Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › new player coming in ( MAYBE)!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 220 Guests

new player coming in ( MAYBE)!

This thread currently has 24,440 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
LongEatonMariner
January 15, 2015, 8:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from LongEatonMariner

So I get it, you're going to ruin every thread on here by turning into being about you. Maybe you should get your own forum?

Sorry, I heard maybe you should get your own forum

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 129
Teestogreen
January 15, 2015, 9:20pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from chaos33
If we sign another ex York player I will probably throw in the towel and never go again  

Even if it was Michael Coulson?

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 129
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 15, 2015, 10:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from jonnyboy82

no doubt that this lad can win games though on his day.

We can soon knock that out of him!!!

Serious though, the guy sounds useful, but so did makreath et al. Would just like these players to do what comes natural to them and not over coached

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 129
Tommy
January 15, 2015, 10:47pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Depends what we mean by "over-coached".

Receiving a lot of coaching can't be a bad thing. Surely it only adds to the player's knowledge or technical ability. Its then down to the players decision-making to put it into action.

Where we possibly fall down, I think, is taking away a bit of creative freedom/flexibility from players like this. The set-up of the team and the approach/tactics we have, clearly make us more solid as a defensive unit. But we've had a few attacking players (wingers ) that have possibly had their defensive responsibilities prioritised so much that it takes away from their attacking capabilities.

Nielson likes to drift off from the line and move into areas where the opposition aren't sure who should be picking him up. It gets him into good positions, causes their organisation to be disrupted, and creates space elsewhere (for full backs to exploit for example). But he often finds himself out of the team or substituted.

I could be making more of this than there is. But it is a shame when we've seen people play so well against us who don't /can't recreate this in the black & white stripes.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 129
headingly_mariner
January 16, 2015, 10:51am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Tommy

Receiving a lot of coaching can't be a bad thing. Surely it only adds to the player's knowledge or technical ability. Its then down to the players decision-making to put it into action.

Where we possibly fall down, I think, is taking away a bit of creative freedom/flexibility from players like this. The set-up of the team and the approach/tactics we have, clearly make us more solid as a defensive unit. But we've had a few attacking players (wingers ) that have possibly had their defensive responsibilities prioritised so much that it takes away from their attacking capabilities.

Nielson likes to drift off from the line and move into areas where the opposition aren't sure who should be picking him up. It gets him into good positions, causes their organisation to be disrupted, and creates space elsewhere (for full backs to exploit for example). But he often finds himself out of the team or substituted.

I could be making more of this than there is. But it is a shame when we've seen people play so well against us who don't /can't recreate this in the black & white stripes.

He was chucked back in for the Lincoln game, this was not due to an injury to anyone else, so I would suggest he just lost his place after a bit of poor form. Sadly he was injured after 30 minutes, I ilke to see him in the team, I think we have looked really exciting when we have played 433 with him and pittman playing with the Shop.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 129
MuddyWaters
January 16, 2015, 11:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Tommy

We have players with flair who are not encouraged to play with freedom/to their strengths. I know this for a fact, please don't shoot the messenger.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 129
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 16, 2015, 11:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We have players with flair who are not encouraged to play with freedom/to their strengths. I know this for a fact, please don't shoot the messenger.

This in a nutshell

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 129
friskneymariner
January 16, 2015, 11:39am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Rodney Marsh first raised the issue of over coaching back in his playing days.This is one of the reasons he did not play for England as much as he should,that and the alleged comment when Sir Alf is reportedly said to him ' I going to play you for the first half and pull you off at half time'

Rodney replied that's nice Alf we only get an orange at Q.P.R.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 129
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 16, 2015, 12:49pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
It makes you wonder though. Why sign or re-sign a player like Neilson if you are not going to play him and let him do what he does best? The same applies to Arnold. Presumably they are expected to stay on the touchline and run up and down a 10 yard wide channel but neither is that kind of player. Both have scored great goals by moving infield and both have created goals by doing the unexpected.

I have no idea exactly what the manager tells the players but we must see the result on the field don't we? From that evidence it looks as though he wants them to work in military discipline which is fine when you don't have the ball and stopping the other side from playing but obviously restrictive going forward. It seems a bit of a philosophy of fear to me.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 129
gtfc98
January 16, 2015, 1:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
It's plain for all to see that Arnold should just stick to his hairdressing. He's bloody useless. Nielson on the other hand should be starting every week. I don't understand the criticism he gets from Hurst, especially considering how bad Arnold has been.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 129
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › new player coming in ( MAYBE)!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.