Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bristol Rovers' intent !
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 398 Guests

Bristol Rovers' intent !

This thread currently has 10,295 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
January 12, 2015, 7:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from cmackenzie4

looks like they are putting all their eggs in one basket!  

Jeez Cmac, just noticed that you are now a meths drinker and are the first poster to have reached 20,000 posts. That's some going.

Always wondered what drink would come up at 20,000.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 83
lew chaterleys lover
January 12, 2015, 7:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
There's no way GTFC can't attract a decent calibre of player from the non league . I don't buy this location bollox thing . Were a massive step up for a player who wants to further his career due to the clubs size and history .
I can't understand this policy of signing young lads and hardly playing them . Complete waste of time IMO unless the club completely changes it's signing policy .

I agree. Wages are being wasted. "Two players for the price of one" seems to be our transfer policy* and I think we can safely say it isnt working too well.

*If we have a transfer policy that is.  
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 83
ginnywings
January 12, 2015, 7:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538

Well I for one am certainly not advocating boycotting games - if its in the blood its in the blood so to speak.

What I am advocating though is for the club to get off its backside and find players that will make a difference and excite the fans.

Christ on a bike its not too much to ask is it??

What is the point of having a supposed rich chairman if all we keep getting is run of the mill players who dont make a difference,even at this very low level?

Nobody is asking us to pay a kings ransom, but where is the ambition to get us out of this league?

I think we are all fed up with chunting along in the slow lane and the only thing Fenty is doing is propping us up, whilst adding to the overall debt in return for well, not a lot!  

This in spades. Speculate to accumulate.

If we are going to sign unknown players, get the hot shots from lower down who have ambition to move up the food chain. Develop them and sell them on.

Everything about his club screams mediocrity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 83
lew chaterleys lover
January 12, 2015, 7:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Bristol:
Big city,plenty of jobs,better and bigger shops art and culture,theatres,nice architecture,  direct rail link to the capital

Grimsby....................................................................................cheep housing, skint? to be fair unless we offer mega wages we haven't  many pluses always been a major stumbling block always will be.

That explains why the Bristol Clubs lead the way in British football.

You could say the same things about lots of clubs that are in the football league but still attract players.

We used to, after all.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 83
cmackenzie4
January 12, 2015, 7:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33

Well I for one am certainly not advocating boycotting games - if its in the blood its in the blood so to speak.

What I am advocating though is for the club to get off its backside and find players that will make a difference and excite the fans.

Christ on a bike its not too much to ask is it??

What is the point of having a supposed rich chairman if all we keep getting is run of the mill players who dont make a difference,even at this very low level?

Nobody is asking us to pay a kings ransom, but where is the ambition to get us out of this league?

I think we are all fed up with chunting along in the slow lane and the only thing Fenty is doing is propping us up, whilst adding to the overall debt in return for well, not a lot!  

Fantastic post and exactly what I was saying to my son just yesterday.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 83
TownSNAFU5
January 12, 2015, 7:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Hearn was a perfect example of good scouting - and getting him to sign.  Scunny have been very get at getting good strikers in.  It is not Milan!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 83
friskneymariner
January 12, 2015, 7:53pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
P.H.'s horizion do not seem to extend beyond York.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 83
cmackenzie4

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from ginnywings

Jeez Cmac, just noticed that you are now a meths drinker and are the first poster to have reached 20,000 posts. That's some going.

Always wondered what drink would come up at 20,000.  

At least half of my posts are on the word games (non football) ginny,  

Grimsby Pete is on nearly 25,000 mate but he goes on the word games too.

I wonder what will be on 30,000 posts.... Battery acid?

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 83
MuddyWaters
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from barralad
This whole debate creases me up. There are people advocating a boycott of future games and others (not necessarily different people ) wanting us to splash the cash.....

Utterly hilarious....

I think there's an explanation. The manager and chairman (unlike those of other clubs) do not appear to be showing any great intent in improving on-field matters. As a result, those of us without bottomless pockets feel that watching GTFC is a waste of time and money in those circumstances as it would appear that the managers main tactic is to bore the opposition into submission.

His latest tactic appears to be to drop any of our squad who have any flair (Nielson, McLaughlin, Thomas). Let's now do the maths - if we look like a team trying to get promotion our average gate will go up, say roughly 1000 compared to if we are playing 'dead' games between now and the end of the season. That's 8 games x 1000 at £16 which equals £108,000, add a home play-off semi 5000? x £16 = £80,000 and a potential 40% of a Wembley gate (say 30,000 x £30) which would be another £360,000.

Add all this up and you get a financial reward of over £500,000 (admitted there's a bit of guesswork) to play for between now and the end of the season, of which there is a possible 18 weeks left which is in addition to the prizemoney and kudos for getting promotion.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 83
TAGG
January 12, 2015, 8:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from chaos33
I've just read two threads - one showing a rival making an ambitious signing of a proven striker, and the other a near neighbour moving forward with another new stadium. You'll forgive me if I express feelings of jealousy, exasperation and rage!

Other people make it happen don't they. Meanwhile, in Grimsby........

The exact same came to my mind

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 83
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bristol Rovers' intent !

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.