8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Tinymariner
January 10, 2015, 6:54pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Played too narrow which was obvious after 25 mins, Hurst doesn't have the tactical nous to change it. He should have brought Mackreth on and moved Arnold wide. LJL should have gone off and I'd have put Watson on for a change.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 72
Vance Warner
January 10, 2015, 6:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,775
Gold Stars: 100

Well. It seems to me that it is an intelligent comment to say something about the result, the fact that the side failed to win at home again, the failure to score a goal, the selection of the side, the substitutions and timings, the size of the crowd ...... I don't find anything unintelligent about such comments whether the poster has frostbite or not.

I don't really see how repeating match stats is intelligent but each to their own. For exiles like myself this website used to be a useful place to find out more about the game you missed. We can all listen to the radio and read up on the game but it's no substitute for being there and forming your own opinions. Unfortunately after every game we don't win the board is full of childish posts and a pack mentality from people who judging by their usernames should be old enough to know better
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 72
Marinerz93
January 10, 2015, 6:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from BIGChris

Martin Allen watched about an hour before leaving. Not sure what he would have made of it other than ordering his southern softies leggings and new gloves?

A lot of managers/scouts leave early if one team is dominant, but to leave after an hour with it being a stalemate is very telling.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 72
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 10, 2015, 7:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Vance Warner

I don't really see how repeating match stats is intelligent but each to their own. For exiles like myself this website used to be a useful place to find out more about the game you missed. We can all listen to the radio and read up on the game but it's no substitute for being there and forming your own opinions. Unfortunately after every game we don't win the board is full of childish posts and a pack mentality from people who judging by their usernames should be old enough to know better

Only after we don't win?

I agree with you as a fellow exile that this used to be a handy thread for a first hand report. Seems to me that people like us making comments is still fair enough and it isn't repeating match facts to do that. It's unfortunate that all threads have got contaminated with vitriol at some level but I suppose that is inevitable after so long in the dumps. Sad but true. Don't know about anyone else but I joined the Fishy for fun not for an intellectual pursuit or a personal vendetta.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 72
arryarryarry
January 10, 2015, 7:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from MyDogsThoughts

But you didn't go did you?

He might not have gone but he was spot on with his analysis.

A dismal game with two dismal sides. Not sure what is the point in playing two big strikers and then not playing any wide men to get the ball into them but then again our current wide men are pretty rubbish.

As for Hurst, just what is the point in bringing McLoughlin on for three minutes and Mackreth for one.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 72
KK_DOG
January 10, 2015, 8:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
Quoted from Tinymariner
Played too narrow which was obvious after 25 mins, Hurst doesn't have the tactical nous to change it. He should have brought Mackreth on and moved Arnold wide. LJL should have gone off and I'd have put Watson on for a change.

Apart from the LJL comment, I totally agree.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 72
Mariner16
January 10, 2015, 8:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from MyDogsThoughts

It is because a lot of the posters on here are complete c0cks!

John Fenty had to leave the forums because of them and they want more and more 'true fans and supporters' to stop posting: Scunny and Lincoln fans really I suppose, or as I said in the first sentence 'complete c0cks'.

I really like how someone posting as a dog, can have a go at others.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 72
dapperz fun pub
January 10, 2015, 8:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Mariner16

I really like how someone posting as a dog, can have a go at others.

Are derelict pubs ok
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 72
moosey_club
January 10, 2015, 8:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,202
Gold Stars: 224
Can only comment on first half as i left at H.T,

Thought the shape worked quite well possession wise, we didnt look stretched at any point or overrun, in midfield we had the better of it which is something you dont often say against Gateshead (or a Gary Mills side)...however...the personnel in the formation didnt work, Parslow looked ill at ease throughout, offered no attacking threat and checked back to play backwards virtually everytime.
It was good to see the players playing to feet patiently rather than pumping long balls, Disley seeing lots of the ball at the base of the midfield diamond but most of the passing was impenetrative, backwards or sideways and largely predictable......however.....when you choose a formation with pretty much three attacking players you have to get the ball to them and that didnt happen, Clay and Brown didnt move it forward enough and Parslow and Magnay didnt get far enough up to support.
Arnold was probably the brightest attacking wise, had a shot from range and put in the two best crosses neither of which Ollie read, anticipated or gambled on, however Arnold did scuff the cleanest chance of the half when Clay picked him out unmarked in the box.
LJL hardly saw the ball, guilty of waiting for the ball and losing out to defenders stepping in.
With the wind at our backs i was disappointed we didnt try more shots from range, only one from memory which was Arnold.
It wasnt exciting watching but at least Hurst tried something new and the players were (attempting) passing to feet. I will give Ollie the benefit of the doubt and say he was rusty, your touch might need a few games, as does building understanding with colleagues but his movement in the box and anticipation didnt look good to me and i think as a striker that needs to be there constantly.
Not fussed about now winning as i dont give a toss about the cup but a replay could have been done without i guess.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 72
Garth
January 10, 2015, 8:52pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Now that I have settled down and warmed up a bit here`s how I saw it, both defences were on top most of the game due to poor and mis placed passes  by both sides.
Pearson was my MOTM followed closely by Toto and Magnay, I thought Arnold played well but LJL had a game where nothing went right for him.

The new boy looks and runs like Reddy but without an end product,  early days yet I suppose, for the life of me I can`t understand the two late substitutions and if they had been brought on earlier it may have helped win the game, Both Disely and Clay had OK games but Brown is still trying to click after his injury,  but seems to be hitting a brick wall trying.

We need Thomas back left and Magnay right on Wednesday with Parslow playing a holding role behind Clay and Dis, Jack out right,  Arnold left with Ollie and Pitman up front
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.