2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Garth
February 4, 2015, 10:15am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
I am really pleased with the team that PH has assembled with a strong defence and varying options up front and out wide, however our midfield players are all very similar in their style of play and although Dis does his best to get forward into the opponents box,  I would have liked to have seen someone with the driving force and attributes of Cockers or a  Cunnington type player signed permanent or on loan to complete the picture.
Logged Offline
Private Message
BIGChris
February 4, 2015, 10:23am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Loan window opens next week but I dont think anyone else will come in.

I have said previously that i would like someone such as you describe
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
dapperz fun pub
February 4, 2015, 10:33am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Who to fill this role is affordable or available in the lower leagues ? Or who would everyone like even if probs not achievable in leg 2/conference? Just interested
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
Jarmo.Is.God
February 4, 2015, 11:00am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
i thought our midfielders are different actually.

Disley, Attacking minded midfielder
Clay, Defensive minded midfielder
Brown, Box to Box type midfielder
Mclaughlin, calm passing type who can see and execute a pass
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
Maringer
February 4, 2015, 11:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I don't think you could really classify Brown as a box to box player. We are still lacking a bit of pace in central midfield but hopefully, our more mobile attacking options will make this less of an issue. One thing we do have throughout the squad is a willingness to work hard which should be a fundamental part of any professional footballer but, as we have seen many times, often isn't!

I'd guess that the budget for players is pretty much gone for now so, barring an injury crisis, I'd be amazed if a new central midfielder were to be signed on loan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
gary_elton
February 4, 2015, 11:16am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
Brown and Dizzy work well together in midfield... PH just has to choose who else fits there with them

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
Jaws
February 4, 2015, 11:47am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Would have liked Matty Blair here but Mansfield just signed him and now he's out until the end of the season.

Don't particularly follow them but they seem to have a torrid time with injuries.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
diehardmariner
February 4, 2015, 11:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,068
Gold Stars: 518
I think Clay can be that man who can burst beyond the front two, he definitely looks to have all the attributes to do so.  I definitely don't see him as a defensive minded player, more box-to-box.

Disley has the natural tendency to go beyond the strikers and it brings success if only by the sheer number of goals he gets.  Sometimes I think he plays within himself a bit and ends up sitting too deep.  Not sure if that's as per instruction or not.  

Not sure I feel we need to bring anyone in, that would be bringing someone in for the sake of it in my eyes.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
acko338
February 4, 2015, 12:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
With the new options up front, will that not naturally bring more space available to exploit for either of the current midfielders to make use of?

Strikers who can happily go wide can create spaces for Clay, Brown , Disley, and / or Paddy - they all have a decent long range shot - Diz can float in with headers.

The main thing is to keep them all fit and keen, so it's a four way fight for two places, depending on formation and which wingers are fit and in use.

if you're playing a 4/4/2, then both Mackreth and Neilsen come to mind as well as any two from several forwards.

Who'd be a manager with the current squad to keep happy?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
Grimsby2012
February 4, 2015, 1:05pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
I would probably bring a Winger on loan, but that's about it really.

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Midfielder

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.