Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Negative fans attitude and its influence on the te
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 22 Guests

Negative fans attitude and its influence on the te

This thread currently has 23,911 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
January 6, 2015, 8:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505

Yes Les, there is a certain irony there,    but only if we believe that the league position is a realistic one. Deep down I think many supporters feel it is false, the success is too fragile to last and the position achieved in spite of the manager not because of him.

This is the major point for me. It's Luton-syndrome...the crashing reality that hits (some) supporters that signals the lack of faith in the team/manager come the seasons end, regardless of how you start/where you are at New Year/who you beat and by how many.

I remember The Fishy acting in surprise just a couple of seasons back when Luton were on Money's back despite them being top 3 or 4.
We're now in that same position, I feel, that of being relatively 'well off' in terms of league position, being told to be thankful that we're in with a great chance of promotion by some, but deep down knowing that, like Money's Luton, we will bottle the major games and still be beaten by the most basic teams with their 30 fans after doing our bit and 'packing the Park'.

In Hurst we have our own Richard Money, and IMO we now need our John Still to push us that bit further over the line.
Just my own non-hysterical, non-abusive version of things.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 120
barralad
January 6, 2015, 9:11am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from MuddyWaters

They should sit in our seats and watch the passionless crap we watch.

Shouldn't that be deck chair in your case?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 120
WokingMariner
January 6, 2015, 9:25am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +160
Gold Stars: 2
I often go to Woking and the crowd rarely get on the players backs the way they do at BP. I think it's largely down to expectations. Woking are as high as they have ever been so the supporters are living a dream just being where they are. The biggest problem fans are BP seem to be those supporters, now in middle age, who grew up watching football three divisions higher. They seem to expect the standards of yesteryear in the Conference and it's totally unrealistic. All the negative vibes just rub off on the players and make it ever harder for the team to perform at home. The younger fans who have only known lower league or non-league football seem to be much happier with their lot and get behind the team a lot more. Our away support is fantastic and I am sure that's why we do so much better away from home.

Up the Mighty Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 120
DocTower
January 6, 2015, 9:39am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from WokingMariner
I often go to Woking and the crowd rarely get on the players backs the way they do at BP. I think it's largely down to expectations. Woking are as high as they have ever been so the supporters are living a dream just being where they are. The biggest problem fans are BP seem to be those supporters, now in middle age, who grew up watching football three divisions higher. They seem to expect the standards of yesteryear in the Conference and it's totally unrealistic. All the negative vibes just rub off on the players and make it ever harder for the team to perform at home. The younger fans who have only known lower league or non-league football seem to be much happier with their lot and get behind the team a lot more. Our away support is fantastic and I am sure that's why we do so much better away from home.

See where your coming from , so it's  Alan Buckley fault .
I suppose we have well over 100 professional  clubs with supporters wanting to see good football week in week out . Unfortunately  being realistic it won't to the majority and us  under this regime . Conference  is awful , teams probably  see us as a yard stick to see how good they are , and up their game to a point  . We should be better , and prove that we are , just not happening .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 120
MuddyWaters
January 6, 2015, 9:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from barralad

Shouldn't that be deck chair in your case?

Nowadays, yea.   seriously, they should watch how AFC Wimbledon applied themselves and be ashamed of their home record
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 120
dapperz fun pub
January 6, 2015, 10:05am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82

I am one of those middle aged fans you talk about who grew up watching town play man city Leeds west ham Newcastle every week and all I expect is players to give everything every week regardless of ability but in the last decade or so ive seen more players who couldn't give a excrement than anything, now that really does urine me off. My fav player is the shop ...cos he's a top player ..well not really but because his effort and work rate is good
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 120
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 6, 2015, 10:09am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

The point about younger fans is fair enough. Lincoln seem to have a good bunch with the Dambusters.

But support isn't why Town do better away. The side is set up to react to what other sides do. It is based on deep defence first and foremost. If the other side don't want to or are not good enough to push up and leave spaces for us to play behind them we are stuck. Lack of creativity and pace going forward, wingers playing as extra full backs, it just runs us into cul-de-sacs and we end up playing across them or knocking hopeful balls up to LJL. Away from home everything is a bonus and we accept that a result means more than playing well. At home we are not so forgiving.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 120
Youngy
January 6, 2015, 10:21am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,665
Gold Stars: 9
The points on here about how it happens all over the country is rubbish. I've been to many games as a neutral over the years and I have never heard the venom that comes anywhere close to what it's like on some days at BP.

I accept that as paying supporters that everybody has the right to voice their views. But there's a fine line between criticism and abuse, one that seems to be often crossed by sections of support at BP.

To say that players need to be stronger mentally is also tosh. Imagine going into your job and having somebody shout at you constantly all day telling you your excrement, would you be able to hack it? The players are human.

Boo at the final whistle for sure if we've played badly but when Arnold doesn’t meet a pass in the first 30 seconds, ask yourself if it's really worth a barrage of abuse and hated?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 120
barralad
January 6, 2015, 10:34am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Rick12
Fair point fans pay good money to watch Town play.Like Dav mariner said I don't mind us loosing if the effort is forthcoming .However what most fans cant stand is  lack of passion and effort .

I have followed this debate with interest.  As someone who suffered the season before and the season of relegation to this league I feel I am qualified to understand what is meant by a lack of passion. It is only a few weeks ago that someone made reference to Poojah's famous rant after the Bath City game on that very subject.
What I am struggling to understand is how that definition of lack of passion can in any way be levelled at our current crop of players.They might not always get it right but the likes of Shaun Pearson, Carl Magnay, Scott Brown, LJL, and Toto always put in a shift. Some of the away performances, whilst not exactly putting the opposition to the sword, have seen passion displayed in abundance- thinking of Kiddy away and that fantastic day at Torquay. In fact the only case I've read about that for me holds water is Nathan Arnold but even then I have reservations-not every GTFC player needs to have the "ability" to put a player in Row C of the nearest stand.....  
IMO it is an "inconvenient truth" that away performances are better in general than those at home. There is of course a very strong argument for saying that tactically we are better suited to away matches where the home team have to come at you more. This aside only someone suffering from a terminal case of blinkers could dismiss the effect that the virtually unqualified wholehearted backing for the teams efforts which comes from Town's support has on performance. Only once this season have I left an away ground a bit deflated by the lack of performance and that was at Dartford. You only have to look at the reactions of the players-notably Pearson LJL and Magnay to know what it means to them.
It is unrealistic to expect that same level of vocal support at home where the fans are more spread out in a ground much larger than many we visit but there are some aspects which appear at home which simply don't away. It is almost as though at home we are waiting for the opposition to score first because when they do regardless of what has gone on before the atmosphere changes instantly.
I accept that it is chicken and egg and can of course understand the argument that success on the field makes for sweetness and light on the terraces but, at some point I genuinely believe that us the fans will have to moderate our behaviour.
An accusation of lack of passion sounds good and knowledgeable but in this case simply doesn't add up against the current squad. Is it an accusation that could be aimed at the home fan base? I really, genuinely don't know but reading the Fishy on a daily basis there is sometimes more passion displayed on here in one thread than I hear at B.P. on a Saturday...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 120
barralad
January 6, 2015, 10:41am
Mariners Trust

The point about younger fans is fair enough. Lincoln seem to have a good bunch with the Dambusters.

But support isn't why Town do better away. The side is set up to react to what other sides do. It is based on deep defence first and foremost. If the other side don't want to or are not good enough to push up and leave spaces for us to play behind them we are stuck. Lack of creativity and pace going forward, wingers playing as extra full backs, it just runs us into cul-de-sacs and we end up playing across them or knocking hopeful balls up to LJL. Away from home everything is a bonus and we accept that a result means more than playing well. At home we are not so forgiving.

I accept it isn't the sole reason but it is stretching the point of believability to think that it doesn't have some effect. Footballers are not tactical "machines" that you can just programme to carry out certain tasks. I have no idea of your working background but I know that if a customer thanked me or a superior praised my efforts it gave me a buzz....

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 120
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Negative fans attitude and its influence on the te

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.