horsforthmariner
January 27, 2015, 1:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,580
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from ginnywings

No we wouldn't. Winning our remaining 16 games would give us 101 points, so there is some leeway and if we beat Barnet again, that would give us a bit more leeway. Who you beat is often as important as winning.

Not that i think this will happen but..............................

Yeah my maths was a bit dodgy there - still it does mean we can only drop 7 points so 13 wins and a draw to beat Barnet on present form. That's a tough ask
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
oldun
January 27, 2015, 2:08pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Out of interest, have Barnet been top since the start of the season. If so has any team in this league remained top from beginning to end?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
Les Brechin
January 27, 2015, 3:05pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,689
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from oldun
Out of interest, have Barnet been top since the start of the season. If so has any team in this league remained top from beginning to end?

Barnet won their first 2 games but then lost at home to Lincoln and Halifax were top of the table for about 2 weeks. Barnet then got back on top and have been there ever since.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28718580

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 26
mariner paul
January 27, 2015, 3:45pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +30
No chance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
ginnywings
January 27, 2015, 3:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,084
Gold Stars: 547
Quoted from horsforthmariner

Yeah my maths was a bit dodgy there - still it does mean we can only drop 7 points so 13 wins and a draw to beat Barnet on present form. That's a tough ask

Yep, very tough, which is why i think we are play off bound again, as i have done for most of the season after our slow start, which gave us too much to do to win the league outright.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 26
LongEatonMariner
January 27, 2015, 4:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Here is the problem - Barnet are running at present at 2 points per game if they continue with that they will end up on 93 points.
we have 16 games left - to overhaul that target we would have to win EVERY game. To draw level with them would only allow us 1 draw.

We are totally reliant on Barnet dipping - it's possible they could combust but I reckon they will still win the title. Having said that we've got a great record against the top half which bodes well for the play offs.

Well they won't win every game because they will lose to at least one team before the end of the season....us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
LondonMariner43
January 27, 2015, 6:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64

I agree and the positivity/striker signings should have been made at the START of the season to give us a proper shot at the title.

It makes it all the more frustrating for me when signings like Jolley and Palmer should surely have been on our radar pre season. Not those two specifically but similar.

On the plus side, I said a while back that having cocked up pre season, the club had a duty to try to give us the best chance in the play offs if we make them, so I applaud them for getting in players who should give us a better chance of getting to Wembley.    

My gut feeling is that Hurst was after these players, or similar, in the summer but couldn't close out the deals - hence the hairs on neck comments.  

Fair play to him for sticking at it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town for the title

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.