2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
gytone
January 31, 2015, 5:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,019
Gold Stars: 7
Don't know if anybody's watching Spanish football on the television, but Eibar are at home to Athletico Madrid and the conditions are terrible, after heavy rain the pitch is sodden, was towns pitchs any worse?! was it called off to early ? I didn't see Blundell Park, but cant help thinking the game has gone soft and perhaps we could've played because after it was called off it became dry and stayed dry for most of the afternoon
Logged Offline
Private Message
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 31, 2015, 5:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,788
Gold Stars: 178
Got to take into account loads of things I guess. And am sure with it being a TV game swayed any decision  

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
Abdul19
January 31, 2015, 5:40pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,496
Gold Stars: 215
Every game's a tv game in Spain!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
Jaws
January 31, 2015, 7:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
I think they called it off when they did in case it got worse. No-one wants to be the ref calling it off at 2.30. They'd rather get stick for it being called off too easily than waste thousands of journeys as opposed to the hundred or so.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
MarinerWY
February 1, 2015, 1:04am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,960
Gold Stars: 47
In Spain the TV companies call the shots even more so than in the UK. And the money from those rights is shared much more inequatably.

And Spanish football is flipping boring to watch, asides from a select few matches. We might be behind on an international level but we have the most exciting and open league system in the world, and we shouldn't sacrifice that for anything. Even if it means not competing at international level, an exciting league is better than a series techincally good but boring 0-0 games until the 80th minute, AKA Italy or much of the Spanish matches.

This has nothing to do with the initial thread, I know. I just got back in and have had a few, and am missing the bueaty of the English game (I live in Spain). What happened last weekend with the FA cup could only have happened in a league strucute like ours: be proud of it!
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
DocTower
February 1, 2015, 8:20am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
It was so unpredictable  yesterday ,  someone had to call the shots . Maybe for the sake of Telford who were presumably  very near to Town when the final decision  was made rather annoying  .   The pitch would have been torn up and taken weeks to repair .  Just glad it was a home game . We now have to hope that Dover won't  go the same way on Tuesday , now that would be a long way for nothing .

Are teams compensated  in situations  like this ? Or is it a grin and bare it .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
forza ivano
February 1, 2015, 10:55am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,127
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from MarinerWY
In Spain the TV companies call the shots even more so than in the UK. And the money from those rights is shared much more inequatably.

And Spanish football is flipping boring to watch, asides from a select few matches. We might be behind on an international level but we have the most exciting and open league system in the world, and we shouldn't sacrifice that for anything. Even if it means not competing at international level, an exciting league is better than a series techincally good but boring 0-0 games until the 80th minute, AKA Italy or much of the Spanish matches.

This has nothing to do with the initial thread, I know. I just got back in and have had a few, and am missing the bueaty of the English game (I live in Spain). What happened last weekend with the FA cup could only have happened in a league strucute like ours: be proud of it!

Dunno which spanish footie you watch but it ain't the footie I go and watch, which apart from tv, is mainly segunda or tercera division.
If having paid £20-25, watching 2 teams boot a long ball up the pitch with lots of chasing n tackling in the freezing cold with cr.ap food n drink then yeah England's the best. Myself I'd prefer to be in say, jaen, watching players who can actually control and pass a ball, in the warm sunshine, lovely stadium surrounded by mountains, nice jamon boccadillo all for 10 or 15 euros. But each to their own!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
forza ivano
February 1, 2015, 8:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,127
Gold Stars: 265
Further news. Just watched Sevilla espanyol .sevilla scraped a 3-2 win in a cracking game.six bookings, espanyol had their keeper sent off. Two incredible goals, sevilla hit the post three times.now watching a very clever, disciplined Villarreal team beating barca 1-0. Very very boring........not!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
Tommy
February 1, 2015, 10:58pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from forza ivano
Further news. Just watched Sevilla espanyol .sevilla scraped a 3-2 win in a cracking game.six bookings, espanyol had their keeper sent off. Two incredible goals, sevilla hit the post three times.now watching a very clever, disciplined Villarreal team beating barca 1-0. Very very boring........not!

Load of rubbish forza. Yesterday I watched the top 2 teams in England play each other and the current league leaders played for a draw in the second half, not having a single shot on target and going to 5 at the back for the last 5/10 minutes despite being the home team. Now that was exciting stuff.  

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
LH
February 1, 2015, 11:05pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,461
Gold Stars: 172
The games between the top two or three are always chess match boring shite in England but most of the Clasicos I've watched have been stop start dive fiestas.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
MarinerWY
February 1, 2015, 11:12pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,960
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from forza ivano

Dunno which spanish footie you watch but it ain't the footie I go and watch, which apart from tv, is mainly segunda or tercera division.
If having paid £20-25, watching 2 teams boot a long ball up the pitch with lots of chasing n tackling in the freezing cold with cr.ap food n drink then yeah England's the best. Myself I'd prefer to be in say, jaen, watching players who can actually control and pass a ball, in the warm sunshine, lovely stadium surrounded by mountains, nice jamon boccadillo all for 10 or 15 euros. But each to their own!

We'll have to agree to disagree then mate. I live in Sevilla and go watch Real Betis regularly (got a friend who often has a spare season ticket) in segunda and it is flipping boring. The football is synthetic and predictable, and no, not very exciting.

The crowd atmosphere is flipping awful. In segunda, away teams bring about 7 away fans. 20 at a push. I remember seeing Betis against Malaga when Betis were still in la liga, and they brought around 30 fans, no more. That is the same number of fans that we frustratingly complain about in our fifth league. Can you imagine a premiership or championship team bringing less than 30 fans to any ground?

Add to that the stop-start of someone rolling around in false agony everytime there is a free-kick, and you have a boring atmosphere.

What happened last weekend symbolised what is so beautiful about the english league: a league 1 side beating the top club in the country. Reckon Oviedo could beat Madrid or Barcelona? Most Spanish fans don't have a clue who is in segunda, let alone segunda b,

And in case the charge might be made that I am bias being from the UK, this is an opinion shared by all my Spanish, Italian and Dutch friends here: they all look to the UK league as being one of the most exciting leagues, with the best support from Premiership to Conference (tell me, how many fans to Barcelona B team bring when they play in Segunda? How many Spaniards even know what the fourth division in their country is called?) and in general local club culture.

P.S: i's still 20 quid minimum to get into Betis. And you can't compare price for price: tak einto account average salaries in that, and you'll find a similar picture to infalted UK prices.

P.P.S: I proudly wear my Town top here: when people ask me who I support, and subsequently where we are in "the league", and I tell them we are in the fifth division, they either look amazed at the concept that such a club still sells shirts, or ask me "yeah, but who do you support in the premiership?" In fact, it's very common here to hear fans saying "I support Real Betis and Real Madrid" or "Sevilla and Barcelona" - including supporting two teams in the same division, on which is your "local team" and one of the two of el-classico. I much prefer the local and/or family history based support for your club that we have in the UK. "Grimsby and....? No, just Grimsby. The fact that we pull the support we do given our league position amazes people from all over Europe.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Spanish football and weather

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.