Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Negative fans attitude and its influence on the te
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 14 Guests

Negative fans attitude and its influence on the te

This thread currently has 23,820 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Marinerz93
January 7, 2015, 4:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
How many Toxic fans do we have, a handful, two handfuls, I call bullshit again, there are no where near the amount of fans people claim on here that make the players under perform and miss key opportunities during the game.  Is it the fans fault that PH sets his teams up to cancel out the opposition, it may get you a few wins but it would explain why we aren't convincing and we have very little self belief that PH will get us promoted.

I would love to be proven wrong and PH turns countless home convincing wins whilst guiding us to promotion.  What I will say is more likely is that our gates will continue to fall until we are hovering around 2,000 and JF will say the budget has to be cut but there will always be money to bring in players who make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

The only way to silence critics is to start winning at home and be more convincing, not bleating that someone said something you didn't like.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 120
oldun
January 7, 2015, 4:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I think fans can take a defeat, but we have had too many at home this season. However I think it is more to do with the manner of many of the defeats, when we know that if those on the pitch do the right things, play to their potential then we need not have lost as many as we have. In defeat it is natural to look for reasons and people to blame. That's life I am afraid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 120
Chrisblor
January 7, 2015, 4:32pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,757
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from psgmariner

Excellent point. It is absolute bollox to suggest Town fans get behind players who try their hardest. The treatment of LJL proves this.

Fans DO have to take some responsibility here. It certainly IS a problem and it certainly DOES have an effect on player performance.

LJL got a lot of stick when he was barely scoring because he missed a lot of easy chances that you'd expect a professional footballer to score. Since he's hit a bit of goalscoring form and starred in the club's Christmas video I think supporters have started to appreciate his efforts and I've certainly noticed a lot more praise and less criticism towards him in the stands. Yeah, everyone still groans when he misses chances, but that's human nature and would happen at any club.

I'm struggling to think of anyone who has played for us and been on the receiving end of abuse while putting in 100% commitment on the pitch. Even less skilled players like Michael Leary, Bradley Wood and Nick Hegarty have been recognised for their effort. In general, it's players who look lazy and unconcerned on the pitch, regardless of their contribution to the team who typically draw the fiercest abuse from supporters (e.g. Bore, Arnold, Hatton and nearly everyone Mike Newell signed).

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 120
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 7, 2015, 5:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Chrisblor

LJL got a lot of stick when he was barely scoring because he missed a lot of easy chances that you'd expect a professional footballer to score. Since he's hit a bit of goalscoring form and starred in the club's Christmas video I think supporters have started to appreciate his efforts and I've certainly noticed a lot more praise and less criticism towards him in the stands. Yeah, everyone still groans when he misses chances, but that's human nature and would happen at any club.

I'm struggling to think of anyone who has played for us and been on the receiving end of abuse while putting in 100% commitment on the pitch. Even less skilled players like Michael Leary, Bradley Wood and Nick Hegarty have been recognised for their effort. In general, it's players who look lazy and unconcerned on the pitch, regardless of their contribution to the team who typically draw the fiercest abuse from supporters (e.g. Bore, Arnold, Hatton and nearly everyone Mike Newell signed).

I've nothing against the bloke personally but do you think he would be as popular as he is and be on a video if he had missed a couple of penalties and not had that little scoring run?

He would still be trying hard and the manager would definitely be picking him regardless but I bet the fans would be on his back no matter how much running about the lad did. Wholehearted effort is applauded but a player has to do the job they are paid for as well. Strikers have to score goals. If that stops, so does the applause.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 120
friskneymariner
January 7, 2015, 11:19pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
The missing 3000 can not all be wrong.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 120
MarinerWY
January 7, 2015, 11:38pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,980
Gold Stars: 47

I've nothing against the bloke personally but do you think he would be as popular as he is and be on a video if he had missed a couple of penalties and not had that little scoring run?

He would still be trying hard and the manager would definitely be picking him regardless but I bet the fans would be on his back no matter how much running about the lad did. Wholehearted effort is applauded but a player has to do the job they are paid for as well. Strikers have to score goals. If that stops, so does the applause.

The problem is "the applause stopping" is nuetral, getting on his back isn't, it is negative and counter-productive.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 120
GrimRob
January 8, 2015, 7:42am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from friskneymariner
The missing 3000 can not all be wrong.

How do you work that out?

We averaged 3500 last season, 3800 the season before, and before PH came we averaged 3000.

This season we are averaging. nearly 3600! A few more bums are actually on seats than they were a year ago, and considerably more than when PH came.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 76 - 120
Marinerz93
January 8, 2015, 5:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from GrimRob

We averaged 3500 last season, 3800 the season before, and before PH came we averaged 3000.

This season we are averaging. nearly 3600! A few more bums are actually on seats than they were a year ago, and considerably more than when PH came.

If the season was over it could be claimed as a gradual improvement but the season isn't over yet Rob, the pendulum hasn't finished swinging  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 120
barralad
January 8, 2015, 7:00pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from GrimRob

There you go again Rob-letting the facts get in the way of mythology. If I hadn't turned off my ticks and crosses feature you'd be getting a big, fat cross!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 120
grimsby pete
January 8, 2015, 7:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from oldun
I think fans can take a defeat, but we have had too many at home this season. However I think it is more to do with the manner of many of the defeats, when we know that if those on the pitch do the right things, play to their potential then we need not have lost as many as we have. In defeat it is natural to look for reasons and people to blame. That's life I am afraid.

I agree, why does Hurst set up the team so defensively at home.

To travel all the way from Suffolk to watch a rare home game ( I get to more away games )

To find out Hurst starts the game with one striker,

Do you not have any confidence  in your team Hurst ?

Start the game on the front foot and attack and you will find the fans will get behind the team and you.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 120
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Negative fans attitude and its influence on the te

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.