4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
January 14, 2015, 11:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,832
Gold Stars: 42
Yes we can speculate to accumulate. The risk is not to live further beyond our means than other clubs.  Leeds, Hereford and others have shown the results of the investment or gamble when it does not produce the desired results.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 32
ginnywings
January 14, 2015, 11:55am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,089
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Garth
No need for further cash investment although it would be nice, just manage the players we have now by employing an attack minded coach to work with what we have, no problems with the defence. just need new ideas up front IMO

But maybe the defence is being given too much credit. If we were more attack minded, then we may be far more leaky at the back, as we were when Hearn and Connell were banging in the goals. It's easy to keep the goals against deficit down if the whole team is defending as a unit, but then you are largely depending on sticking away what few chances come along. Slade very nearly made that work with lightning counter attacks from Reddy and the likes.

We (Hurst) can't get the balance right. When we were scoring for fun in the Hearn season, we came up short because we were too leaky at the back and now we have tightened up, we can't score enough.

We desperately need an injection of pace and a midfielder who will run beyond the forwards, coupled with a goalscorer who will put away a good ratio of chances IMO. If we had that, we would be a lot nearer the top spot. Another handful of goals in the right games would have seen us have at least 10 more points on the board.

January is ticking away............................................................
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 32
friskneymariner
January 14, 2015, 11:59am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Surely if we were going to getting any players in,it before one of the most influential games of the season, don't  we will wait to the last day to get somebody  nobody else wants.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 32
ginnywings
January 14, 2015, 12:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from friskneymariner
Surely if we were going to getting any players in,it before one of the most influential games of the season, don't  we will wait to the last day to get somebody  nobody else wants.

That about sums things up nowadays.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 32
louth_in_the_south
January 14, 2015, 3:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,640
Gold Stars: 94
Who exactly were these players that fenty spent all the money on in our first year down here cos I can't remember them ?!

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 32
arryarryarry
January 14, 2015, 4:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,059
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from BIGChris
I believe that JF's only chance is to deliver on the new ground. I think there is a far better chance of it going ahead than there has ever been.

IF that doesnt happen, and happen quickly especially in respect of getting green lights for detailed planning, then there will be a dramatically increased call for change.

Just a thought, and i havent got the answer, but we are told promotion is worth at least £750k per annum! Would it be worth a gamble of an additional £250k which would get FIVE top class Conference players on board.

IF you were JF would you consider that gamble? Did he try that the first year we were down here and failed because the way it was spent? Has that burnt his fingers.

Many want sustainability over gambling on our existence and that makes a lot of sense

Well if he did that was one of his most barmiest decisions ever to hand over a wedge like that to the worst manager in Town's history.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 32
cmackenzie4
January 14, 2015, 4:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Quagmire

I would say that it has.  I will get back to him having his fingers burnt eventually but ....

Sitting in JF's shoes, you've lent the club £3million (irrespective of how that came about) and undoubtedly want it back.  The likelihood of someone coming to the club and buying him out is, IMO, pretty much nil when you factor in these loans.  

IMO, if I had the means to make an offer for the club I wouldn't be happy paying that £3million because of the way that it has been accrued, why should I pick up the tab for bad decisions that have been made by JF?  

I think the loans will be the ultimate stumbling block - it depends on how much of that £3million he wants back and how much someone is prepared to pay.

So, you've already stumped up £3million in the past, are you really going to put another 250k in??  

If you do, you have to have the right man sat in the managers chair.  JF's tried it in the past and it has failed because of the man he has employed as manager.

It's pretty pointless giving 250k to someone who will simply waste it.  You have to have full confidence in the manager to go out and spend that money wisely rather than fritter it away.  

I think that ultimately JF can only see his loans being repaid if the new stadium gets the go ahead.  How certain is he that it will happen this time?  

If I was JF I'd be keeping any additional funding to the absolute minimum until I knew the new stadium was actually happening because if it doesn't, I can't see anyone coming in and paying those loans off - and if it was me looking to take the club on I wouldn't want to pay those loans off, you'd just sweat him out until the fans effectively forced his hand into writing some/all of those loans off, which is what will happen if we stay in this league much longer and the new stadium plan gets vetoed for whatever reason.

I think until the club know for definite about the new stadium any additional funding from JF will be at an absolute minimum.

I agree in principle re that investment being worthwhile but unfortunately you've got to have the right manager at the club to spend that money, and without wishing to turn this into another anti-PH thread, I don't think we've got that with PH.

I absolutely agree with all this, great post!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 32
ginnywings
January 14, 2015, 4:27pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Who exactly were these players that fenty spent all the money on in our first year down here cos I can't remember them ?!

Players like Kempson and Ridley (just 2 off the top of my head) were on more money than the current lot, despite being no better and in most cases worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 32
cleethorpes_mariner
January 14, 2015, 4:30pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +313
Quoted from Quagmire

I would say that it has.  I will get back to him having his fingers burnt eventually but ....

Sitting in JF's shoes, you've lent the club £3million (irrespective of how that came about) and undoubtedly want it back.  The likelihood of someone coming to the club and buying him out is, IMO, pretty much nil when you factor in these loans.  

IMO, if I had the means to make an offer for the club I wouldn't be happy paying that £3million because of the way that it has been accrued, why should I pick up the tab for bad decisions that have been made by JF?  

I think the loans will be the ultimate stumbling block - it depends on how much of that £3million he wants back and how much someone is prepared to pay.

So, you've already stumped up £3million in the past, are you really going to put another 250k in??  

If you do, you have to have the right man sat in the managers chair.  JF's tried it in the past and it has failed because of the man he has employed as manager.

It's pretty pointless giving 250k to someone who will simply waste it.  You have to have full confidence in the manager to go out and spend that money wisely rather than fritter it away.  

I think that ultimately JF can only see his loans being repaid if the new stadium gets the go ahead.  How certain is he that it will happen this time?  

If I was JF I'd be keeping any additional funding to the absolute minimum until I knew the new stadium was actually happening because if it doesn't, I can't see anyone coming in and paying those loans off - and if it was me looking to take the club on I wouldn't want to pay those loans off, you'd just sweat him out until the fans effectively forced his hand into writing some/all of those loans off, which is what will happen if we stay in this league much longer and the new stadium plan gets vetoed for whatever reason.

I think until the club know for definite about the new stadium any additional funding from JF will be at an absolute minimum.

I agree in principle re that investment being worthwhile but unfortunately you've got to have the right manager at the club to spend that money, and without wishing to turn this into another anti-PH thread, I don't think we've got that with PH.

As far as I am aware allot of the 3m debt came from paying off the previous boards mistakes,
The old board wanted to put GTFC in to bankruptcy after the ITV Digital debacle but JF paid it and them off to stop this happening.

Its ok to say in hindsight that allot of mistakes have been made but some we all would have made, appointing Mike Newell for instance was at the time on here regarded as a coup.
I must also admit though that  Neil Woods appointment was defiantly not the best decision the board has ever made
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 32
MuddyWaters
January 14, 2015, 4:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.61
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,205
Gold Stars: 235

As far as I am aware allot of the 3m debt came from paying off the previous boards mistakes,
The old board wanted to put GTFC in to bankruptcy after the ITV Digital debacle but JF paid it and them off to stop this happening.

Its ok to say in hindsight that allot of mistakes have been made but some we all would have made, appointing Mike Newell for instance was at the time on here regarded as a coup.
I must also admit though that  Neil Woods appointment was defiantly not the best decision the board has ever made

Did anybody make him do this? Maybe bankruptcy would have been the right way to go - all hindsight, I know - but it was his decision to take the tax debt on.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Turning point in our history

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.