5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
February 6, 2015, 1:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,140
Gold Stars: 209
The key to becoming a good football commentator on TV is to know when not to talk.

Commentators are so similar on the BBC (beyond Motty, obviously) that I find it difficult to tell them apart. They're all clones that talk almost exclusively in clichés.

As for the pundits, well, I don't get it. MOTD have this rotation policy and all of them are bang average (to poor).

The BBC need to do something about this. Not every ex-Premier League footballer makes a good pundit. I hate it when they also try to squeeze in existing players - like they did with Vincent Kompany that time. And then Russell Brand pops up. What's that all about?

Sol Campbell appeared on the show once and spent the whole time looking like he'd rather be anywhere but on the telly.

Robbie Fowler has one of the most limited vocabularies and begins every sentence with 'For me', and it winds me right up.

I'm convinced Phil Neville isn't all there, if you know what I mean. He can't be. Did anyone see him on that celebrity edition of Pointless? Mark Chapman looked like he could've swung for him.

Mark Chapman I like, by the way. He seems a decent presenter who asks proper questions of the pundits. He doesn't let them get away with saying bland trash.

We're in serious need of a couple of genuinely insightful pundits on the BBC.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 30 - 47
Abdul19
February 6, 2015, 5:33pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,511
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from RichMariner

Robbie Fowler has one of the most limited vocabularies and begins every sentence with 'For me', and it winds me right up.

For me, that's one one of the most annoying things on tv/radio/life.

I mean, what's the fucking point? You're the one speaking, so obviously it's "for me"!

And Fowler's by no means the only one who does this!

I also agree with you about Chappers, seems to be able to perfectly mix the serious stuff with the 'bantz'.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
Les Brechin
February 6, 2015, 6:45pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Peter Beagrie needs a smack in the chops too!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
MeanwoodMariner
February 6, 2015, 6:57pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from RichMariner
The key to becoming a good football commentator on TV is to know when not to talk.

As for the pundits, well, I don't get it. MOTD have this rotation policy and all of them are bang average (to poor).

Completely agree. Michael Owen is as bad on BT Sport. He comments on absolutely every passage of play, he pretty well talks for the whole match.

And the pundits in general are terrible. Only Gary Neville & Carragher are an enjoyable watch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
Maringer
February 6, 2015, 9:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,393
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from Les Brechin
Peter Beagrie needs a smack in the chops too!

And a kick in the nuts?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
bobbyturtle
February 6, 2015, 10:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
Dislike Andy Townsend commentating also

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 47
mimma
February 6, 2015, 11:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 78
What this thread proves to me is how everyone is in agreement about the commentary & the so called "expert" summarisers.

In fact it is the only thread on the Fishy in which there is total agreement, a first!

Isn't it about time we fans told the TV companies what we want to hear during a game, instead of some TV executive who has never been to a game deciding what he wants to inflict on us.

Football fans around the country also complain long & hard, yet nothing ever gets done, surly there must be something that we can do to stop this constant drivel that blights the beautiful game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 47
arryarryarry
February 7, 2015, 1:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Abdul19

For me, that's one one of the most annoying things on tv/radio/life.

I mean, what's the fucking point? You're the one speaking, so obviously it's "for me"!

And Fowler's by no means the only one who does this!

I also agree with you about Chappers, seems to be able to perfectly mix the serious stuff with the 'bantz'.

I would have to say and this is personally speaking, that for me I agree.

Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
Abdul19
February 7, 2015, 2:56am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,511
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from arryarryarry

I would have to say and this is personally speaking, that for me I agree.

Do you know what also gets on my mammaries? For me it's pundits who refer to players in some sort of plural grouping and then list all of them anyway. You know, your Lawrensons, your Shearers, your Murphys, your Jenases, your Carraghers etc etc.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
Mrs Doyle
February 7, 2015, 9:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Owens monophonic tones drive me mad must be the most boring voice ever other than William Haig. Why do ex footballers get those jobs they have no commentary skills what so ever.

David Colman, Harry Carpenter,Jonathan Pearce(robot wars fame) all had/have emotion as well as vast knowledge of their jobs, they learned  their trade properly  not some over paid ex footballer wanabe with no communication skills.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Phil Neville

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.