Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
Mrs Doyle
January 13, 2015, 4:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
You can blame Fenty for lots of things but preventing building a new stadium is definitely NOT one of them. If it was up to Fenty we would have been playing at Great coates by now. The blame of that one lays squarely at the councils feet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 35
lew chaterleys lover
January 13, 2015, 5:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Marinerz93

Villian? failure, yes, Villian?

Not a villain in the murderous/trecherous/bond film type, but I think we all know what villain in this context means.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 35
barralad
January 13, 2015, 7:39pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from realist
What a load of tosh it is continually blaming the council for the failure to get a new ground built. The fault lies with those running the club. If they had planned financially and used more of their own money a new stand alone ground would have been built ages ago. It is the need for and the size and scope of the enabling development that causes all the problems.
hurst and fenty out

I have no idea how much a new stadium would have cost in the mid 90s when all of this was first mooted but, a fair few of the early new ground developments were at least partially funded by the sale of the old site-including Scunthorpe. B.P. is worth nowhere near the amount required then or now to fund the building of a new ground. Clubs such as Donny and Coventry relied heavily on the local authority for more than developmental support but I for one wouldn't really want to go down the road of moving into a ground that GTFC don't own. You only have to look at the ridiculous situation at Coventry to see the problems of playing in a ground owned by a subsidiary of the local authority.
Most new grounds have some sort of enabling developments around them. My favourite example is Bolton
I can only think of Darlington's ground that was built without support from outside businesses or the local authority and we all know what happened there!
I don't really understand what you mean by "planned financially" but the club must have paid out a considerable sum on the Great Coates debacle in legal fees if nothing else.
You seem to be saying that Fenty should have just financed the whole project if I'm reading it right. What happens if someone doesn't have the wherewithal to do that? Are we condemned to stay at B.P. for ever.
Of course it could be just another excuse for a rant at the major shareholder...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
MuddyWaters
January 13, 2015, 7:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from barralad

I have no idea how much a new stadium would have cost in the mid 90s when all of this was first mooted but, a fair few of the early new ground developments were at least partially funded by the sale of the old site-including Scunthorpe. B.P. is worth nowhere near the amount required then or now to fund the building of a new ground. Clubs such as Donny and Coventry relied heavily on the local authority for more than developmental support but I for one wouldn't really want to go down the road of moving into a ground that GTFC don't own. You only have to look at the ridiculous situation at Coventry to see the problems of playing in a ground owned by a subsidiary of the local authority.
Most new grounds have some sort of enabling developments around them. My favourite example is Bolton
I can only think of Darlington's ground that was built without support from outside businesses or the local authority and we all know what happened there!
I don't really understand what you mean by "planned financially" but the club must have paid out a considerable sum on the Great Coates debacle in legal fees if nothing else.
You seem to be saying that Fenty should have just financed the whole project if I'm reading it right. What happens if someone doesn't have the wherewithal to do that? Are we condemned to stay at B.P. for ever.
Of course it could be just another excuse for a rant at the major shareholder...

Agree with most of that Barra. The only issue I have is that our MS (major shareholder) seems better at antagonising people rather than getting them onside.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 35
MarinerWY
January 13, 2015, 11:11pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from barralad

Everything I've read in the press suggests that the Council are fully behind this project?

IMO the council-run by De Freitas's mates were wholly responsible for the crash and burn of the Great Coates project-all for a few votes....

Yeah I was more talking about the Great Coates project than the current one.

Although I haven't read much that gives me the impression that the council are fully behind it. Nor that they are against it either, the impression I get is at least they are giving it the time of day so far, but it's very early days to see what their response is. Although I haven't heard a lot recently so might have missed some new developments.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › scunts new stadium mk 2

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.