January 8, 2015, 12:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Was the trust consulted on this ?

Fenty explained: "We had a meeting to discuss this involving myself, manager Paul Hurst and the board."  Presumably the Trust reps Dave Roberts and Jon Wood on the GTFC board were in the know. And that's the way it should stay in my eyes. I don't think the wider Trust needed consulting on this.

Personally I am happy he is not coming here. It would have damaged the club. The people who say they would have loved him to play here forget that Youngs and many other advertisers may well have walked away, regardless of "the truth" which nobody but two individuals will ever know. It's not hard to imagine a large sacle boycott of Youngs products if a campaign was orchestrated by social media.  

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 79
FishOutOfWater
January 8, 2015, 12:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from grimps
I'd have him here tomorrow !
I also believe he's innocent  

As does Clayton McDonald...

http://www.chedevans.com/claytons-statement

Quoted from Trawler

Fenty explained: "We had a meeting to discuss this involving myself, manager Paul Hurst and the board."  Presumably the Trust reps Dave Roberts and Jon Wood on the GTFC board were in the know. And that's the way it should stay in my eyes. I don't think the wider Trust needed consulting on this.

Personally I am happy he is not coming here. It would have damaged the club. The people who say they would have loved him to play here forget that Youngs and many other advertisers may well have walked away, regardless of "the truth" which nobody but two individuals will ever know. It's not hard to imagine a large sacle boycott of Youngs products if a campaign was orchestrated by social media.  

In that do you mean Ched Evans and Clayton McDonald?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 79
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 8, 2015, 1:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
If there is someone prepared to underwrite the cost of bringing Ched Evans here, what is Hurst doing signing Ollie Whatsit? Presumably we could sign someone else costing as much as Evans.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 79
Les Brechin
January 8, 2015, 1:16pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,690
Gold Stars: 174
If there is someone prepared to underwrite the cost of bringing Ched Evans here, what is Hurst doing signing Ollie Whatsit? Presumably we could sign someone else costing as much as Evans.

I honestly don't think there ever was a financial backer willing to underwrite the cost. I reckon that the telegraph have got wind of a few individuals on Facebook, who have "pledged" around £3000, which would pay about a couple of weeks wages maybe, and made this fact known to the club, and the Telegraph have blown the whole thing out of proportion.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 79
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 8, 2015, 1:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Les Brechin

I honestly don't think there ever was a financial backer willing to underwrite the cost. I reckon that the telegraph have got wind of a few individuals on Facebook, who have "pledged" around £3000, which would pay about a couple of weeks wages maybe, and blown the whole thing out of proportion.

I'm sure you are right Les. I'm just stirring the pot a bit!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 79
fleabag1970
January 8, 2015, 1:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
HE IS GUILTY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!       Why cant some of the poster except that .......................?  

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 79
Perkins
January 8, 2015, 1:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

As does Clayton McDonald...

In that do you mean Ched Evans and Clayton McDonald?

Must be the case as a third party was involved but she can,t remember anything about it. ( according to the reports)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 79
highcliff mariner
January 8, 2015, 1:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from 3595[u
]HE IS GUILTY ![/u]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!       Why cant some of the poster except that .......................?  

He has been convicted  !
I wouldnt want him playing for us either .
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 79
January 8, 2015, 1:43pm
Guest User
Quoted from Les Brechin

I honestly don't think there ever was a financial backer willing to underwrite the cost. I reckon that the telegraph have got wind of a few individuals on Facebook, who have "pledged" around £3000, which would pay about a couple of weeks wages maybe, and made this fact known to the club, and the Telegraph have blown the whole thing out of proportion.

I had personally guaranteed the £3000 Les. I was prepared to transfer the cash before I got the pledges in.

I was putting 1k in myself and the offer still stands for Evans. It would be a donation.

I know in the grand scheme of things it's peanuts but I approached the trust asking if they would take my proposal to the GTFC board. If they had been keen, I was going to bring it to the fishy members asking to boost the fund.

I fully understand the clubs position, From what I've read, I believe Ched's appeal will be successful but I wasn't on the jury.

It had been discussed already so it sounds like somebody with proper money had offered to fully fund the signing.
Reply: 28 - 79
ginnywings
January 8, 2015, 1:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 75

I had personally guaranteed the £3000 Les. I was prepared to transfer the cash before I got the pledges in.

I was putting 1k in myself and the offer still stands for Evans. It would be a donation.

I know in the grand scheme of things it's peanuts but I approached the trust asking if they would take my proposal to the GTFC board. If they had been keen, I was going to bring it to the fishy members asking to boost the fund.

I fully understand the clubs position, From what I've read, I believe Ched's appeal will be successful but I wasn't on the jury.

It had been discussed already so it sounds like somebody with proper money had offered to fully fund the signing.

Very unlikely as his appeal was rejected. He is now before the Criminal Review Commission  who have a backlog of three years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Financial backer for ched evans

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.