Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Game off !!
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 160 Guests

Game off !!

This thread currently has 8,606 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
gary_elton
February 3, 2015, 7:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
Town v Sunderland.... Snow... water all over the pitch , Dave Gilbert came on wearing water wings and a snorkel..

abandoned after a few minutes...   bloody farce  !!

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 52
Maringer
February 3, 2015, 7:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I remember that Sunderland game. I have a feeling it is the only one I've seen abandoned at BP for really bad weather, though I've seen one or two stopped due to fog.

On the other hand, I remember a game over Christmas some years ago against Coventry, I think. Possibly Boxing Day - the pitch was absolutely frozen solid and it was like both sets of players were ice-skating around. I seem to remember that one of their short-bottom players managed to dribble it past half our team (who could barely stand up) to score the winner. Mike Marsh, perhaps?

No chance of the referee stopping that game, but it wouldn't even have started in the modern day!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 52
Perkins
February 3, 2015, 7:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,964
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from gary_elton
Town v Sunderland.... Snow... water all over the pitch , Dave Gilbert came on wearing water wings and a snorkel..

abandoned after a few minutes...   bloody farce  !!

Think that game only went ahead because the TV cameras were there and if I remember correctly at the time clubs only got paid by the TV companies if the game started. As you say, a bloody farce.

I do remember going all the way to Carlisle on the train one Saturday years ago to see us play and getting within 200 yard s of the ground only to be told by a bunch of their fans walking away from the ground that the game was off due to fog.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Game off !!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.