Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bristol Rovers' intent !
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 314 Guests

Bristol Rovers' intent !

This thread currently has 10,291 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
January 12, 2015, 11:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Nah, traffic in Bristol is quite manageable if you know where you're going.

Bristol is a pretty nice place to live (especially if you have some money) but, regardless, as BIGChris noted, Easter is from Cardiff and wants to live in that neck of the woods. Exactly the same situation as when people moaned because Pipe (from South Wales) had crazily signed for FGR instead of moving across the country to play for us for less money!

The only way we could ever sign a big(gish) name player is if he lived in the Sheffield area (or perhaps as far afield as Leeds) and was willing to commute across here. Doesn't seem likely at present, especially as there aren't any big names playing for the Sheffield clubs or Leeds, not to mention our financial limitations.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 83
Abdul19
January 13, 2015, 12:28am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
I've just realised he could've resurrected our season etc.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 83
grimps
January 13, 2015, 4:45am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
I hope they catch Barnet and go up this season because I expect them to run away with it next year if they dont
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 83
LH
January 13, 2015, 6:34am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Quoted from Abdul19
I've just realised he could've resurrected our season etc.

Really wish we could have egged him on for us.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 83
Rodley Mariner
January 13, 2015, 7:58am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
If we'd splashed the cash to get him and it hadn't worked out Hurst would get crucified.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 83
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 13, 2015, 8:14am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from barralad

I've no wish to quibble-especially as I:- 1. Agree with much of this post and 2. I'm not 100% sure of my facts and cannot be bothered to google it but didn't we sign Chatterley from Northampton...? I'm also pretty sure that Buckley and Birtles came from roughly the same part of Nottingham.  

Lew made his name at Villa but was loaned to Doncaster for a while when McMenemy was manager there. Chatterley went to Northampton from Villa/Doncaster but was only there a few months before he signed for us. Final piece in the promotion team jigsaw, he just gave us the impetus to take us up as his class made an immediate impact. A similar situation to today?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 83
highcliff mariner
January 13, 2015, 8:30am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
If we'd splashed the cash to get him and it hadn't worked out Hurst would get crucified.

Alternatively he may have shot us to the top ?
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 83
diehardmariner
January 13, 2015, 10:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
I can understand to a degree those who are berating our lack of exciting signings, I wouldn't say Easter is a player I would be desperate to have here.

He's done jaff all for the last four or five years.

If we had signed a guy who came here with a goals to games ratio over the last five years of 13 in 94 (no idea how many of those are sub appearances) no-one would be happy.

This summer we signed Brown, Toto and Mackreth.  All great signings according to most on here.  In addition we brought in Clay and Pittman.  Clay's signing was met with outrage although this was soon retracted at the sight he was actually a good signing.  I think there was as bit of reservation about Pittman due to his injuries but in general deemed a good addition to the side.    Arnold came on loan and because of his earlier injury problems was probably correctly labelled a bad signing but he has since offered something to the squad (last few weeks aside).

Some will say Parslow, some will mention Oates as bad signings. Fair points, but they are cover players.  Especially in Parslow's case he's there to offer versatile cover. He won't be anywhere near the back four when everyone else is fit/not suspended.  For cover at this level and probably relatively cheap, he's fine.

The problem isn't the players we've got in.  We've got some quality players and for all his faults, Hurst can spot a player.  His track record at bringing players to the club is good.
The problem is how we use those players and get the best out of them.  
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 83
Caesar
January 13, 2015, 10:58am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
Quoted from diehardmariner
I can understand to a degree those who are berating our lack of exciting signings, I wouldn't say Easter is a player I would be desperate to have here.

He's done jaff all for the last four or five years.

If we had signed a guy who came here with a goals to games ratio over the last five years of 13 in 94 (no idea how many of those are sub appearances) no-one would be happy.

This summer we signed Brown, Toto and Mackreth.  All great signings according to most on here.  In addition we brought in Clay and Pittman.  Clay's signing was met with outrage although this was soon retracted at the sight he was actually a good signing.  I think there was as bit of reservation about Pittman due to his injuries but in general deemed a good addition to the side.    Arnold came on loan and because of his earlier injury problems was probably correctly labelled a bad signing but he has since offered something to the squad (last few weeks aside).

Some will say Parslow, some will mention Oates as bad signings. Fair points, but they are cover players.  Especially in Parslow's case he's there to offer versatile cover. He won't be anywhere near the back four when everyone else is fit/not suspended.  For cover at this level and probably relatively cheap, he's fine.

The problem isn't the players we've got in.  We've got some quality players and for all his faults, Hurst can spot a player.  His track record at bringing players to the club is good.
The problem is how we use those players and get the best out of them.  

Great post, sums it up really.  We wouldn't be moaning about our lack of ambition on here if we could get our squad to play like we all think they are capable of doing. But this has probablly been the case for the past couple of years.  About this time of year our good squad has got us there or there abouts in terms of being in contention for the playoffs and 2 years ago even looking like we could go up automatic.  But then at this time of year we seem to do very little and drop away, leading to a second half of the season where we stumble into the playoffs in poor form, and have semifinal heartache.  With us still looking miles away from automatic and just about in the playoff mix this seems to continue a worrying trend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 83
acko338
January 13, 2015, 11:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
To be fair, if the return of Alan Connell had worked, we wouldn't be having this debate, likewise if Liam Hearn had been loyal and not re-injured, how many more goals would have been scored?

Hannah will never reproduce his loan form without changing tactics and giving him playing time.

Would Southwell have progressed at this level, or always been seen as the cheap option as often stated on here?

Could we find a goalscorer and give them one year to prove they are worth the next move up into the league or fire us back there?

Names in the frame would then be the likes of Brett Williams, or Omar Bogie, who both seem loyal to their local clubs for now !

Do the regions' clubs with youth teams not have any budding talent ? - like Conor Townsend on loan the other season, now regularly playing in the Scottish Premier League!

However, we have dropped back on midfield again lately, and this was our strength at the season start.

Brown, Disley and Clay all need to be fit, and Neilsen in for variety and skills to unlock stubborn defences.

We have good players here, but they need to be all playing together on form.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 83
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bristol Rovers' intent !

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.