4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Marinerz93
January 14, 2015, 5:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1

As far as I am aware allot of the 3m debt came from paying off the previous boards mistakes,
The old board wanted to put GTFC in to bankruptcy after the ITV Digital debacle but JF paid it and them off to stop this happening.

Its ok to say in hindsight that allot of mistakes have been made but some we all would have made, appointing Mike Newell for instance was at the time on here regarded as a coup.
I must also admit though that  Neil Woods appointment was defiantly not the best decision the board has ever made

The only debt as far as the books were concerned was the tax debt from ITV digital crash, which the club paid back in agreed instalments and Ramsden which JF paid himself back in agreed instalments over several seasons.

The 3M+ debt against the clubs assets is the benign loans coming from paying off managers and players every season as JF exercised his trigger finger.

What you need to ask yourself is

Tax Debt + Ramdsen money = __________ (which the club paid back)
Fenty's benign loan =

That's the turning point but you know this.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 32
cleethorpes_mariner
January 14, 2015, 5:09pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +313
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Did anybody make him do this? Maybe bankruptcy would have been the right way to go - all hindsight, I know - but it was his decision to take the tax debt on.

Not saying it wasn't his choice but I suppose he felt the punishment the FA would have dealt out would have been to much for the club and taking on the debt was the better option. like I said hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 32
barralad
January 14, 2015, 10:48pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Did anybody make him do this? Maybe bankruptcy would have been the right way to go - all hindsight, I know - but it was his decision to take the tax debt on.

At the time the vast majority of fans were pleased he had got to grips with it. It seems to be another inconvenient truth but there was only him who was willing to do so. Despite repeated claims on here that there are plenty of people who may be willing to invest absolutely nobody stuck their head above the parapet at that time and, of course, that was before there were any benign loans.As a fan, he should be applauded for choosing to do so as an alternative to bankruptcy
I don't know what bankruptcy means in terms of a football club but if one of the inevitable conclusions would have been liquidation then I remain very glad that we didn't let that particular genie out of the bottle......

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 32
Stevie Saunders
January 14, 2015, 11:00pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
The Fishy at its best
Great posts, good debate, food for thought, and respect for peoples' differing opinions
Won't comment cos it's all been said above - there is no balck and white in all of this - but enjoyed this thread
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 32
Quagmire
January 15, 2015, 7:34am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43

As far as I am aware allot of the 3m debt came from paying off the previous boards mistakes,
The old board wanted to put GTFC in to bankruptcy after the ITV Digital debacle but JF paid it and them off to stop this happening.

Its ok to say in hindsight that allot of mistakes have been made but some we all would have made, appointing Mike Newell for instance was at the time on here regarded as a coup.
I must also admit though that  Neil Woods appointment was defiantly not the best decision the board has ever made

JF appointed to the board on August 6th 2001, which is 8 months prior to ITV Digital going bust.  I can't remember what the options were for the club when that happened but I do remember Mike Rouse being paid off at some point but I think that was a fairly nominal amount (50k I think).

In terms of the £3million being used to pay off 'previous boards mistakes' you've only got to take a look at the club accounts, profit/loss in particular to see that the bulk of this debt has been created with JF at the helm.

Since dropping into League Two in 2004, the overall loss over the next 10 years now stands at over £2.5million

2005  -29,630
2006  +407,301
2007  -857,513
2008  +114,603
2009  -639,202
2010  -40,264
2011  -936,177
2012  +142,404
2013  -453,571
2014  -227,411

Source:  http://www.extra-gtfc.co.uk/accounts2/chart1.html

Profitable years in 2006 & 2008 due to Cardiff/Wembley appearances, 2012 Ryan Bennet fee?

You mention Woods being a poor appointment but there's a few others.

Graham Rodger sacked 5 months into a 2 year contract, plus players he signed like Beagrie (likely to be on good money) being paid off - a loss at the end of that season of 850,000

It looks like we went way OTT with the budget given to Woods in our first season down in this league, a loss of almost £1million - it doesn't matter how much money you've got to throw at the problem if you don't have the right man spending it.

What would the loss have been in 2013 had we not made it to Wembley in the FAT?

I know some will label me as a Fenty basher etc but you can't claim that the £3million that he is owed is down to 'previous boards mistakes' when you look at the club accounts.

Incidentally, I know people 'blame' PH for taking the FA Trophy so seriously but is that a directive from above that he MUST do all he can to get the club there when you consider the only profitable years we have had recently have been Cardiff/Wembley years?

Ultimately none of this matters.

Whilst the new stadium remains a possibility JF will remain in control - it's his only real chance of having his loans paid off and would also create the legacy of him being the one to deliver a new stadium to the club/community/town rather than the current one of him being the man to take the club into non-league whilst racking up a mountain of debt.

The turning point will come if the new stadium is vetoed and stopped from happening.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 32
arryarryarry
January 15, 2015, 8:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Quagmire

JF appointed to the board on August 6th 2001, which is 8 months prior to ITV Digital going bust.  I can't remember what the options were for the club when that happened but I do remember Mike Rouse being paid off at some point but I think that was a fairly nominal amount (50k I think).

In terms of the £3million being used to pay off 'previous boards mistakes' you've only got to take a look at the club accounts, profit/loss in particular to see that the bulk of this debt has been created with JF at the helm.

Since dropping into League Two in 2004, the overall loss over the next 10 years now stands at over £2.5million

2005  -29,630
2006  +407,301
2007  -857,513
2008  +114,603
2009  -639,202
2010  -40,264
2011  -936,177
2012  +142,404
2013  -453,571
2014  -227,411

Profitable years in 2006 & 2008 due to Cardiff/Wembley appearances, 2012 Ryan Bennet fee?

Graham Rodger sacked 5 months into a 2 year contract, plus players he signed like Beagrie (likely to be on good money) being paid off - a loss at the end of that season of 850,000

It looks like we went way OTT with the budget given to Woods in our first season down in this league, a loss of almost £1million - it doesn't matter how much money you've got to throw at the problem if you don't have the right man spending it.

I know some will label me as a Fenty basher etc but you can't claim that the £3million that he is owed is down to 'previous boards mistakes' when you look at the club accounts.

Incidentally, I know people 'blame' PH for taking the FA Trophy so seriously but is that a directive from above that he MUST do all he can to get the club there when you consider the only profitable years we have had recently have been Cardiff/Wembley years?

Whilst the new stadium remains a possibility JF will remain in control - it's his only real chance of having his loans paid off and would also create the legacy of him being the one to deliver a new stadium to the club/community/town rather than the current one of him being the man to take the club into non-league whilst racking up a mountain of debt.

The turning point will come if the new stadium is vetoed and stopped from happening.

To be honest, I don't have the time to check all that but if it is correct that is post of the decade for me.

Private Message
Reply: 25 - 32
psgmariner
January 15, 2015, 9:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from arryarryarry

To be honest, I don't have the time to check all that but if it is correct that is post of the decade for me.

Yep, really helpful analysis that.

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 32
ginnywings
January 15, 2015, 10:37am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
But did you Getyourfactsright?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 32
lew chaterleys lover
January 15, 2015, 11:04am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Quagmire

2005  -29,630
2006  +407,301
2007  -857,513
2008  +114,603
2009  -639,202
2010  -40,264
2011  -936,177
2012  +142,404
2013  -453,571
2014  -227,411

Thank you for that.

I guess youre saying with your head what some of have been saying with our hearts for long enough.

The only thing that surprised me is the amount spent in our first season in non league. It certainly didn't feel at the time that we were throwing money at it?

I have said for a while that it now depends on the new stadium. If it goes ahead I am assuming JF can find a way to pay himself back, and he can have something for his grandchildren to remember him by.

If it doesn't, then its still his call but what would be the point in carrying on just to lose more money over time?  
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 32
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 15, 2015, 11:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Was it not a loss of subsidy through tv rights and sponsorship in our first season?? If not then it is very worrying. £1m given to an inexperienced manager to play with is worrying

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Turning point in our history

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.