MarinerWY
February 1, 2015, 11:12pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,985
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from forza ivano

Dunno which spanish footie you watch but it ain't the footie I go and watch, which apart from tv, is mainly segunda or tercera division.
If having paid £20-25, watching 2 teams boot a long ball up the pitch with lots of chasing n tackling in the freezing cold with cr.ap food n drink then yeah England's the best. Myself I'd prefer to be in say, jaen, watching players who can actually control and pass a ball, in the warm sunshine, lovely stadium surrounded by mountains, nice jamon boccadillo all for 10 or 15 euros. But each to their own!

We'll have to agree to disagree then mate. I live in Sevilla and go watch Real Betis regularly (got a friend who often has a spare season ticket) in segunda and it is flipping boring. The football is synthetic and predictable, and no, not very exciting.

The crowd atmosphere is flipping awful. In segunda, away teams bring about 7 away fans. 20 at a push. I remember seeing Betis against Malaga when Betis were still in la liga, and they brought around 30 fans, no more. That is the same number of fans that we frustratingly complain about in our fifth league. Can you imagine a premiership or championship team bringing less than 30 fans to any ground?

Add to that the stop-start of someone rolling around in false agony everytime there is a free-kick, and you have a boring atmosphere.

What happened last weekend symbolised what is so beautiful about the english league: a league 1 side beating the top club in the country. Reckon Oviedo could beat Madrid or Barcelona? Most Spanish fans don't have a clue who is in segunda, let alone segunda b,

And in case the charge might be made that I am bias being from the UK, this is an opinion shared by all my Spanish, Italian and Dutch friends here: they all look to the UK league as being one of the most exciting leagues, with the best support from Premiership to Conference (tell me, how many fans to Barcelona B team bring when they play in Segunda? How many Spaniards even know what the fourth division in their country is called?) and in general local club culture.

P.S: i's still 20 quid minimum to get into Betis. And you can't compare price for price: tak einto account average salaries in that, and you'll find a similar picture to infalted UK prices.

P.P.S: I proudly wear my Town top here: when people ask me who I support, and subsequently where we are in "the league", and I tell them we are in the fifth division, they either look amazed at the concept that such a club still sells shirts, or ask me "yeah, but who do you support in the premiership?" In fact, it's very common here to hear fans saying "I support Real Betis and Real Madrid" or "Sevilla and Barcelona" - including supporting two teams in the same division, on which is your "local team" and one of the two of el-classico. I much prefer the local and/or family history based support for your club that we have in the UK. "Grimsby and....? No, just Grimsby. The fact that we pull the support we do given our league position amazes people from all over Europe.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 10
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Spanish football and weather

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.