Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › new player coming in ( MAYBE)!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 302 Guests

new player coming in ( MAYBE)!

This thread currently has 24,442 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 16, 2015, 5:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from petethemariner
Yes and i seem to remember he scored arguably our best goal of the season, at Gateshead a 25 yarder from a
central position, which perhaps backs up my point - how many other 'screamers' have we scored from distance
this season? Not many, if any.

Very true Pete. I think he isn't played there because he doesn't fit the profile of a Hurst forward. From Neilson you get 100% or 0%, a notional average attacking contribution of 50%. Hurst would rather play someone who always gives him 50% attacking flair all the time. Neilson isn't consistent but we all know that. If you bring in a player like him you have to compromise elsewhere to make up for the infuriating times he loses the ball while knowing that two or three times in a game he is going to make or score a chance nobody else could. Hurst prefers not to take the risk, just play solid and hope for a break.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 129
petethemariner
January 16, 2015, 6:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Some good points RRFC, i d'ont know about you though, but i cannot remember a season when so few goals
from distance have been scored, if you look at the Lincoln game, that thunderbolt the lad scored for their first from
distance is the sort of thing Scott could do on a  reasonable basis IMO, we d'ont seem to have the flair to break down
stubborn defensive minded teams , particularly at BP and sometimes you. need to rely on a spectacular goal
Neilson in there might not work, i just feel it could be worth a go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 129
Teestogreen
January 16, 2015, 6:59pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from pontoonlew

He has been used in his best position, for about 3 games.

We scored 14 goals....

Totally agree -  I saw the first one of these and he was unplayable and at the top of his game, with Pittman and John - Lewis firing on all cylinders as well, the season looked rosy. Particularly with Clay, Brown and McLaughlin  completing a diamond in midfield (Clay at the back of the diamond and Neilson at the front of the diamond). The manager has not recognised the success of the formation that he selected in the Gateshead, Alfreton and Aldershot games (yes we lost at Aldershot but were the best side) and here we are (most of the players are available that played in those games) struggling to score a goal in any game.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 129
kingster72
January 17, 2015, 5:54pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -7
Jolley didn't play for Newport today, Whalley played for Luton. Whoever has accepted an offer, would not have played that player today.  Could it be Jolley?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 129
ginnywings
January 17, 2015, 8:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,112
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from kingster72
Jolley didn't play for Newport today, Whalley played for Luton. Whoever has accepted an offer, would not have played that player today.  Could it be Jolley?

Or a player on loan somewhere else who's loan ends today maybe?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 129
chaos33
January 17, 2015, 8:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Well I asked two of my York City contacts for an opinion on Miekle today. Oh dear. Wish I hadn't bothered.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 129
jimgtfc
January 17, 2015, 8:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,094
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from chaos33
Well I asked two of my York City contacts for an opinion on Miekle today. Oh dear. Wish I hadn't bothered.

That sounds like our man  

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 129
chaos33
January 17, 2015, 8:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
I know. One said: 'He's done nothing this season and has looked bl00dy awful' and the other said, 'he runs about a lot and tries hard, but he doesn't get to the byeline, doesn't get crosses in, doesn't score or set up goals. I can't see what you'd want with him'.

I do hope it isn't him as these are quotes from a STH and a former YCFC employee.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 129
The Singing Fisherman
January 17, 2015, 8:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +400
Miekle was one of mansfields best players in there promotion season. Maybe the league is a step to high at this time for him. Still think it's jolley thou. But could be neither.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 129
January 17, 2015, 8:21pm
Guest User
Really hope it is Jolley. He offers something different to what all our other strikers have and he was the difference in the play-off games against us.
Reply: 79 - 129
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › new player coming in ( MAYBE)!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.