devs
February 3, 2015, 6:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,960
Gold Stars: 30
Not fussed
Not a great defender IMO - several instances spring to mind where he panicked, lost confidence and faded.
I like solid defenders at this level...and he wasn't that solid

Good luck at Woking but we can do better...and probably have with Robertson
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 130
JMT
February 3, 2015, 6:47pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +473
Gold Stars: 19
Honestly, the only real memory i will keep from Aswad's time here is from the Huddersfield game.

Firstly, how the bloody hell did he not score that header, he hit it at the flipping keeper, anywhere else and that would have increased our lead ffs.
Secondly, is the own goal, for this i can't blame it on him.. just unlucky.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 130
February 3, 2015, 6:55pm
Guest User
Aswad to score a hatrick on Saturday please.
Reply: 82 - 130
acko338
February 3, 2015, 6:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Gone, move on !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 130
Perkins
February 3, 2015, 7:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,964
Gold Stars: 7
When I first saw Aswad playing for Braintree against us  I thought he was possibly the best left back I had seen at Conference level and remember saying that I wished he played for us, so I was delighted when we eventually signed him. Unfortunately consistency is the key to being a good player, and sadly this didn't apply to Aswad. On his day he could be excellent but on others he was prone to going walkabout or lacking concentration too often. Any personal problems the guy has and exactly what they are should remain a private matter, and while we all like a bit of gossip, it's not really our business. However, what goes against the grain for me is the way he was able to sign for one of our rivals while on absence of leave from his club for "personal reasons" Anyway, players come and go and Aswads gone, and luckily we look to have good replacements, and while I don't wish Thomas any ill will, I don't particularly wish him good luck.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 130
fiveallive
February 3, 2015, 7:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
Woking assistant manger said Aswad fell out of favour this season, the guy dosn't know much about football Aswad was injured for the early running games. And was straight in the team as soon as he was fit, The only issue with losing Aswad his is driving force from LB Position.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 130
cmackenzie4
February 3, 2015, 7:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from acko338
Gone, move on !!

Exactly!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 130
rancido
February 3, 2015, 7:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
I know Aswad is getting a lot of flack for possibly being able to play this w/end but the source of his " stress " could have been the fact that he was away from his family and familiar surroundings ? Once he gets back into his " comfort zone " then the situation for him could be totally transformed. I had a job some years ago where , for a while , I had to work well outside my " comfort zone ". It got so bad that I came close to jacking it all in but that area of my duties was removed and the whole problem just went away literally overnight. You have to be in these sort of situations to really understand what it is like and not just snipe from the side lines.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 130
ginnywings
February 3, 2015, 7:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
I wish people would leave this stress angle alone. It was mentioned once and  suddenly, he has mental health problems and we should all feel sorry for him. How does anyone know he has mental health issues or not? He couldn't handle playing for us and is better off at Woking, with less expectation.

All i will say is that as someone who suffers from depression myself and has had some seriously low times in my life, it's a struggle to get out of bed, never mind move home, signing for another team and playing football. FFS, if he was mentally ill, Woking wouldn't have signed him, never mind contemplating playing him next game. He wouldn't be capable.

We can talk all day about the club making him honour his contract and not letting him play for anyone else, but have any of you actually thought that maybe the club couldn't wait to get rid. A model pro he is not, even a wrong footed Magnay is far better, but i have no axe to grind and wish him all the best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 130
grimsby pete
February 3, 2015, 7:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from rancido
I know Aswad is getting a lot of flack for possibly being able to play this w/end but the source of his " stress " could have been the fact that he was away from his family and familiar surroundings ? Once he gets back into his " comfort zone " then the situation for him could be totally transformed. I had a job some years ago where , for a while , I had to work well outside my " comfort zone ". It got so bad that I came close to jacking it all in but that area of my duties was removed and the whole problem just went away literally overnight. You have to be in these sort of situations to really understand what it is like and not just snipe from the side lines.

Thomas was out of contract at the end of the season,

It was him that took the option up oN his contract for a further year,

Not GTFC,

So he could have gone south last May.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 130
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.