TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 9, 2015, 1:46pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from carrot top
I know he is out on licence. That is not really the point I'm making. Give it a rest Head Judge, Im just giving an opinion, is that allowed?

Your opinion is valid, your statement isn't. He hasn't "served his sentence" and that is a fact. That is the reason why he wasn't allowed to go abroad.

If he had finished his sentence I would agree with you that he should be allowed to continue his work.

The only issue for me is that he will always carry the baggage of his conviction regardless of whether it is upheld or overturned and that, right or wrong, makes a difference to a lot of people who are in charge of a lot of football clubs. They too are entitled to an opinion.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 79
pontoonlew
January 9, 2015, 2:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163

Your opinion is valid, your statement isn't. He hasn't "served his sentence" and that is a fact. That is the reason why he wasn't allowed to go abroad.

If he had finished his sentence I would agree with you that he should be allowed to continue his work.

The only issue for me is that he will always carry the baggage of his conviction regardless of whether it is upheld or overturned and that, right or wrong, makes a difference to a lot of people who are in charge of a lot of football clubs. They too are entitled to an opinion.

Barely anybody actually finishes a sentence in prison, it's not just Ched Evans who has been let out after half of his sentence, quite a large proportion of people sentenced actually serve it.

So the justice system have deemed it fit for him to return to work, you, the media or anybody else don't have the right to stop him.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 79
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 9, 2015, 2:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from pontoonlew

Barely anybody actually finishes a sentence in prison, it's not just Ched Evans who has been let out after half of his sentence, quite a large proportion of people sentenced actually serve it.

So the justice system have deemed it fit for him to return to work, you, the media or anybody else don't have the right to stop him.

Well Lew, just because a sentence isn't in prison does not mean it isn't a sentence does it? And ...... he hasn't finished his has he?

He can indeed go back to work in the UK, I'm not stopping him! Personally I think he's a prat and I wouldn't be keen on him coming here but it's not for me to say.

My point is that the people who own football clubs are as entitled to their opinion as you and me. It is up to them whether to shell out the cash to employ him or not. It is up to them to judge the reactions of their supporters, friends, families, sponsors and all the rest. It's not for me and thee to tell them how to spend their money is it?

The media is a pain and so is social media. It does lead to mob rule but what can anyone do about that now that there are 3 or more generations fixated on their phones and how many retweets they can get? We can moan about the BBC or the Daily Mail but it won't stop them from what they do. That's the way of the world.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 79
forza ivano
January 9, 2015, 2:24pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,136
Gold Stars: 265
I'm in 2 minds about it, although I would find the prospect of him playing for us distinctly distasteful.The thought of him picking up a couple of thousand quid a week when his victim's life has been ruined is pretty repugnant. there is also the add on that we have appalling conviction rates for rape; if women see that this is going to be the outcome they are not going to bother going to the police which is a  far higher price for society to pay than 1 convicted rapist being unable to resume his chosen career.
However, as someone pointed out he would not be prevented from entering the House of Lords so why should he not be allowed to continue his trade as a footballer? If he were a plumber or a banker he would be allowed to resume his career so why not as a footballer?
Ah, many of said, because he is a role model to a legion of youngsters. i can see that if he is paying for Man City or Sheff Utd. but the line becomes a bit more blurred when it comes down to the likes of us or Oldham.
Presumably his detractors would not object to him playing for his mates team on a Sunday morning or the local village league? When does it become unacceptable? Louth United in front of 75 fans with him being paid expenses? Gainsborough part time in front of 500? Alfreton part time in front of 1000 etc etc

The other point is that he has been attacked for refusing to apologise. a) i understand he was advised by his legal reps that it would not be in his best interests pending appeals etc and b) why should he apologise if he sincerely believes he is innocent?

a very difficult subject but i think on the balance of probabilities Fenty made the right decision
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 79
pontoonlew
January 9, 2015, 2:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163

Well Lew, just because a sentence isn't in prison does not mean it isn't a sentence does it? And ...... he hasn't finished his has he?

He can indeed go back to work in the UK, I'm not stopping him! Personally I think he's a prat and I wouldn't be keen on him coming here but it's not for me to say.

My point is that the people who own football clubs are as entitled to their opinion as you and me. It is up to them whether to shell out the cash to employ him or not. It is up to them to judge the reactions of their supporters, friends, families, sponsors and all the rest. It's not for me and thee to tell them how to spend their money is it?

The media is a pain and so is social media. It does lead to mob rule but what can anyone do about that now that there are 3 or more generations fixated on their phones and how many retweets they can get? We can moan about the BBC or the Daily Mail but it won't stop them from what they do. That's the way of the world.

The fact is, the majority of Oldham fans surveyed wanted him at the club, the majority of sponsors were happy to continue sponsoring Oldham and the majority of football fans in surveys I've seen believe he should return. But the media didn't report any of that, because it didn't fit in with their campaign. It's alright saying social media is a pain etc, but when the media won't even reflect the views of people it disagrees with, it concerns me slightly.

The owner didn't have a choice in whether he could sign Evans, the one sided media excrement storm decided for him.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 79
AlanPoutonsTackle
January 9, 2015, 3:20pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +57
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Only 3 people know what happened that night ? What about the 2 filming ?

If there were 2 people filming that were aware of the full circumstances that would have been an aid and abet. So I am discounting them.

"With a minute to go Buckley said keep it in the corner, I thought he meant the top corner." - Jim Dobbin
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 79
Neilo83
January 10, 2015, 7:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +261
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from forza ivano
I'm in 2 minds about it, although I would find the prospect of him playing for us distinctly distasteful.The thought of him picking up a couple of thousand quid a week when his victim's life has been ruined is pretty repugnant. there is also the add on that we have appalling conviction rates for rape; if women see that this is going to be the outcome they are not going to bother going to the police which is a  far higher price for society to pay than 1 convicted rapist being unable to resume his chosen career.
However, as someone pointed out he would not be prevented from entering the House of Lords so why should he not be allowed to continue his trade as a footballer? If he were a plumber or a banker he would be allowed to resume his career so why not as a footballer?
Ah, many of said, because he is a role model to a legion of youngsters. i can see that if he is paying for Man City or Sheff Utd. but the line becomes a bit more blurred when it comes down to the likes of us or Oldham.
Presumably his detractors would not object to him playing for his mates team on a Sunday morning or the local village league? When does it become unacceptable? Louth United in front of 75 fans with him being paid expenses? Gainsborough part time in front of 500? Alfreton part time in front of 1000 etc etc

The other point is that he has been attacked for refusing to apologise. a) i understand he was advised by his legal reps that it would not be in his best interests pending appeals etc and b) why should he apologise if he sincerely believes he is innocent?

a very difficult subject but i think on the balance of probabilities Fenty made the right decision

Her old twitter account which she deleted suggests that her life is far from ruined, the pink mini and the holidays abroad for her and her friends (which she's paying for with her "win big money") tells me that she's doing alright!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 79
KingstonMariner
January 11, 2015, 12:46am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from carrot top
I agree that it is a difficult one to sort out and will cause divided opinions.

I wonder what crimes are acceptable in order to carry on in your own profession. Many Politicians carried out crimes in the expenses scandal but continue to ply their trade. Bankers committed horrendous crimes on the public/taxpayer, but again are allowed to carry on regardless.

I am in the camp of him being allowed to play. He has served his sentence and hopefully has been rehabilitated. I cannot see him doing anything like it again, if he has half a brain.

Hear hear.

Not forgetting the three killers who are allowed to still play football.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 79
KingstonMariner
January 11, 2015, 12:49am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from forza ivano

Pretty good summing up IMO.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 79
forza ivano
January 11, 2015, 1:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,136
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Neilo83

Her old twitter account which she deleted suggests that her life is far from ruined, the pink mini and the holidays abroad for her and her friends (which she's paying for with her "win big money") tells me that she's doing alright!

Having been raped, then had your character trashed, then been hounded and stalked forcing her to change addresses on numerous occasions, I don't think treating yourself to a new car and going on holiday is terribly unreasonable
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Financial backer for ched evans

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.