad who has to endure watching real betis every week in seventy degrees of sunshine, after that shocker today in freezing  weather , you really don't know how lucky you are

How about you respond to my post in the initial thread mate? And no: personally I'm looking forward to watching Town, whatever the division they're in. The football is at a much poorer standard, yes. But 300 town fans can seem to create a much better atmosphere then 25,000 fans in a Spanish stadium: that goes for Sevilla as well, who arguably have an ever tamer support than Betis. I went to Sevilla vs. Betis which obviously had much more of an atmosphere... but I was also at Town vs. Scunny last season, both legs, and honestly you cannot compare, the excitement, emotion, atmosphere that surrounded Town Scunny made the Seville derby look like a very relaxed affair.

We might agree to disagree, but I posted a long response in the other thread adressing various points. In my opinion UK football culture is something special, having experienced both the UK and Spanish football cultures over a decent period of time. I'm also a Town fan... you can never replace emotional connections!

P.S.: Far from 70f degrees here at the moment mate, but still pretty good... can be 2-3 degrees c at times in the evening, but 18-odd in the sun in the day... can't complain!
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
lukeo
February 8, 2015, 9:11am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
For what it's worth.
I was disappointed yesterday. Not about the result but about how we played. Both teams where poor and seemed to just try lump it up at every opportunity. From what i've read on here the past few weeks it got me excited to finally see a decent Grimsby side play. I have to say though I thought Arnold's deliveries into the box where fantastic. Clay and Disley worked hard and the centre backs seemed solid for the large majority of the game.
Hannah looked ok when he came on, created a good opportunity for himseld and the keeper pulled off a great save. Although 5 minutes later he should have scored.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
Madeleymariner
February 8, 2015, 9:39am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
more of the same, lump it up to LJLs head (he hardly a header all game but we persisted with this tactic.) Why take Ollie off for Hannah when LJL was totally ineffective for most of the game, Jolly is not a winger and I thought the back four had a decent game considering the size of their attacking players.
Wrong decisions all over the pitch and FGR midfield 1st to the ball nearly all the time. FGR only tested Macca once all game. A nothing display against a nothing team, anymore than one more defeat and its goodbye to any hope of finishing top. Glad I hadn't driven that far just for the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
Tommy
February 8, 2015, 10:06am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Having seen the highlights, Magnay should be doing better for their 1st goal. Nsiala lets it go under his boot but then Magnay, unlike him tbf, just tries flicking the ball away when the scorer is charging in to prod it goalwards. Just making the point as Toto taking s lot of flack.

Don't think Disley could do much about their 2nd either. The ball came at him and he naturally tried to do something with it rather than let it run. Not the huge errors I was expecting to see after reading reports and criticisms on here and social media.

Hannah's two efforts looked like our only chances. Need to create more than that. His 1st looked a decent snapshot on the turn but his 2nd was a pitiful attempt really.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 8, 2015, 10:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
325 of us there but seemed a lot more

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
lukeo
February 8, 2015, 11:00am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
I agree Woz, there must have been 500 odd. No way was there only 50 more than last season's mid week encounter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
forza ivano
February 8, 2015, 11:51am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,156
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from MarinerWY

How about you respond to my post in the initial thread mate? And no: personally I'm looking forward to watching Town, whatever the division they're in. The football is at a much poorer standard, yes. But 300 town fans can seem to create a much better atmosphere then 25,000 fans in a Spanish stadium: that goes for Sevilla as well, who arguably have an ever tamer support than Betis. I went to Sevilla vs. Betis which obviously had much more of an atmosphere... but I was also at Town vs. Scunny last season, both legs, and honestly you cannot compare, the excitement, emotion, atmosphere that surrounded Town Scunny made the Seville derby look like a very relaxed affair.

We might agree to disagree, but I posted a long response in the other thread adressing various points. In my opinion UK football culture is something special, having experienced both the UK and Spanish football cultures over a decent period of time. I'm also a Town fan... you can never replace emotional connections!

P.S.: Far from 70f degrees here at the moment mate, but still pretty good... can be 2-3 degrees c at times in the evening, but 18-odd in the sun in the day... can't complain!

Calmate, calmate! It was simply a jocular aside. Think at the hottest part of the day we might just have reached 3 degrees yesterday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
MarinerWY
February 8, 2015, 12:01pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from forza ivano

Calmate, calmate! It was simply a jocular aside. Think at the hottest part of the day we might just have reached 3 degrees yesterday

Sorry mate, had a few pints and was up for a debate (a friendly one like!)... to be fair forget the pints I'm always up for a good debate!

The winter here is quite tame, but one of the problems is all the hosues are built to deal with the extreme heat of the summer (it can reach 45 plus). So there's big rooms, no insulation, no carpets etc. and lots of air circulation throughout the house. So during the day it's a lot hotter outside the house than in, and during the night you'd barely notice if you opened the window to be honest.  So you do tend to feel the cold a bit more despite it not being that cold.

Brilliant city though! Spring and autumn is the time to come, in summer it becomes like a ghost town as everyone avoids the heat and/or goes on holiday.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
arryarryarry
February 8, 2015, 3:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Hardly a comment about Jolley, how did he do, the FGR fans on their forum seemed very glad to be rid of him.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
barralad
February 8, 2015, 3:45pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from arryarryarry
Hardly a comment about Jolley, how did he do, the FGR fans on their forum seemed very glad to be rid of him.

It's early days but he looks like a player without very much confidence to me. Showed a couple of decent touches but seemed to drift about as opposed to Mackreth (his replacement) who went for it with some purpose. Didn't notice the FGR fans giving him much stick either...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.