2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
January 14, 2015, 5:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
So in today's Telewag, Chris Doig tells us that the opponents at BP get told to turn the fans against our own players. Well I suppose it's a change from Fenty and then Hurst having a go at the fans. I guess we should expect something from Diz before the weekend.

Simple solution - give us something to be proud of and we'll cheer till we're blue in the face!

Private Message
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 14, 2015, 6:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MuddyWaters
So in today's Telewag, Chris Doig tells us that the opponents at BP get told to turn the fans against our own players. Well I suppose it's a change from Fenty and then Hurst having a go at the fans. I guess we should expect something from Diz before the weekend.

Simple solution - give us something to be proud of and we'll cheer till we're blue in the face!

What new about Doig's revelation though? Shankly used to tell his Liverpool players to do the same thing. Quieten the crowd. Standard procedure for sides playing away. At home they used to set off like a train to make sure the Kop was well roused - that's the part of the philosophy that Town need to work on.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
RoboCod
January 14, 2015, 6:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505

..... At home they used to set off like a train to make sure the Kop was well roused - that's the part of the philosophy that Town need to work on.

And their corners

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
moosey_club
January 14, 2015, 9:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
It was James Mckeown saying it on the radio before the game on Saturday.....at least the club have a united front.....blame the fans !!

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
barralad
January 14, 2015, 10:20pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Having actually read the article there was some recognition that the players have to do their bit and an understanding of the fans frustrations. Couldn't find much to argue with really....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
GrimRob
January 14, 2015, 10:44pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
tt's a pretty standard tactic of big club v small club in any division, so it's hardly a revelation. Virtually every game falls into that category at BP because hardly anyone brings many away fans.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 16
January 15, 2015, 4:46am
Guest User
I'm sick of reading this drivel from board members, management and players. The simple facts are we are two divisions from our natural level, into out forth season as a non league team and we aren't doing well enough. We know the current players aren't reponsible, we don't ask or expect them to play like Town sides of yesteryear but we do expect them to give everything they've got. In this league, we do expect to see us on the front foot, especially at home and we expect to see the majority of home games ending up with three points to Grimsby. There are pressures at this club as we are so unacceptably low in the pyramid, the players must know that when they sign. But do well for this club and you will be a hero, our away support is fantastic, at home we just need a bit more on the pitch from the players, and the manager.

Instead, we stand off the opposition. We start games slowly and allow the opponents to gain confidence. I do feel the team is shackled, maybe PH is telling then to go and play with freedom, to play at a good tempo, full backs pushing on, high line (especially when Nsalia and Azza play) but it isn't happening time and time again.

Certain players could start by running around a bit more, saying less to the telewag and doing their talking on the pitch.
Reply: 6 - 16
Abdul19
January 15, 2015, 11:41am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Fifth

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
GiveUsAG
January 15, 2015, 3:25pm

Neither above nor beneath
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +530
I think people now need to stop moaning about our performances and get behind the team in hope they do better in the next game. Don't get me wrong, yeah I am disappointed, but come on, bloody move on will you? We LET the disappointment of a last game hang over us way too long.

It's what happens next that matters now.  

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/mvnser.png[/IMG]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
arryarryarry
January 15, 2015, 5:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,944
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from GiveUsAG
I think people now need to stop moaning about our performances and get behind the team in hope they do better in the next game. Don't get me wrong, yeah I am disappointed, but come on, bloody move on will you? We LET the disappointment of a last game hang over us way too long.

It's what happens next that matters now.  

Oh FFS.

People or where I sit don't walk into the ground moaning I am sure everyone hopes we will do better than the last game.

It's when they see some players fartarsing around the pitch that people start to moan.

So how about sending a note to the players asking them to do their bit rather than fuckingbleating on about the fans yet again.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
GiveUsAG
January 15, 2015, 6:18pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Oh FFS.

People or where I sit don't walk into the ground moaning I am sure everyone hopes we will do better than the last game.

It's when they see some players fartarsing around the pitch that people start to moan.

So how about sending a note to the players asking them to do their bit rather than fuckingbleating on about the fans yet again.

I ain't blaming the fans. But by my observation I have noticed that fans moan for too long after a disappointing performance. I like many, just don't see how moaning for the whole week repeating yourselves over and over will make any difference, if anything all it does is depress the excrement out of anyone who was a tiny bit optimistic, or had any hope for a better game against our next opponents. Meaning it's a negative atmosphere before a ball's even kicked in the next game.

I'm not saying that's why the team play crap. In my opinion, they get paid to a job, they don't even have to like the fans, at the end of the day they're paid to play football (and train, that is all). If they can't do that, then they're in the wrong profession.

My point in the first place was, there has to be a point were criticism must cease, in order to get behind the team in HOPE that they go out and beat our next opponents.

I've seen some say they don't get excited any more, or look forward to the next game. This is simply because you're still looking back at the last performance and letting the negativity of disappointment depress you. Or you try and be positive, try and forget the last performance in attempt to look forward to the next game and try and be a little optimistic, but then get shot down and depressed by those pessimists who refuse to leave the last game's performance behind them and move on, hoping for the best.

I said not so long ago, "They say there isn't any consistency, I said they're wrong, our fans have always been consistently fickle."   

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
MuddyWaters
January 15, 2015, 6:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from GiveUsAG

I ain't blaming the fans. But by my observation I have noticed that fans moan for too long after a disappointing performance. I like many, just don't see how moaning for the whole week repeating yourselves over and over will make any difference, if anything all it does is depress the excrement out of anyone who was a tiny bit optimistic, or had any hope for a better game against our next opponents. Meaning it's a negative atmosphere before a ball's even kicked in the next game.

I'm not saying that's why the team play crap. In my opinion, they get paid to a job, they don't even have to like the fans, at the end of the day they're paid to play football (and train, that is all). If they can't do that, then they're in the wrong profession.

My point in the first place was, there has to be a point were criticism must cease, in order to get behind the team in HOPE that they go out and beat our next opponents.

I've seen some say they don't get excited any more, or look forward to the next game. This is simply because you're still looking back at the last performance and letting the negativity of disappointment depress you. Or you try and be positive, try and forget the last performance in attempt to look forward to the next game and try and be a little optimistic, but then get shot down and depressed by those pessimists who refuse to leave the last game's performance behind them.

I said not so long ago, "They say there isn't any consistency, I said they're wrong, our fans have always been consistently fickle."   

Let's hope Saturday is a watershed. I think you've got to remember though that poor starts have been a common denominator in some pretty poor home performances.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 15, 2015, 6:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from GiveUsAG

I've seen some say they don't get excited any more, or look forward to the next game. This is simply because you're still looking back at the last performance and letting the negativity of disappointment depress you. Or you try and be positive, try and forget the last performance in attempt to look forward to the next game and try and be a little optimistic, but then get shot down and depressed by those pessimists who refuse to leave the last game's performance behind them and move on, hoping for the best.

Remember the old football saying?

You're only as good as your last game.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
GiveUsAG
January 15, 2015, 6:37pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Let's hope Saturday is a watershed. I think you've got to remember though that poor starts have been a common denominator in some pretty poor home performances.

Yeah I don't disagree, we've been pretty poor in a few games, especially recent ones. I am as disappointed as the rest and no doubt we can catch Barnet. But for as long as we're in the play off's, there is hope.

I just think some work themselves up and LET disappointment get the best of them. They've given hope way too easily.

Maybe I'm just talking crap again, I just want fans to be a little more hopeful.

I know the squad have to do their part, but they can't until the whistle goes at kick off. Between the full time whistle of a disappointing game to the whistle that kicks off the next game, there is nothing the players can do to put it right. Well, I guess they could train harder?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
GiveUsAG
January 15, 2015, 6:40pm

Table Wine Drinker

Remember the old football saying?

You're only as good as your last game.

Yeah, but I can mention many back to back games that prove that wrong.    

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
BIGChris
January 16, 2015, 7:32am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from GiveUsAG

I've seen some say they don't get excited any more, or look forward to the next game. This is simply because you're still looking back at the last performance and letting the negativity of disappointment depresses them

Sorry Gary but that is nonsense! I don't get excited because I don't see anything exciting on the pitch. Not because I wasn't excited 2 weeks ago.

Nielson is capable of getting me on the edge of my seat but we have very few players who can go past an opponent. In the last 5 seasons Connells finishes excited me (first time around) and Liam Hearn was the one player who could create opportunities for himself. Nobody has done it since
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
lukeo
January 16, 2015, 8:49am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 134
I'm 100% with Chris.. I look forward to seeing Neilsen when i can get to games. From what I have seen from the 3 games i've been to Scott Brown also makes me enjoy watching the game because he's all over the pitch whenever i've watched and put in 100%
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bored now

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.