Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Negative fans attitude and its influence on the te
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 14 Guests

Negative fans attitude and its influence on the te

This thread currently has 23,727 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
cmackenzie4
January 6, 2015, 2:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from ginnywings

Good post with many sensible points but but your last paragraph alludes to the chicken and egg thing. We are good away from home, so the fans are happy and positive. The alternative view is that we are good away BECAUSE the fans are positive.

You also talk of the fans moderating their behaviour, but where does that leave fans such as myself and my brother/mates with whom i attend home games? We will get animated when we are doing well and creating chances but generally sit in silence when we are playing as we did against Macclesfield. Yeah, we'll have a chunter but we don't shout abuse towards the players. The worst we will do is leave the ground early and have a right old moan on the way home. I will come on here and voice my concerns, which is what this site is for. If any players or club officials are offended by internet content, then i suggest they stay away.

I appreciate there are some very vocal fans and among that number are some who hurl abuse at every turn. They are probably hen pecked at home and need an outlet but those dissenting voices would be drowned out if we saw i bit more from the pitch. Those abuse hurlers are at every club in the country and despite what some on here think, we are not exceptional in that regard IMO.

I have no problem with my team losing games, it's football and it happens. It would become very boring if we won 3-0 every week. There is however a difference between defeat and surrender.

If the players are genuinely suffering because of the negativity, then i don't know what the answer is but it's becoming quite apparent that the weight of expectation is too much for some of our squad. That is probably why they are conference players in the end, because they just don't have the mental capacity for success and are happy to play for clubs with lower crowds and expectations.

It's a right old pickle for sure.

Good post ginny  as always. My thoughts exactly!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 120
KingstonMariner
January 6, 2015, 2:42pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Youngy
The points on here about how it happens all over the country is rubbish. I've been to many games as a neutral over the years and I have never heard the venom that comes anywhere close to what it's like on some days at BP.

I accept that as paying supporters that everybody has the right to voice their views. But there's a fine line between criticism and abuse, one that seems to be often crossed by sections of support at BP.

To say that players need to be stronger mentally is also tosh. Imagine going into your job and having somebody shout at you constantly all day telling you your excrement, would you be able to hack it? The players are human.

Boo at the final whistle for sure if we've played badly but when Arnold doesn’t meet a pass in the first 30 seconds, ask yourself if it's really worth a barrage of abuse and hated?

It does happen. Not everywhere and not all the time, by any means. You could cut the atmosphere with a knife at Molyneaux when we played there a couple of times and the home support started to lose patience with Wolves. Doesn't happen so often in the Conference cos many clubs are just happy to be playing "the likes of Grimsby".

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 120
Quagmire
January 6, 2015, 2:55pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +929
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from WokingMariner

It's this sort of attitude which is the heart of the problem. We are a non-league side now, you have to accept that. If you set the bar so high that everything but finishing top of the league is a failure then you are always going to be disappointed. There are plenty of big clubs in this league with lots of money. We have no right to be top, great if we are, but you cannot demand it.

It's this sort of attitude, whereby mediocrity is acceptable, that has led us to this current place, and will continue to keep us here.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 120
Garth
January 6, 2015, 3:05pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25

It's this sort of attitude which is the heart of the problem. We are a non-league side now, you have to accept that. If you set the bar so high that everything but finishing top of the league is a failure then you are always going to be disappointed. There are plenty of big clubs in this league with lots of money. We have no right to be top, great if we are, but you cannot demand it.

Oh dear. could have been written by our manager
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 120
MuddyWaters
January 6, 2015, 3:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230

So we just roll over and accept that our once-proud club is destined to play RaggedArse Rovers every week - just as long as Mr F builds a new stadium as his lasting memorial for taking the club to an all-time low.

We have a squad that has enough quality but not enough fight and a manager that doesn't know how to get the best out of them. Not so many weeks ago, we score 13 goals in a weekend yet have never repeated the shape of the team since - indeed two key players in that system (Nielson and Mclaughlin) regularly warm the bench. We loan in a lad who plays one friendly, score twice, is never given a chance and has score 3 in 2 since.

You may find this hard to believe, but I feel a bit sorry for John Fenty on this one. The board has funded a new player and we haven't given him a chance, like Humble, Walker, Winfarrah and Southwell before that.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 120
Marinerz93
January 6, 2015, 6:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
I call bullshit on this thread for the following reasons,

The majority of Town fans backed the club to stop us going out of the league, these fans backed the club more than a handful of people moaning and getting on the players backs now.  For all the pro chanting and happy clapping it didn't stop us crashing out of the league.

Our budget is decided on home gates, PH and the players have to make BP a place were teams leave empty handed, the increased gates will mean a bigger budget.  The frustration is people know this, they back the team and the players collapse, we are in a cycle now and the only way out of it is for the players to step up and get the fans back on side and start turn in winning and convincing performances.

Town fans don't suffer fools any more, we had a decade of it.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 120
Garth
January 6, 2015, 6:50pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from Marinerz93
I call bullshit on this thread for the following reasons,

The majority of Town fans backed the club to stop us going out of the league, these fans backed the club more than a handful of people moaning and getting on the players backs now.  For all the pro chanting and happy clapping it didn't stop us crashing our of the league.

Our budget is decided on home gates, PH and the players have to make BP a place were teams leave empty handed, the increased gates will mean a bigger budget.  The frustration is people know this, they back the team and the players collapse, we are in a cycle now and the only way out of it is for the players to step up and get the fans back on side and start turn in winning and convincing performances.

Town fans don't suffer fools any more, we had a of decade.

Good post, the only people that can effect our future from now till the end of the season is the Manager and the players, crowds don`t score goals or dictate tactics,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 120
Vance Warner
January 6, 2015, 7:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Great post to start this thread IMO. The part below sums it up for me.

Quoted from 3610

John fenty never said it was all the fans fault. What he did say though, was poorly written, poorly timed and placed ontop of a recent history of snide comments on here aimed at the fans which meant what he was actually saying was easily perceived in a completely different way.

No-one can doubt Fenty has good intentions but his decision making has been horrific. One of the scariest statements he made for me was along the lines of "I used to lie awake at night worrying how we would get people out to Great Coates.' Despite this he spent a fortune on it and put all his eggs in one basket. My worry is this was done for his ego rather than the good of the club.  

In terms of negativity at matches it certainly exists. Lots of other clubs have this but not all. I know people who've moved their season ticket seats to get away from people who constantly moan at matches. This hasn't been helped by the last 10 years but it went on long before that. Even Alan Buckley in his heyday got wound up by it and players like Danny Butterfield and Tommy Widdrington certainly suffered. I really hope the mentality of 'give your all and we'll get behind you' still exists but the criticism of Lenny earlier in the season suggests not. The atmosphere at a lot of grounds and at BP in the past comes from a pride in your team and perhaps more importantly a pride in your town. Unfortunately and understandably this has disappeared over the last 20 years. The decline of the football club mirrors the decline of the town in general. Both need to improve before we have something to be proud of again.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 120
MuddyWaters
January 6, 2015, 7:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Vance Warner
Great post to start this thread IMO. The part below sums it up for me.

No-one can doubt Fenty has good intentions but his decision making has been horrific. One of the scariest statements he made for me was along the lines of "I used to lie awake at night worrying how we would get people out to Great Coates.' Despite this he spent a fortune on it and put all his eggs in one basket. My worry is this was done for his ego rather than the good of the club.  

In terms of negativity at matches it certainly exists. Lots of other clubs have this but not all. I know people who've moved their season ticket seats to get away from people who constantly moan at matches. This hasn't been helped by the last 10 years but it went on long before that. Even Alan Buckley in his heyday got wound up by it and players like Danny Butterfield and Tommy Widdrington certainly suffered. I really hope the mentality of 'give your all and we'll get behind you' still exists but the criticism of Lenny earlier in the season suggests not. The atmosphere at a lot of grounds and at BP in the past comes from a pride in your team and perhaps more importantly a pride in your town. Unfortunately and understandably this has disappeared over the last 20 years. The decline of the football club mirrors the decline of the town in general. Both need to improve before we have something to be proud of again.  

Gets a tick from me. I'd be at far more games if the players were sent out with the right mentality. Just get bored of the passive attitude of the manager and team and the chairman's willingness to put up with it.

The stadium thing is interesting. I'm becoming more and more concerned that it is either a) Fenty's attempt at glossing over the decade of disaster by appeasing the fans or b) a distraction from the more obvious need to climb the leagues or possibly both.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 120
January 7, 2015, 9:15am
Guest User
I get and understand most of all the responses on here, of when people are listing their reasons why there is a toxic atmosphere at BP.  I can relate to them.

But this isn't about listing the reasons, it's about how you can change an unhelpful atmosphere to help maximise the players performances.

In professional sport the 1% is often talked about being the difference between winning and losing. Good coaches and team set ups strive to make sure everything is in their favour to get that extra 1% over the opposition. With our home crowd it's almost like losing 10%!

The viewpoint of 'fans won't just support any old crap' and 'they should sit in our seats' I understand where you are coming from. They should get some insight on what's like being a fan.

And when the management say 'we are trying 100%', 'we are fourth in the table' etc I also get their point. And the fans need to see this from behind closed doors to see their side of things. What they are trying to do. How the fans can help or hinder.

That is why john stills move to get the fans involved was a master stroke. It broke the standoff. It closed the gap between fan and player. One team.

There are a few posters on here who would be ideal candidates to take fenty up on his offer for a chat. Go talk to him. Hopefully he has changed tack enough and doesn't just list his reasons for his attitude and you get something constructive from it. It's a start

If you don't go and talk then stop posting the same stuff on here every week. Cos if it bothers you that much, then here is an opportunity for you to start a change. It helped at Luton- why not here?
Reply: 59 - 120
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Negative fans attitude and its influence on the te

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.