3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
denni266
January 23, 2015, 9:01pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +700
Gold Stars: 132
Why is it that everyone knows he does not like or play best on the left hand side ,, that people keep trying to shoe horn him in to the team.. he is a flipping center mid not a winger/ left sided player... cos if he dont do miracles out there he will get slated as useless or not interested
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 28
January 23, 2015, 9:20pm
Guest User
In my opinion, Paddy can only play in a midfield three like he did at York. He lacks the mentality to win headers or put himself about. I think he is talented, but without the aggression a good central midfielder needs, he is a passenger if we play 4-4-2.

I think he was signed when Scott / Hurst intended to play 4-3-3 but they couldn't make it work.
Reply: 21 - 28
diehardmariner
January 23, 2015, 10:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,412
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from benny_the_docker
I think Paddy might get his chance tomorrow as Brown is still injured, from the knock he took on the knee last Saturday. Love paddy, great footballer! http://youtu.be/WGhcTBp_n74
Check this link out for a great video montage of paddy when he played for Newcastle reserves!

Couple of points.  Easy to make a player look good on YouTube and quite a few of his long rangey cross field passes were relatively easy with no pressure on him, I would expect a player of any basic ability to able to make those.  Some of the clips certainly do show that he appears to have the footballing brain and the technical ability to pull the strings.

That said I think part of the problem with Paddy is that the expectation is that he's the player we've got who can link midfield and attack, perhaps run past the two front men when everything I've seen of him he looks to be more of a deep lying midfielder who wants to pick the ball up deep and try to dictate play.  

I've expressed before that I don't think, based on his performances so far in a Town shirt, that he would be anywhere near the starting eleven with everyone fit and on form.  However the balance element is very important too.  As good as the Barnet display was, we didn't have a natural left sided player on the pitch and at times it showed with the pattern of play somewhat predictable as it from from right to left but rarely left to right.    

It's not just about left and right though, it's just as much about the tempo of the game.   Our midfield looks at its best when the tempo is high, less so when it requires something a bit cuter and more patient.  I think Disley, Clay and to a lesser extent Brown are all decent technically at this level.  Disley and Clay especially have the legs and stamina to run beyond front men and in my opinion should be encouraged to do so more.  Brown is the little terrier dog in that he's there to snap at the heels of opposition players, win the ball back and probably give the ball to someone a bit better on the ball (that's not said as a slur on his game, every team needs a player like this).    What we do lack is a player who will stop the ball 50-40 yards out, look up and see nothing is on so bring it backwards to drag an opposition defence out, pick the ball back up and wait until the opening comes.  Could Paddy be that player?  Possibly. But if he is fitting him in becomes the problem - who do you drop, the legs or the workhorse?  

This division is, in my horse, a case of horses for courses.  There's some games, Barnet is a great example, where you want tenacity so you go Brown and Disley but there should be more than enough games against lesser opposition (especially at home) when we need to realise there's more than one way to skin a cat.  

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 28
Les Brechin
January 23, 2015, 10:53pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,690
Gold Stars: 174
Surely it's a no brainer. If everyone is fit we should go with the same starting XI that saw off Barnet.

If a professional footballer can't play 3 games in  8 days, then they're in the wrong business.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 28
RichMariner
January 24, 2015, 12:26am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
Quoted from Chrisblor
I don't think it's a coincidence that we smashed Gateshead 6-1 and Alfreton 7-0 during his last sustained run in the team. We were well on top using the same formation against Aldershot before LJL stupidly got himself sent off as well so I really don't understand why Hurst hasn't even attempted to return to the that selection and formation since.

Agree. Situations change, of course, but it does make you wonder if we'll ever give that system another try. It was so offensive and brash and just the kind of approach that blew away a poor side in Alfreton.

I remember a couple of seasons ago when we topped the table at Christmas - Cook and Hannah looked a real partnership, with Neilson cutting in from the left and feeding them both in a pretty ordinary 4-4-2. That was the formula that worked. At that time, Cook began to look the part and Hannah, well, we thought he was the bees knees.

Then January happened. The deal to sign Hannah permanently stalled a bit, in came Brodie, and when Hannah was eventually signed he was benched. Did Scott and Hurst ever return to that Cook/Hannah/Neilson formula again that season?

Barely, if at all.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 24 - 28
Abdul19
January 24, 2015, 12:45am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
No, because Neilson had left

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 28
chaos33
January 25, 2015, 2:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Another good contribution from the bench yesterday with an assist from the corner for the second goal and a great effort cutting in left to right that the keeper saved well.
Good on Ross Hannah too for reminding everyone of what he offers.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 28
Hagrid
January 25, 2015, 2:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,387
Gold Stars: 528
Quoted from chaos33
Another good contribution from the bench yesterday with an assist from the corner for the second goal and a great effort cutting in left to right that the keeper saved well.
Good on Ross Hannah too for reminding everyone of what he offers.

hate to be picky but it'll go down as toto's assist
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 28
chaos33
January 25, 2015, 2:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
If you like. Toto's great header and a good delivery for the corner.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paddy

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.