February 5, 2015, 2:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Bruce Springsteen
QUOTE REMOVED

You hide behind a keyboard and type that Drivel.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
AlanPoutonsTackle
February 5, 2015, 3:19pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +57
I have sympathy for his depression but it is a very selfish thing to involve vehicles on a road. I recall a driver doing the same thing on the M180 a few years ago and ploughing into a family devastating them killing the dad and leaving at least one child with life changing injuries. If you are to attempt your life there are many ways that don't involve the lives of others. Hope he gets the help but not impressed in any way with his actions.

"With a minute to go Buckley said keep it in the corner, I thought he meant the top corner." - Jim Dobbin
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 37
horsforthmariner
February 5, 2015, 3:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from AlanPoutonsTackle
I have sympathy for his depression but it is a very selfish thing to involve vehicles on a road. I recall a driver doing the same thing on the M180 a few years ago and ploughing into a family devastating them killing the dad and leaving at least one child with life changing injuries. If you are to attempt your life there are many ways that don't involve the lives of others. Hope he gets the help but not impressed in any way with his actions.

A rational and reasonable person would not involve another person in their suicide, but suicide is not the act of a rational and reasonable individual. As I said earlier mental illness deprives individuals of  their decision making capacity. This is why we often section people when their decision making  becomes severely compromised. Calling Carlisle selfish, is deluded. He isn't acting selfishly in this incidence because he doesn't have the capacity to make selfish decisions. He decision making is compromised to such an extent that he is unable to weigh issues and empathise with others while he is this type of mental state.

It's really important we don't judge people who have mental illnesses while they are displaying problematic behaviour. It is not their fault.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 37
psgmariner
February 5, 2015, 3:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from horsforthmariner

It's really important we don't judge people who have mental illnesses while they are displaying problematic behaviour. It is not their fault.

I sort of agree, but only to a point. You can't be absolved of all blame for everything you subsequently do wrong in life just because you were diagnosed with depression. Continually drink driving is a terrible crime and I hope he is punished.

Private Message
Reply: 13 - 37
grimsby pete
February 5, 2015, 4:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from psgmariner

I sort of agree, but only to a point. You can't be absolved of all blame for everything you subsequently do wrong in life just because you were diagnosed with depression. Continually drink driving is a terrible crime and I hope he is punished.

From someone who suffers this dreadful illness, I can understand what went through Clarkes mind at the time,

When you are in that dark place you have no  control over your actions so to say he should not do this or do that is just impossible,

He will be charge with drunk driving because being depressed is no excuse, even though he was suffering at the time.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
Rick12
February 5, 2015, 4:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Suprised to read this.Hope he recovers and never gets to that dark place ever again

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
horsforthmariner
February 5, 2015, 4:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from psgmariner

In terms of the law, mental health issues can lead to an:
An acquittal in certain circumstances.
A mitigating factor in sentencing.

Maybe "judge" was the wrong word - treat sympathetically would probably be a better word. Capacity is the key issue, in terms of this how "able" was Carlisle to make an informed decision. It isn't black and white, it's more of a sliding scale. I'm not saying that Clarke should be "let off" because of depression ( a term I don't like as it implies that someone's "just a bit down" ) but rather that punishing him overly would be cruel.

We lock up far too many people with mental health issues every year. If we offered them proper mental health services then we could cut crime and ease the taxpayers burden. But then the Daily Mail would have a S**tfit, so that wouldn't be allowed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
friskneymariner
February 5, 2015, 4:47pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Now here is a bloke with real problems ... He's obviously in a very dark place and deserves a lot of sympathy and help . Can't help thinking he'll get his wish sooner or later tho .

Who you talking about ,Bruce?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 37
BeijingMariner
February 5, 2015, 4:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from grimsby pete

From someone who suffers this dreadful illness, I can understand what went through Clarkes mind at the time,

When you are in that dark place you have no  control over your actions so to say he should not do this or do that is just impossible,

He will be charge with drunk driving because being depressed is no excuse, even though he was suffering at the time.

psg: it isn't about blame.
grimsby pete, you have my sympathy, depression is rampant and pretty ferkin cruel, no prisoners. i salute you, you have been honest knowing what might come in this forum. i am left with this, opinions are like bottom holes, everyone has one (adendum: new facts come to light. imperforate anus, no opening or blocked opening of the anus), but the point still remains: our democratic belief means we give the right to people to speak shyte, and i will fight for that. whateever happened with Clarke, no doubt the results are no picnic to get over. If any member of this forum has been responsible for a similar tragedy and wants t speak up, you should do it now and keep the talking going instead of the judging.......
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 18 - 37
AlanPoutonsTackle
February 5, 2015, 5:05pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +57
Quoted from horsforthmariner

A rational and reasonable person would not involve another person in their suicide, but suicide is not the act of a rational and reasonable individual. As I said earlier mental illness deprives individuals of  their decision making capacity. This is why we often section people when their decision making  becomes severely compromised. Calling Carlisle selfish, is deluded. He isn't acting selfishly in this incidence because he doesn't have the capacity to make selfish decisions. He decision making is compromised to such an extent that he is unable to weigh issues and empathise with others while he is this type of mental state.

Really? Not capable of decision making. Even with mental health issues you certainly have a decision making process ability. He doesn't have severe learning difficulties. If lee Hughes had been depressed at the time of his incident and he may or may not have been, would that have been enough for the court to have let him off. Carlisle had allegedly been drink driving recently before this incident. On that basis he could have been drinking before this one. That would have affected his decision making. I have a lot of sympathy for depression and have experienced it over the years in  people I have known. I can assure you that I have never met anyone who could not have made a rational decision not to involve other vehicles on the road.

"With a minute to go Buckley said keep it in the corner, I thought he meant the top corner." - Jim Dobbin
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Clarke Carlise

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.