5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Maringer
February 7, 2015, 9:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
I remember when Jonathan Pearce came on the scene, he was roundly criticised for being too excitable.

If you listen to the real olden-day commentators such as Wolstenholme, they actually describe what is happening on the pitch most of the time i.e. X passes the ball to Y who controls and lays it off to Z etc etc.

Whether or not this was because the TV commentary was also to be used for a radio transmission, I don't know.

I do know that the radio commentators these days don't seem to do the same - you rarely have a clue what has occurred when a shot has gone close or there is a chance until they explain themselves after the event!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
LH
February 7, 2015, 9:44am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
I can't stand Jonathan Pearce. At the World Cup I was expecting him to do the "GOLGOLGOLGOLGOLGOOOOOOOL!!!!" thing as seen on South American football.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
Abdul19
February 7, 2015, 9:51am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
I did like the bit where he lost the plot when the goal line technology was being used.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
LH
February 7, 2015, 10:00am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Yeah it seemed obvious to everyone else watching what was happening but unfortunately he had a microphone and was broadcasting to the nation at the time. I hadn't heard him that confused since Sir Killalot started attacking Matilda on Robot Wars.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
ginnywings
February 7, 2015, 11:09am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from mimma
What this thread proves to me is how everyone is in agreement about the commentary & the so called "expert" summarisers.

In fact it is the only thread on the Fishy in which there is total agreement, a first!

Isn't it about time we fans told the TV companies what we want to hear during a game, instead of some TV executive who has never been to a game deciding what he wants to inflict on us.

Football fans around the country also complain long & hard, yet nothing ever gets done, surly there must be something that we can do to stop this constant drivel that blights the beautiful game.

I've already taken my own action and now watch footy on NBC Sports. They have some familiar faces (and voices) and sometimes you have to listen to some Yank in the studio talking about OFFence, DEfence and overtime. but i enjoy it more in general.

Commentator is Arlo White ( who they amusingly call the play by play voice) usually with Lee Dixon or Graeme Le Saux and they are called (also amusingly), colour commentators or game analysts

Studio duties are hosted by Rebecca Lowe, with Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe as studio analysts and the "legendary" Gary Lineker as a special contributor, whatever the fook that means.

The coverage is first class and they have more content than Sky or BT. It is also sometimes very amusing to see the American slant on things but they seem to have decided to go with a mostly British front end now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
mimma
February 7, 2015, 12:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
Sometimes Tondour starts rabbiting then breaks off "there's a chance here!!" but forgets to mention to who as he describes the goalmouth action, we are left wondering if it's Town or not.

I also hate it when he tells us that Town are playing from left to right, really useful on a radio commentary.

As I stated earlier, every football fan hates the commentary & "expert" analysis, yet it still gets rammed down our throats..

Could we start a campaign using all the other forums, & bombard the TV companies with complaints from every teams fans to make them take notice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
Garth
February 7, 2015, 12:12pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from mimma
Sometimes Tondour starts rabbiting then breaks off "there's a chance here!!" but forgets to mention to who as he describes the goalmouth action, we are left wondering if it's Town or not.

I also hate it when he tells us that Town are playing from left to right, really useful on a radio commentary.

As I stated earlier, every football fan hates the commentary & "expert" analysis, yet it still gets rammed down our throats..

Could we start a campaign using all the other forums, & bombard the TV companies with complaints from every teams fans to make them take notice.

Just turn the sound down
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
immariner
February 7, 2015, 12:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,387
Gold Stars: 59
I remember watching a Football Italia game in the late 90's on Channel 4 and losing the commentary for the whole of the second half. It was glorious. I'd much rather have no commentary and microphones pointed at the crowd.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Phil Neville

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.