This thread currently has 8,414 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Biccys
January 28, 2015, 10:17am
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
I admit I never went and relied on JT and Big Chris' commentary (very well done too BTW!) but bringing on Parslow made no sense to me either.

Especially as we were squandering SO MANY chances (again I reiterate I wasn't there and relied on JT's commentary) but the substitution that would have made sense to me was to bring Hamish on?!

If we were missing loads of chances, keep them coming but put on the guy that has been heralded as "he can certainly finish" by PH!!

Am I being too gung ho or was the defensive aspect of our game requiring a boost?

Opinions please...

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 42
gobby
January 28, 2015, 10:26am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +772
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Biccys
I admit I never went and relied on JT and Big Chris' commentary (very well done too BTW!) but bringing on Parslow made no sense to me either.

Especially as we were squandering SO MANY chances (again I reiterate I wasn't there and relied on JT's commentary) but the substitution that would have made sense to me was to bring Hamish on?!

If we were missing loads of chances, keep them coming but put on the guy that has been heralded as "he can certainly finish" by PH!!
Am I being too gung ho or was the defensive aspect of our game requiring a boost?
Opinions please...

The changes Eastleigh made packed their midfield and they started to over run us in the last 5 minutes, we only really had Clay n Disley in there so IMO  we certainly need to strengthen and close the gaps in midfield, and by dropping Parslow in there did the trick so credit to PH
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
barralad
January 28, 2015, 10:42am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from gobby

The changes Eastleigh made packed their midfield and they started to over run us in the last 5 minutes, we only really had Clay n Disley in there so IMO  we certainly need to strengthen and close the gaps in midfield, and by dropping Parslow in there did the trick so credit to PH
UTMM

Couldn't agree more with this. Parslow came on for the last fifteen minutes. It is my opinion that had he not come on those last 15 minutes would have been far more nerve wracking than they were for those listening on the radio. Hurst's 4-5-1 formation has paid dividends on the road this season and whatever (alleged) faults there are with his abilities to manage forwards into a credible force he certainly knows how to set a team up defensively.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
RichMariner
January 28, 2015, 11:07am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
Our defensive record this season is excellent. The only blip we've had came in those home games against Lincoln and Macclesfield when Toto was suspended. I know he picks up yellows regularly and gives us hearts-in-mouths moments, but our record when he plays is very decent.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
Garth
January 28, 2015, 11:19am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Bringing Parslow on was a piece of good defensive management, they brought on two fresh subs to try to over run our( three matches in a week midfield) I`m not normally a Parslow admirer especially at full back but he was needed to protect the back four last night and it was a great substitution by Hurst, well done PH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
barralad
January 28, 2015, 11:28am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Excellent trip down courtesy of Terry's Battle Bus. Welcomed into their supporters club bar where, as already reported, their Chairman thanked us for coming and bought drinks. Met some very knowledgeable locals one of whom had been to 1700+ grounds to watch football!
The game itself was all Town certainly for the first hour. The back four (with Mags restored to his favoured position) were rarely troubled. Pearson must have really big pockets because he now has Constable in there alongside Akinde. Robertson looks like the unflustered, no-nonsense defender that Aswad wasn't although it's early days to say whether he can make the same impact going forward.
Arnold had far and away his best 45 minutes in a Town shirt. He has a lot of skill, quick feet and the ability to pick out a pass. I'd love to see the stats for the amount of moves in Town's first 30 minutes he fashioned or contributed to.
Palmer continued where he left off on Saturday-willing to run, and run, and run...His goal was as much about his persistence as any skill factor. For a defender at this level it must be a pretty scary prospect to see LJL and Palmer bearing down on you
The only down-side was the profligacy in front of goal but the defence were so on top that strangely it almost seemed not to matter.
Second half they gave it more of a go. Fortunately Hurst was alert to the warning signs of being overrun in midfield as three games in 7 days began to take a toll on Clay in particular.
The old failing of giving away free kicks in dangerous areas came back to haunt us making the last 10 minutes a bit more nervy than they deserved to be on the balance of play.
I was surprised to see Jolley start and feel it is too early to make statements about what he will be like. I think I read somewhere that he is a confidence player. His head went down a wee bit after he blazed the ball over the bar from a very good position in front of goal but he saw plenty of the ball and made some useful runs/passes before being substituted.
No-one played badly but if I had to nominate a MOM it would just be Palmer from Pearson.
Back on the bus and away by 9:50 with our box of pies and sausage rolls which, thankfully, due to Big Mick's absence actually did make it past the first row of seats...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
Garth
January 28, 2015, 11:33am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Robertson was that good that he was a complete shoe in within the back four, Toto and Pearson were outstanding and Magnay well just his normal game 3 divs above plus I thought Macca commanded his area from corners well and only had one real shot to save all match, a champions defence
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
Mighty_Mariner
January 28, 2015, 5:03pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Anothe great comment from the Eastleighfans:

"Grimsby were by far the best side i have seen this season and not only the best, but the best team to watch aswell, with their fast exciting brand of football, where they looked to attack as quickly as they possibly could everytime one of our forward moves broke down. The blatantly obvious tactic & one that made me painfully jealous of their talented team, was that i enjoyed how they got the ball wide and then moved it with pace down the flanks."

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 28, 2015, 6:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,642
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
Anothe great comment from the Eastleighfans:

"Grimsby were by far the best side i have seen this season and not only the best, but the best team to watch aswell, with their fast exciting brand of football, where they looked to attack as quickly as they possibly could everytime one of our forward moves broke down. The blatantly obvious tactic & one that made me painfully jealous of their talented team, was that i enjoyed how they got the ball wide and then moved it with pace down the flanks."

Well If the new signings have really given us this much desired approach I must applaud PH who I have to say has not enjoyed much support from me over the past 12 months. One ( or two) swallows do not make a summer but heres hoping.

Great result and by all accounts a great performance. Well done to all especially those fans who made the long journey as it these fans who deserve success the most.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
BIGChris
January 28, 2015, 6:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
I have to say I found Eastleigh to be welcoming and friendly with a good playing surface too.

The 'big' stand behind one goal was a bit like a box but overall a decent non league ground with friendly and hospitable people.

Great turn out from Mariners fans and the majority are people from NE lincs as opposed to London Mariners
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.