5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
biggles9999
February 5, 2015, 9:04am
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Neville's best comment last night was:

'Its hard when you go down to 10 men as your not just doing your own work, you end up doing the work of 2 or 3 others as well.'

Obviously failed Maths as well as Home Ec.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 47
ginnywings
February 5, 2015, 9:41am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
It seems the check list for BBC punitry is as follows:-

Are you boring-tick

Can you state the obvious-tick

Will you annoy the viewers-tick

Have you got some extremely loud shirts-tick

Don't even get me started on Robbie Savage. You have to ask yourselves why they want to do it in the first place. They certainly don't need the money. Best one recently was Jimmy Bullard, he looked drunk or stoned or both and Gary Lineker was getting really nervous. Funny as intercourse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 47
RoboCod
February 5, 2015, 10:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
I like Danny Murphy myself, but you have to wonder if its his lack of excitable, gasping cliche-ridden commentary that demotes him to just the half time chat. The majority of the viewing public sadly want this Robbie Savage type rubbish as it's safe and understandable at a Fifa Soccer-level.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 47
biggles9999
February 5, 2015, 11:05am
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from RoboCod
I like Danny Murphy myself, but you have to wonder if its his lack of excitable, gasping cliche-ridden commentary that demotes him to just the half time chat. The majority of the viewing public sadly want this Robbie Savage type rubbish as it's safe and understandable at a Fifa Soccer-level.

I have heard Murphy cover a few games as the co-commentator.

Savage is by the far the worst of a bad bunch mind. Loud, brash and extremely patronising to lower league teams in the game I saw him cover in the FA Cup 1st Round.

Sometimes I do wonder if they would be better by getting some people considered to be knowledgeable, rather than just former players. There are plenty of people out there like Michael Cox who demonstrate an excellent understanding of the tactical side of the game, but are relegated to the odd article while people like Savage, Shearer and others spout twaddle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 47
BIGChris
February 5, 2015, 11:17am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from RoboCod

I agree about Murphy, he is one of the more insightful summarisers but is voice isnt always as enthralling as others/ Phil Neville at times last night sounded like Attenborough finding the eggs of a long lost ooh my goolie bird!
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 47
RoboCod
February 5, 2015, 11:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from biggles9999

I have heard Murphy cover a few games as the co-commentator.

Yeah, I heard him co-commentating without realising who it was in the World Cup a few times and really enjoyed his knowledge. With all this fibre optic/ red button stuff they ought to give us 2 or 3 differing commentary channels.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 47
devon mariner
February 5, 2015, 1:56pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +111
I would also like to add my two pennorth by nominating Andy Townsend who is "the expert summariser" when England games are shown on ITV.  Along with Adrian "what did he ever do" Chiles as 2 of the worst commentators in the world on football.  I believe their adjoined knowledge of football could be written in capitals on the back of a postage stamp. They are a pair of rate tossers.

Forever Black and White
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 47
Maringer
February 5, 2015, 2:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,490
Gold Stars: 185
Chiles was recently given the heave-ho by ITV sport, I believe. Unceremoniously dropped from all their football coverage though I seem to think he's still under contract with them? Wonder who he's drunk off for that to happen? To be fair to him, he was never a commentator, just a presenter and wasn't quite as annoying as some of the other choices.

I think I'm right in saying that Townsend is on his way out from doing the England coverage as well? Thank intercourse for that, is all I can say. The man's punditry has a habit of mixing inanity with utter nonsense - quite how he manages this, I don't know.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 47
grimsby pete
February 5, 2015, 4:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,794
Gold Stars: 222
In the good old days we just had a commentator ,

No need for pundits.

We all know what football is all about, so why do we need someone on loads of money telling us what we have just seen,

When there is a live game on TV, I switch on just before K.O.,

AND

Switch off after the final whistle.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 47
gary_elton
February 5, 2015, 4:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
unless it's Town , of course.....  

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Phil Neville

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.