4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
horsforthmariner
January 15, 2015, 11:19am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,610
Gold Stars: 9
To be fair if there's one position I would want to fill it's our wingers. I like Neilson but he does drift in and out of games and he clearly isn't a Hurst favourite. I actually think he's better as a playmaker I'd love to see him given a go in a more central role.

Arnold is either good or awful. When he's working hard he looks good but he can be dreadful. I've not been impressed by Jack Macraith - too lightweight doesn't do another at the business end,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
Maringer
January 15, 2015, 11:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,489
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I don't believe that we can sign the 2 or 3 players we need to get us through the play offs . Simple as that .

I think we certainly can sign 2 or 3 good players. Whether or not we actually will is a different matter.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 37
jonnyboy82
January 15, 2015, 11:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from horsforthmariner
To be fair if there's one position I would want to fill it's our wingers. I like Neilson but he does drift in and out of games and he clearly isn't a Hurst favourite. I actually think he's better as a playmaker I'd love to see him given a go in a more central role.

Arnold is either good or awful. When he's working hard he looks good but he can be dreadful. I've not been impressed by Jack Macraith - too lightweight doesn't do another at the business end,

Mackreth has for me been the most disappointing signing after coming here as supposedly one of the conferences best wingers.

He tore us apart when he played us and I remember seeing him on the TV in a match and scored 2 good goals and was the best player on the pitch.

been very average for us.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 37
cmackenzie4
January 15, 2015, 11:34am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Bottom line is on paper we have made some good signings in Mackreth, Brown and Arnold but these players have not delivered and we need to know why, it seems very strange that good players can sign for us and become mediocre over night.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 37
Maringer
January 15, 2015, 11:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,489
Gold Stars: 185
I remember Mackreth as being very good against us, but I do wonder how much of that was the fact he was playing against Lee Ridley at the time.

Most surprising is his relative lack of pace. I remembered him as being really quick, but he only seems quick-ish and he rarely takes on the opposition defenders down the line, his best work coming when he cuts inside (on rare occasions) and runs towards the centre of their defence.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
jonnyboy82
January 15, 2015, 11:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Maringer
I remember Mackreth as being very good against us, but I do wonder how much of that was the fact he was playing against Lee Ridley at the time.

Most surprising is his relative lack of pace. I remembered him as being really quick, but he only seems quick-ish and he rarely takes on the opposition defenders down the line, his best work coming when he cuts inside (on rare occasions) and runs towards the centre of their defence.

yep, he was rapid against us but his pace has not followed with him to us, I remember hurst saying he had an injury for most of the season which has been with him , maybe this is the problem ?

intercourse knows.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
ginnywings
January 15, 2015, 11:58am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Don't know how true it is but i was told we were close to paying a fee for someone last week.

I'll believe it when i see it.

Either way, we need more goals or we are going nowhere again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 15, 2015, 1:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from ginnywings
Don't know how true it is but i was told we were close to paying a fee for someone last week.

Would agree with that but feel we need 3 signings to really make the difference, 2 if Ollie proves to be a goal scorer, that would be quality wide man and commanding midfield player who has pace to support and get beyond the strikers. Would probably also need Neilson moving into that role between midfield and striker.

If Aswad has left a left footed attacking full back, a la Newton, would be good but not against given Winfarrah a run and it will make or break his chance of a career with town.

Certainly IMO Magnay has to be our attacking right back as Parslow cannot undertake the overlapping role.

What PH said in GET not wide of the mark but seeing is believing!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 37
DocTower
January 15, 2015, 1:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
One way or another these younger pro's  we have given contracts to should be given a chance .  Let's see what they can do in a real game , they can't  be as bad as what we have been witnessing just lately providing they are aloud to express themselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 37
forza ivano
January 15, 2015, 1:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,161
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from ginnywings

this would tie in with the post on last nights match thread that we were targeting messi  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The hairs on the back of our necks

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.