Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Good By My Fishy Friends
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 287 Guests

Good By My Fishy Friends

This thread currently has 28,559 views. Print
21 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... All Recommend Thread
Getyourfactsright
January 5, 2015, 7:57pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +19 / -26
Approval: +196
Gold Stars: 47
Dear Fishes.

I have decided to never post or visit the fishy again due to the extreme and unfair interpretations of some of my posts. Not to mention the vile and abuse I endure.

Never once have I blamed the fans for anything.

Like it or not, BP is hostile for the home-side according to some players.

Only yesterday, I'm told by a lady who brought her two children to a recent game, that the swearing and vile behaviour of some around, would stop them from coming again.

These are facts.

I understand the frustrations and passion of fans, as heck I am just another.

Very happy as always to meet any number of you, with other directors as you may wish, to hear your views, concerns and ideas. Accordingly contact Ian Fleming at the club to arrange.

Otherwise, hope to see you all in fine voice with positive passion..

Best wishes John UTM

Private Message
psgmariner
January 5, 2015, 8:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
All the best John. I liked your posts and enjoyed you correcting of the fishy know it alls.

Private Message
Reply: 1 - 201
MuddyWaters
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Instead of continuing to blame the fans, why don't persuade your manager and players to come out and play with fire and passion and get the fans behind them.

I have never doubted you as a fan, and therefore you, of all people, should remember how the likes of Cumming, Waters, Boylen, Cockerill, Cunnington and even Pouton roused the crowd with their commitment.

You have to admit that seasons home performances have been poor. You too pay the players wages. Give us pride, passion and commitment and you will the support back in spades.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 201
gtfc82
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Bye bye Mr Fake, sorry Fenty!!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 201
Tinymariner
January 5, 2015, 8:13pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Sorry to hear that John, you've always been pleasant whenever we have met. It's shame that there are those out there and on here, who feel the need to abuse and constantly criticise others.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 201
ginnywings
January 5, 2015, 8:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
So long and thanks for all the fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 201
craigy
January 5, 2015, 8:16pm
Upper Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +92
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Instead of continuing to blame the fans, why don't persuade your manager and players to come out and play with fire and passion and get the fans behind them.

I have never doubted you as a fan, and therefore you, of all people, should remember how the likes of Cumming, Waters, Boylen, Cockerill, Cunnington and even Pouton roused the crowd with their commitment.

You have to admit that seasons home performances have been poor. You too pay the players wages. Give us pride, passion and commitment and you will the support back in spades.

Can you remember when Scott and hurst first came to Grimsby and we played kiddy in a 3-3 draw I think it was and they said after the game that the fans applauded the squad for every tackle and close downing that day. What has changed to that commitment
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 201
Neilo83
January 5, 2015, 8:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +262
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from craigy

Can you remember when Scott and hurst first came to Grimsby and we played kiddy in a 3-3 draw I think it was and they said after the game that the fans applauded the squad for every tackle and close downing that day. What has changed to that commitment

We dont tackle and close teams down anymore....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 201
Pontoon84
January 5, 2015, 8:23pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +13
Probably hostile to the players that are stealing a living by playing for our club, that's what it's like to play for a big club (at this level) it's hostile Ya gotta win so tough stop crying & get on with it!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 201
jonnyboy82
January 5, 2015, 8:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Bye.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 201
Mrs Doyle
January 5, 2015, 8:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Wise move could never understand why you would indulge in slanging matches on here it's not good for you the club or the fans. All clubs have fans who vent their feelings ever see the abuse big Sam Alladyce got when he was Newcastles manager. This site is only a fraction of the support at GTFC Just get us back in the league WE ALL WANT THAT.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 201
carrot top
January 5, 2015, 8:25pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
For what it is worth, you and the players ( I assume it is not all hopefully) need to grow some. I have never heard such rubbish spouted. Football grounds are full of people who vent their frustrations. What do you want us to do Mr Fenty, just sit there and say nothing, or should we break opposing fans flags to show passion. You as an example, don't make me laugh
I have supported Town for almost 50 years, unwaveringly until recently but I have never experienced some of the drivel and PC that is spouted on this site now. I am passionate about my club and always have been, but at the moment it is painful. Hostile home fans?
BTW there is a family stand if people don't like some colourful language. It never did me any harm listening to all the language vented years ago from the pontoon and Barrett stand
I hope somebody, please, can buy you out

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 201
thefish
January 5, 2015, 8:29pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from Getyourfactsright
Dear Fishes.

I have decided to never post or visit the fishy again due to the extreme and unfair interpretations of some of my posts. Not to mention the vile and abuse I endure.

Only yesterday, I'm told by a lady who brought her two children to a recent game, that the swearing and vile behaviour of some around, would stop them from coming again.

These are facts.

Very happy as always to meet any number of you, with other directors as you may wish, to hear your views, concerns and ideas. Accordingly contact Ian Fleming at the club to arrange.

Best wishes John UTM

To be fair, I've seen a lot of vile behaviour in Blundell Park. It was only a couple of seasons ago I saw a grown man snap a flag in half!

As for the players finding Blundell Park hostile... There were 3000 of us sat in silence watching drivel against Macclesfield, they were lucky we weren't making it hostile for them! Tell them to man up a bit! They get fantastic support away from home and if the performances picked up at home, I'm sure the support would pick up at home also.

Anyway, tell the lads I will give them a cuddle the next time somebody boos them, UTM and here's to promotion in 2015!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 201
TAGG
January 5, 2015, 8:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,960
Gold Stars: 124
Same old bla bla bla.
Shouldn't have come on here in the first place if you can't take it.
Thought you were gona say you were leaving the club, never mind you can't have everything.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 201
Nelly GTFC
January 5, 2015, 8:38pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,732
Gold Stars: 31
I've seen Peter Handyside get assaulted on the pitch by a Wolves player, and the referee / linesmen not batting an eyelid! I don't think you can beat that on a Tueday night for abuse!

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 201
darren9
January 5, 2015, 8:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +607
Gold Stars: 39
Probably for the best. Arguing with fans and posting provocative comments (remember "bit quiet" after a win?) isn't the most professional of actions from someone so closely associated with the club.

Grimsby's PR has seen a notable improvement recently. The preseason 12 man video was excellent as was the Lloyd videos especially the Christmas message which has exceeded all expectations and reached a massive audience.

Surely the type of posting has undermined that work?

Please, stop treating us like idiots. Continually denying blaming fans but in the next breath saying the fans are hostile. Which is it? Are we to blame or not? As for those who won't come again due to abuse/foul language. I doubt that we're any better or worse than any other teams fans. Lets not pretend otherwise eh?

John, your actions were probably well meaning but it's backfired.  

From bow on let the PR department do their job. It's what they're paid for.

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 201
AlanPoutonsTackle
January 5, 2015, 8:43pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +57
I think John rightly or wrongly you have stuck your neck out to come on to a forum, not many in charge would have done so, it's a hiding to nothing but respect has to be given for trying. I do think the lack of constructive criticism on here is the reason you've gone and that's understandable, you will never win with some regardless. I think if anything during your time on here (if your still reading) is take on board some of the common sense you have seen on here. Despite only being fans on here some have a vast and in a few cases professional knowledge of football. We are the fans as are you and the need to get back into the league is paramount and I know that's not wasted on you. You know when the time comes that something needs to change to move on. I hope to Christ we can do it this year but please bear in mind you have a core of honest , loyal and diehard fans that with respect are fully understanding of the difference between, good tactical knowledge and the ability to get the best out of players and constant underachieving. I think you know and it takes bravery but as they say He who dares wins.

"With a minute to go Buckley said keep it in the corner, I thought he meant the top corner." - Jim Dobbin
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 201
forza ivano
January 5, 2015, 8:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,148
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from darren9
Probably for the best. Arguing with fans and posting provocative comments (remember "bit quiet" after a win?) isn't the most professional of actions from someone so closely associated with the club.

Grimsby's PR has seen a notable improvement recently. The preseason 12 man video was excellent as was the Lloyd videos especially the Christmas message which has exceeded all expectations and reached a massive audience.

Please, stop treating us like idiots. Continually denying blaming fans but in the next breath saying the fans are hostile. Which is it? Are we to blame or not? As for those who won't come again due to abuse/foul language. I doubt that we're any better or worse than any other teams fans. Lets not pretend otherwise eh?

Wise words Darren

Although the entertainment value of the fishy has now dropped a notch or 2!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 201
MuddyWaters
January 5, 2015, 8:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from darren9

Good post. Think it's time the club grows a set from the chairman through the manager down to the players and realise how lucky they are to have such a loyal set of fans.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 201
pontoonlew
January 5, 2015, 8:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,987
Gold Stars: 171
John,

Over the past 2-3 seasons, this football club has drained the absolute life out of me. I'll support this club through thick and thin, I travel a 400 mile round trip just to make a home game. I've properly supported this club since that famous day in 98, since then i've seen little success but I tell you what I've seen some passion, some grit and i've been entertained. I've seen players like Pouton bust a bollock for the club, I saw Jevons score 'that' goal at Anfield, I've seen Andy Todd grab the club from certain relegation and I've seen a team do us stupidly proud by over achieving in the Championship year after year. I think deep down we all knew the clubs standing in the Championship wouldn't last forever, I can accept where we are now.

What I cannot accept, is the passion and grit that has been ripped away from it all. The entertainment that the current manager has drained from it, I don't like going to games anymore, I chose to do different things and I feel robbed of the club that I originally fell in love with. I don't really care if i've missed a 1-0 home win against Dover, the chances are I wouldn't had enjoyed it anyway! Then you come on here, you goad the fans who have stuck with this club through everything, you goad those fans who DARE to say they're sick of it. For a club who have fallen so far it's stunning that we're even this patient but I for one am totally sick of it now. I'm sick of going to a game, travelling 400 miles to get there and back, to see a toothless, heartless performance and then to top it all off, the manager comes on the radio and tells me it's my fault! It's my fault he's drained all the entertainment from the club i've supported for the majority of my life, it's my fault he sits back and plays shite, negative boring football week in week out. You and others at the club seem to think that we should just accept that? Who bloody cares if we 'got the result' when the fun isn't there anymore? Unless something changes we'll not have enough to get out of this league.

I have defended you for years, I dread to think where we'd be without you. But to blame the fans after the absolute shite you've overseen in the past 10 or so years is an absolute flipping insult to the time, effort, money and pain i've invested supporting the rubbish currently on show.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 201
lew chaterleys lover
January 5, 2015, 8:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236
Dear Fishes.

These are facts.

Best wishes John UTM

Try these facts.

Your tenure has been a disaster. We are an established non league side thanks to you.

The generations of fans and brilliant ex managers and players are in bewilderment as to how you have managed to make such a mess of it all.

To try to obscure the mess we are in by quoting the odd fan who doesn't like the atmosphere makes my blood boil - what should we be doing after a decade of dross? Don't expect the fans to doff their caps just cos you reign supreme with your money.

At least if you stay away from here you can't publically embarrass the club with your inept ramblings.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 201
Richard Cranium
January 5, 2015, 9:00pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: -36
It is also time for people to show some respect to the man that has kept this club going
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 201
MuddyWaters
January 5, 2015, 9:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Richard Cranium
It is also time for people to show some respect to the man that has kept this club going

You earn respect, you don't pay for it. Look at the balance sheet. Enough said.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 201
darren9
January 5, 2015, 9:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +607
Gold Stars: 39
Most fans do respect him for dipping his hand into his own pocket to keep the club going. Not many would do the same.

But, we have every right to question those in charge. Be that chairman, manager ... Whoever.

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 201
grimsby pete
January 5, 2015, 9:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Sorry to hear you say that John, I will miss your posts mate,

You could always come back under a different name ,

Anyway look forward to seeing you at another away game soon,

AND

If the team can sort the home form out,

I will make that horrible journey up to Cleethorpes to celebrate 60 years of going to the park.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 201
fleabag1970
January 5, 2015, 9:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Quoted from carrot top
For what it is worth, you and the players ( I assume it is not all hopefully) need to grow some. I have never heard such rubbish spouted. Football grounds are full of people who vent their frustrations. What do you want us to do Mr Fenty, just sit there and say nothing, or should we break opposing fans flags to show passion. You as an example, don't make me laugh
I have supported Town for almost 50 years, unwaveringly until recently but I have never experienced some of the drivel and PC that is spouted on this site now. I am passionate about my club and always have been, but at the moment it is painful. Hostile home fans?
BTW there is a family stand if people don't like some colourful language. It never did me any harm listening to all the language vented years ago from the pontoon and Barrett stand
I hope somebody, please, can buy you out

errrrrrrrrrrrrr , I was in the " Family Stand "  for the Lincoln game , None of the " Family's "  could see the match because loads of fans without tickets for that area were let in and not removed by the Stewards .............................

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 201
GrimRob

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,401
Gold Stars: 113
Thanks for your contributions John. It was a brave step to put yourself in the firing line and not something many directors have attempted at other clubs so I applaud you for sticking your neck out and trying to get your view across this.way,

Let's hope we can back to winning ways again soon then it will be a quiet place again on the Fishy.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 201
moosey_club
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from pontoonlew
John,

Over the past 2-3 seasons, this football club has drained the absolute life out of me. I'll support this club through thick and thin, I travel a 400 mile round trip just to make a home game. I've properly supported this club since that famous day in 98, since then i've seen little success but I tell you what I've seen some passion, some grit and i've been entertained. I've seen players like Pouton bust a bollock for the club, I saw Jevons score 'that' goal at Anfield, I've seen Andy Todd grab the club from certain relegation and I've seen a team do us stupidly proud by over achieving in the Championship year after year. I think deep down we all knew the clubs standing in the Championship wouldn't last forever, I can accept where we are now.

What I cannot accept, is the passion and grit that has been ripped away from it all. The entertainment that the current manager has drained from it, I don't like going to games anymore, I chose to do different things and I feel robbed of the club that I originally fell in love with. I don't really care if i've missed a 1-0 home win against Dover, the chances are I wouldn't had enjoyed it anyway! Then you come on here, you goad the fans who have stuck with this club through everything, you goad those fans who DARE to say they're sick of it. For a club who have fallen so far it's stunning that we're even this patient but I for one am totally sick of it now. I'm sick of going to a game, travelling 400 miles to get there and back, to see a toothless, heartless performance and then to top it all off, the manager comes on the radio and tells me it's my fault! It's my fault he's drained all the entertainment from the club i've supported for the majority of my life, it's my fault he sits back and plays shite, negative boring football week in week out. You and others at the club seem to think that we should just accept that? Who bloody cares if we 'got the result' when the fun isn't there anymore? Unless something changes we'll not have enough to get out of this league.

I have defended you for years, I dread to think where we'd be without you. But to blame the fans after the absolute shite you've overseen in the past 10 or so years is an absolute flipping insult to the time, effort, money and pain i've invested supporting the rubbish currently on show.

Well said.  

I think the rather shocking stat that somebody quoted the other day of 17 yrs(?) was it without a promotion says more than anything, you would have to be over 30 yrs to have clear memories of any kind of success so the club need to remember its not reactions after one or two home defeats its that culmination of years of failure that we, loyal supporters are frustrated with.

Back to the O.P ....probably for the best for GYFR to retire from Fishy life, a no doubt wholeheartedly genuine attempt to connect with supporters but badly backfired in the end.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 201
ginnywings
January 5, 2015, 9:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You earn respect, you don't pay for it. Look at the balance sheet. Enough said.

Exactly, respect is earned. If we had more Magnay's and less Arnold's, you would all get more respect.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 201
lew chaterleys lover
January 5, 2015, 9:07pm
Vodka Drinker

He  didn't do it out of the goodness of his heart. There was to be a new stadium, the sale of Blundell Park, prestige and money in the bank.

It went belly up though so he has had to stick with it in the hope of rescuing his losses.  
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 201
carrot top
January 5, 2015, 9:11pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from fleabag1970

errrrrrrrrrrrrr , I was in the " Family Stand "  for the Lincoln game , None of the " Family's "  could see the match because loads of fans without tickets for that area were let in and not removed by the Stewards .............................

Well Fleabag, that us the fault of the club. Vent your anger with the powers that be

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 201
fleabag1970
January 5, 2015, 9:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from carrot top

Well Fleabag, that us the fault of the club. Vent your anger with the powers that be

I Darnt !!!! I might get some more xxxxxxxxxxxx              Oh and what is " Good by "  Its Good Bye "  ..................................

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 201
carrot top
January 5, 2015, 9:17pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
Thanks for your contributions John. It was a brave step to put yourself in the firing line and not something many directors have attempted at other clubs so I applaud you for sticking your neck out and trying to get your view across this.way,

Let's hope we can back to winning ways again soon then it will be a quiet place again on the Fishy.

I realise you are probably saying 'quiet' tongue in cheek, but come on. Mr Fentys contribution on here lately is nothing short of insulting to many loyal fans.
Other Directors probably have more sense, but I'm afraid it looks like his ego gets the better of him

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 201
Mrs Doyle
January 5, 2015, 9:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quote:

"Like it or not, BP is hostile for the home-side according to some players."

WTF Those players should bloody prove them wrong then instead of whining that's a absolute pathetic statement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 201
fleabag1970
January 5, 2015, 9:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
It all makes Rob Scott seem quite normal really ..................................................................

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 201
carrot top
January 5, 2015, 9:25pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from fleabag1970

I Darnt !!!! I might get some more xxxxxxxxxxxx              Oh and what is " Good by "  Its Good Bye "  ..................................

Careful Fleabag, the PC brigade will be having you for criticising spelling and grammar

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 201
GrimRob
January 5, 2015, 9:33pm

Quoted from carrot top

I realise you are probably saying 'quiet' tongue in cheek, but come on. Mr Fentys contribution on here lately is nothing short of insulting to many loyal fans.
Other Directors probably have more sense, but I'm afraid it looks like his ego gets the better of him

Reading between the lines there have been some interesting observations in what he has said. Even in this final post most people have overlooked a key point. John speaks to the players none of us do, if some of them are saying the crowd are a problem for them, then shouldn't we stand up and take note? Rob Scott lost it with a supporter, PH has come close to snapping in some of his interviews, now JF has reached some final straw with the relentless criticism. What hope have we got if the people who actually run and play for the club are losing faith with the supporters?

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 36 - 201
Mrs Doyle
January 5, 2015, 9:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Well that's the sort of feelings you stoke up, maybe you should shut Blundell Park up to the Prolls and just offer it to "invited guests only" people who dare not voice any opposition to big brother and his friends. On a day a new signing comes to the club this from someone who should know better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 201
TAGG
January 5, 2015, 9:35pm

Vodka Drinker

Why?
"Kept the club going" Ye he has down and flipping down.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 201
LH
January 5, 2015, 9:38pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,495
Gold Stars: 173
half expecting Ched Evans to sign tomorrow to cover all this business up..
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 201
Rodley Mariner
January 5, 2015, 9:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Drunken ramblings then self-enforced exile? Getyourfactsright = BP Vicar II.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 201
MuddyWaters
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

Reading between the lines there have been some interesting observations in what he has said. Even in this final post most people have overlooked a key point. John speaks to the players none of us do, if some of them are saying the crowd are a problem for them, then shouldn't we stand up and take note? Rob Scott lost it with a supporter, PH has come close to snapping in some of his interviews, now JF has reached some final straw with the relentless criticism. What hope have we got if the people who actually run and play for the club are losing faith with the supporters?

So he talks to the players? Well Sherlock, he pays their wages through the money we put through the turnstiles! So he should tell them,when he grows a set, that the fans deserve respect, commitment and appropriate effort for their continued support in spite of the years of failure under his tenure.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 201
lee65
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
I cant truly believe that the actual John Fenty can't spell "Goodbye".
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 201
carrot top
January 5, 2015, 9:41pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

I have heard it all now. Losing faith in the supporters. If that us the case then maybe they should look elsewhere to ply their trade. It is the supporters who are reaching the final straw. Wake up!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 201
friskneymariner
January 5, 2015, 9:43pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Gets more like a Shakespearian tragedy everyday.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 201
lew chaterleys lover
January 5, 2015, 9:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

I didn't hear anyone complaining when we are out of our seats cheering our heads off or standing in our hundreds on a cold windswept non league ground hundreds of miles away.

I don't know what you are getting at. What other fans would remain loyal and in reasonable humour after what we have endured?

You should have seen the Luton forum before they got it together - it was xxx rated.

Private Message
Reply: 45 - 201
fleabag1970
Fine Wine Drinker
I think the Full time pro that said this should go get another job and play for Hyde

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 201
GrimRob

Quoted from carrot top

I have heard it all now. Losing faith in the supporters. If that us the case then maybe they should look elsewhere to ply their trade. It is the supporters who are reaching the final straw. Wake up!

If the manager, players and directors all look elsewhere then we'll be looking back on this as a glorious era.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 47 - 201
BIGChris
January 5, 2015, 9:48pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from GrimRob

I hope that non of our poor little players ever end up playing for Millwall or similar. They would then know a hostile home crowd!

I don't condone abuse of home players but when someone puts in the sort of half arsed performance like one in particular did in the 2nd half on NYD then i totally understand fans giving them some abuse.

Players have to realise that even at this level it isnt all 'unlucky chaps', What is demanded is heart on the sleeve effort. Give your all for every second you are on the pitch and the BP crowd will back the players to the hilt and make it an even more hostile environment, for the opposition!

No player will get any abuse if they are seen to be giving their very best ALL of the time

My view is that the decision to stop posting is totally the correct one in the best interests of JF and the professionalism of the club. I was always of the view that the director/major shareholder/ex chairman should never have even considered coming on an unofficial site in the first place but clearly others disagree.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 201
MuddyWaters
January 5, 2015, 9:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

I hope that non of our poor little players ever end up playing for Millwall or similar. They would then know a hostile home crowd!

I don't condone abuse of home players but when someone puts in the sort of half arsed performance like one in particular did in the 2nd half on NYD then i totally understand fans giving them some abuse.

Players have to realise that even at this level it isnt all 'unlucky chaps', What is demanded is heart on the sleeve effort. Give your all for every second you are on the pitch and the BP crowd will back the players to the hilt and make it an even more hostile environment, for the opposition!

No player will get any abuse if they are seen to be giving their very best ALL of the time

My view is that the decision to stop posting is totally the correct one in the best interests of JF and the professionalism of the club. I was always of the view that the director/major shareholder/ex chairman should never have even considered coming on an unofficial site in the first place but clearly others disagree.

Sensible stuff BC, but he decided to put his head over the parapet.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 201
realist
January 5, 2015, 9:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,684
Gold Stars: 41
I've seen it all now.
We all done the drunken post and made the embarrassing apology the next day, but to continue in the same vane and slag the fans off again is too much. Whilst you are leaving the forum, leave the club and take your clueless manager with you. Hopefully the players won't get too upset, the sensitive souls that they are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 201
fleabag1970
January 5, 2015, 9:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

If the manager, players and directors all look elsewhere then we'll be looking back on this as a glorious era.

There will always be a " Grimsby " with or with out them ....................  It will never be a Glorious era it is ashit state of affairs !!  I went to watch Clee and the football wasn't a lot different tbh .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 201
carrot top
January 5, 2015, 9:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

As I said earlier in the thread, they need to man up. The supporters, and there are still many of them even at this low level deserve better. All we ask is that the players put a proper shift in and that the Manager can get them in the right frame of mind to perform.
I'm sorry Rob but it is very boring watching Town at home on too many occasions

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 201
lew chaterleys lover
January 5, 2015, 9:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

You might be right, funnily enough.

But I bet there are managers, directors and players and new fans out there who would like a shot at reviving this great football club.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 201
chaos33
January 5, 2015, 9:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 357
I agree with you BC, and might I add what a tawdry f@cking mess this whole thing is. Pathetic. If Town would only stop being sh1t, then we could avoid all of these ugly and unnecessary conflagrations.

I will repeat something I have often said - Grimsby Town are very, very lucky to receive the level of support that they do. If it weren't for the perpetual failures and the insulting comments and lack of commitment, BP would be bustling and rocking. What angers and saddens me is that it is all there for the taking. If only we had people with real ability employed in key positions at the club, and were doing the business on the pitch then this would be some club to play for - going up and going places, instead of sinking like a f***ing stone and cutting our nose off to spite our face.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 201
lee65
January 5, 2015, 9:58pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

Sorry Rob, can't buy this.  I agree with the idea that we are in a good position in the Conference, but is that a great place to be?
The fighting between the fans, major shareholder, the way Paul acts in interviews (I have no personal gripe, but I think he puts a downer on things, even after a good result) all mean that I'm falling out of love with the whole thing.  I get more enjoyment from watching my sons Sunday League team these days.
Having said that, I'm trying to manufacture a reason to be in the Eastleigh area on the 27th  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 201
Marinerz93
January 5, 2015, 10:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Dear Fishes.

These are facts.

Best wishes John UTM

[IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/2e4w75l.gif[/IMG]

Always sorry to hear that fellow Mariners decide against posting.  The problem with posting on a forum is that you don't have the power to control what people think.  You have no comfort zone on here and people will generally tell you how it is, this has truly got under your skin.

You have goaded fans and laughed about it, or have you forgotten the thread that you and your executive chums watched with glee that went to over 2,000 hits.  You never did say who your 7 mathey Fenty bathers were did you but you always stated it when you wanted to score points.

More have stopped coming to BP because of the poor standard of football, and league we are in, let alone vile behaviour or swearing. Which. if you sit in the cheap seats at the majority of clubs in the league, fans slag players off, swear with some vile behaviour thrown in. The fans at Scunthorpe drove a player out at Glanford Park, the fans at Mansfield when they were relegated from the league attacked the Chairman. You have surrounded yourself with yes men that your view has become insular.

BP is a partisan crowd, only Sunday league players would say it is hostile.

I hope I haven't hurt your feelings.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 201
BIGChris
January 5, 2015, 10:00pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from lee65

Sorry Rob, can't buy this.  I agree with the idea that we are in a good position in the Conference, but is that a great place to be?
The fighting between the fans, major shareholder, the way Paul acts in interviews (I have no personal gripe, but I think he puts a downer on things, even after a good result) all mean that I'm falling out of love with the whole thing.  I get more enjoyment from watching my sons Sunday League team these days.
Having said that, I'm trying to manufacture a reason to be in the Eastleigh area on the 27th  

Yeah, you and me both!
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 201
barralad
January 5, 2015, 10:05pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from BIGChris

Yeah, you and me both!

I have a mate who is flying down from Aberdeen to Southampton to be there!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 201
chicaneuk
January 5, 2015, 10:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
Sorry to read that John. A rare opportunity for the fan base to make use of, which has now been lost. Real shame.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 201
gytone
January 5, 2015, 10:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,020
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from pontoonlew
John,

That post is from the heart and exactly how I feel, although I don't travel that far and live locally I've only been to 3 games this season, which for me is unheard of, i dont even listen to the radio anymore when we are away, partly because i cant be bothered to find it ! but I'm afraid I  can't take it,, unfortunately I will continue to pick and choose my games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 201
ivanosandwich
January 5, 2015, 10:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,470
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from BIGChris

Yeah, you and me both!

I'm planning on being there.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 201
lee65
January 5, 2015, 10:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Well looking at the map I think the ground is very close to the airport.  I'm looking at a hotel only 0.4mils from the ground
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 201
jonnyboy82
January 5, 2015, 10:11pm
Vodka Drinker
You know your club is as about as low as it can be when the chairman seemingly likes to randomly log on and blame us for being excrement..

then logs on and blames the hostile fans ..

repeat repeat then logs on blames the fans and does a flounce!

flipping priceless.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 201
realist
January 5, 2015, 10:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,684
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from gytone

That post is from the heart and exactly how I feel, although I don't travel that far and live locally I've only been to 3 games this season, which for me is unheard of, i dont even listen to the radio anymore when we are away, partly because i cant be bothered to find it ! but I'm afraid I  can't take it,, unfortunately I will continue to pick and choose my games.

You are right - post of the year for me. Sums it all up nicely
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 201
fleabag1970
January 5, 2015, 10:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from realist

You are right - post of the year for me. Sums it all up nicely

bang on the money , we are all slowly falling out of love with our club ........................................

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 201
ivanosandwich
January 5, 2015, 10:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from fleabag1970

bang on the money , we are all slowly falling out of love with our club ........................................

You speak for yourself....not all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 201
fleabag1970
January 5, 2015, 10:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ivanosandwich

Sorry ..............Most .  Although most of 3000  is not good which ever way you cook it up

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 201
barralad
January 5, 2015, 10:20pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from fleabag1970

I'd appreciate it if you didn't speak for me-drama prince!

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 201
petethemariner
January 5, 2015, 10:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Quoted from chaos33
I agree with you BC, and might I add what a tawdry f@cking mess this whole thing is. Pathetic. If Town would only stop being sh1t, then we could avoid all of these ugly and unnecessary conflagrations.

I will repeat something I have often said - Grimsby Town are very, very lucky to receive the level of support that they do. If it weren't for the perpetual failures and the insulting comments and lack of commitment, BP would be bustling and rocking. What angers and saddens me is that it is all there for the taking. If only we had people with real ability employed in key positions at the club, and were doing the business on the pitch then this would be some club to play for - going up and going places, instead of sinking like a f***ing stone and cutting our nose off to spite our face.

Totally agree Chaos, GTFC is still a great club, a club of status and one with a history to be proud of, that level of pride can be restored
quickly  with the right people in the key roles, but that situation seems a million miles away, if the club isn't allowed to self destruct
it will return, but not under this regimes turgid footbalI IMO
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 201
MuddyWaters
January 5, 2015, 10:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from fleabag1970

I'll never fall out of love with GTFC but I despair at the state it's in.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 201
fleabag1970
January 5, 2015, 10:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
I just said sorry

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 201
jonnyboy82
January 5, 2015, 10:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from fleabag1970
I just said sorry

you dont have to apologise..

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 201
Mrs Doyle
January 5, 2015, 10:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

fcing hell it's hardly the great Roman Empire someone send for Brutus, Hail Brutus!!

GTFC was a once proud club with good honest players who would run through brick walls. Fenty is only a custodian I have supported this club over 50 years long before he was here seen the highs and lows but none as bad as the last few years. I WILL NOT GROVEL to anyone if they feck off it's to their faIlings Rob NOT THE FANS.  Certainly not a few on here.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 201
chicaneuk
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from pontoonlew
John,

Unquestionably one of the best posts I've ever read on here! Well said.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 201
ivanosandwich
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from fleabag1970
I just said sorry

Yes and it was noted, cheers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 201
friskneymariner
January 5, 2015, 10:36pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from petethemariner

Totally agree Chaos, GTFC is still a great club, a club of status and one with a history to be proud of, that level of pride can be restored
quickly  with the right people in the key roles, but that situation seems a million miles away, if the club isn't allowed to self destruct
it will return, but not under this regimes turgid footbalI IMO

But before that can happen the people running it need to be able to develop some insight into the impact of their actions,do you think they have the ability to constructively reflect.I don't I consider that they have developed a siege mentality and this manifests itself in dogmatic defensive responses as we are currently witnessing.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 201
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 5, 2015, 10:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Does JF not see the contradiction here?

"Never once have I blamed the fans for anything.

Like it or not, BP is hostile for the home-side according to some players."

If that isn't blaming the fans I don't know what is.

The problem with him posting is that he chose the wrong name. Instead of GETYOURFACTSRIGHT it should have been ICANTFACETHEFACTS.

He has spent upwards of 10 years avoiding the issue that under his control the club has gone downhill at speed and has shown little sign of reversing the trend. I am sick and tired of the "let's accept we are in the Conference" and "automatic promotion is still possible" stuff. If the man was serious about improving things he would stop trying the run the club like his business and sit down with people who know how to plan football progress.

He would look back for guidance and see how Buckley made the marque signing of Garry Birtles when we were in the dumps and so inspired the crowd and players alike. He would storm into the manager's office and ask him why on earth he has wasted his money on yet another "promising" squad player. He would snap back at the sniping players and tell them that it was their job to build the support not the supporters and maybe they should start by buying a huge mirror for the dressing room wall.

He might think that leaving the Fishy as a poster is a good idea. Maybe it is. But it won't stop people who have supported the club through thick and thin and seen it suffer under his stewardship from reminding him of the facts even if he can't face them.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 201
Mariner16
January 5, 2015, 10:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Approval: +476
...but what about the orange?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 201
Badger57
January 5, 2015, 10:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from pontoonlew
John,

Post of the year!  Says everything a lot of us have been thinking for a good while.
Brilliant, well done mate!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 201
TAGG
January 5, 2015, 10:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Badger57

Post of the year!  Says everything a lot of us have been thinking for a good while.
Brilliant, well done mate!

Would get my vote  

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 201
lew chaterleys lover
January 5, 2015, 10:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Does JF not see the contradiction here?

"Never once have I blamed the fans for anything.

Like it or not, BP is hostile for the home-side according to some players."

If that isn't blaming the fans I don't know what is.

The problem with him posting is that he chose the wrong name. Instead of GETYOURFACTSRIGHT it should have been ICANTFACETHEFACTS.

He has spent upwards of 10 years avoiding the issue that under his control the club has gone downhill at speed and has shown little sign of reversing the trend. I am sick and tired of the "let's accept we are in the Conference" and "automatic promotion is still possible" stuff. If the man was serious about improving things he would stop trying the run the club like his business and sit down with people who know how to plan football progress.

He would look back for guidance and see how Buckley made the marque signing of Garry Birtles when we were in the dumps and so inspired the crowd and players alike. He would storm into the manager's office and ask him why on earth he has wasted his money on yet another "promising" squad player. He would snap back at the sniping players and tell them that it was their job to build the support not the supporters and maybe they should start by buying a huge mirror for the dressing room wall.

He might think that leaving the Fishy as a poster is a good idea. Maybe it is. But it won't stop people who have supported the club through thick and thin and seen it suffer under his stewardship from reminding him of the facts even if he can't face them.

I hope Getyourfactsright reads this post.

We need leadership on and off the pitch, no doubt about it.
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 201
forza ivano
January 5, 2015, 10:56pm

Exile
Don't suppose I will ever get my question re thermos flasks answered now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 201
ackomariner
January 5, 2015, 11:00pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
;
Quoted from forza ivano
Don't suppose I will ever get my question re thermos flasks answered now

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 201
moosey_club
January 5, 2015, 11:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Quoted from barralad

Driving all the way to Aberdeen just to fly to Southampton??  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 201
kevikov
January 5, 2015, 11:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Best thing you've decided to do since the idea of posting on here first flew into your head John. I don't think it was ever going to end well, I prefer my "major shareholders" not posting on a general forum and concentrating on the important running of the club business. Plus in my opinion, you're really not that good with the whole PR thing, Disaster waiting to happen and the almost incredible ability to say the wrong thing at the worst time. As someone else said earlier, leave the PR to those that are paid to do it. Fair play for trying if that is what you wanted but not for me. Now go tell whichever cry baby it was in the dressing room to man up, play with a bit of pride and drive some passion into him. Show us you care and we'll show you we do too. UTM.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 201
LongEatonMariner
January 5, 2015, 11:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Quoted from ivanosandwich

The new latest post of the year (in my opinion but I'm not forcing anyone else to agree with how I think)!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 201
louth_in_the_south
January 6, 2015, 12:41am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,671
Gold Stars: 94
Some players find it  hostile ?! Boo blo.ody hoo the poor little wall flowers . Fook off back to where you came from playing in front of 1000 fans or whatever . Don't waste our time . Let's sign some players who don't roll over when the going gets tough or well be down here forever

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 201
jaymariner
January 6, 2015, 7:43am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +406
I have never been PH's biggest fan but I have been happy to give him a chance but I have had enough of his negative attitude, tactics and preparation. He has single handedly taken the fight and battle out of the players and the club IMO. Yes we have probably our best squad ability wise since we came down to the conference but something is going wrong somewhere to turn them into a downtrodden looking bunch of players and to blame the fans for this is completely wrong
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 201
1mickylyons
January 6, 2015, 7:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
So Jan 6th and were at this stage are we?

Dear John,

Just concentrate on the job in hand ie securing promotion if the little darlings Mr Hurst have signed don't like playing at BP then tell them to fook off and the same to Mr Hurst with little bells on.I have seen some rubbish over the years but any negativity associated with BP at present I would boldly suggest you look at the teams Manager rather than the fans because that is the problem.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 201
fleabag1970
January 6, 2015, 7:51am
Fine Wine Drinker
Now I know GetYourFactsRight  will be reading all these otherwise he would have just slipped away quietly .................. Here are some loose  "facts" for you

The Fans/Customers of your Club Should never be held to blame and even you think it don't tell them

The Club has never been so boring to watch , even when they win it aint that good IMO

You should speak to the Eastleigh Chairman and see how he does it on a much smaller budget.

Your Dwindling fan base is doing just that ................

Your Manager doesn't know how to set up an exciting winning team at home

Your players you Pay are not giving 100% , you have to ask your self how Brown, Clay , Hannah , Arnold , Nielson .........etc etc go from being 100% players to  errrrrrrrr well a lot less than that ?

Get Some Help ................ the Fans are your Friend not your enemy .............. The ones that are left must be Pro You otherwise they wouldn't suffer the dross served up every week .

Your Players arnt giving 100%

Your Players arnt giving 100%

Your Players ar...........................................................................Repeat to fade

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 201
chaos33
January 6, 2015, 8:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
I suspect that Eastleigh's budget is as big as ours this year.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 201
Rick12
January 6, 2015, 8:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Sorry to see you go John.Liked you as a person        all the best Rick

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 201
LongEatonMariner
January 6, 2015, 9:05am
Fine Wine Drinker
Dear Fishes.

These are facts.

Best wishes John UTM

I think it's a shame you won't be posting on here anymore. I have appreciated your efforts to explain certain things to the fans on here, even if sometimes it hadn't all gone according to plan!

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 201
Maringer
January 6, 2015, 9:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,475
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from chaos33
I suspect that Eastleigh's budget is as big as ours this year.

Eastleigh are one of the biggest spenders in the division, I understand, so they are probably paying out even more than us!

This is the biggest surprise to me since our relegation into the Conference, the sheer number of clubs who were traditionally 'minnows' (though often well-established in non-league) but have found sugar daddies to bankroll them and often help them spend their way to promotion.

Crawley, Fleetwood, Newport, FGR, Eastleigh would normally never be considered contenders but the first three have won promotion very effectively. Hopefully, the other two won't succeed before we manage to get back into the League! Gateshead are having a good bit of money spent on them as well, I believe?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 201
dapperz fun pub
January 6, 2015, 9:53am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,926
Gold Stars: 82
If certain player's are saying bp is hostile that tells me there not up for the fight as for being negative ive watched footy from Carlisle to Portsmouth and our crowd is no different to anywhere else.I had the odd pint with lee peacock in the pub and he always said what a good crowd we had considering the position we are in,so I say to the players who dont like my cathedral to do one.
Clearly fenty being on the fishy was never going to work but lets hope the forum keeps its freedom of speech element
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 201
diehardmariner
January 6, 2015, 10:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,530
Gold Stars: 536
Somebody look at me, please!

PURRRLLLLLEEAAASSSSEEEEEE!!
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 201
Garth
January 6, 2015, 10:34am

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
So certain player/players find it all a bit intimidating here at the Park, well man up or pack up its no place  and has never been a place for wimps, if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 201
Maringer
January 6, 2015, 10:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,475
Gold Stars: 185
I keep waiting for the theme music to start. This is a soap opera, isn't it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 201
ginnywings
January 6, 2015, 11:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Maringer
I keep waiting for the theme music to start. This is a soap opera, isn't it?

More Emmerdale circa the 1980's than Eastenders.

Boring and full of sheep.

That's not the fans i might add.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 201
ackomariner
January 6, 2015, 11:35am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

More Emmerdale circa the 1980's than Eastenders.

Boring and full of sheep.

That's not the fans i might add.

Don't know it could be eastenders.

Jf thinking he was Phil Mitchell but turned out to be billy   and doing a runner from our manor   ;

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 201
grimsby pete
January 6, 2015, 11:47am

Exile
I do find that the players who think the crowd are hostile to them a little disturbing,

All the years I have followed the town I have always found the home crowd to be fair not only to our players but to the away players as well,

If they see a bit of skill they will applaud whoever that player is playing for,

If they see 100% effort they will applaud even if that player is not so skilful,

What they do not like to see is players not giving their all,

If the crowd turn a little hostile to that player it is nobodies fault but the player,

Put the effort in and you will have the crowd behind you,

I think we have 2 or 3 players that are lucky to be at our great club,

They should remember that and start giving a dam.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 201
KK_DOG
January 6, 2015, 11:48am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
I think John has a point about certain players. He is probably referring to LJL, he took some terrible abuse earlier in the season from certain so called fans both on here and at Blundell Park. You only have to look at this thread as well to see what abuse John is getting from some not all. Constructive criticism is ok, but often it's gone beyond that. Shame he's gone from here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 201
TownSNAFU5
January 6, 2015, 12:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,874
Gold Stars: 42
I do not think that it is a good idea for JF to come a fans forum.  Like the queen,  there is a need for those in power to keep their distance from the masses. Others clubs do not do this.   A fans forum is ok.  It was only going to end badly.

If some players are frightened then they need to toughen up.  Going to the Den in the 60s and 70s was tough.

We need to fight for promotion and maybe some of our players do not the right qualities to do this when the chips are down.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 201
LongEatonMariner
January 6, 2015, 12:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from KK_DOG
I think John has a point about certain players. He is probably referring to LJL, he took some terrible abuse earlier in the season from certain so called fans both on here and at Blundell Park. You only have to look at this thread as well to see what abuse John is getting from some not all. Constructive criticism is ok, but often it's gone beyond that. Shame he's gone from here.

I agree. Post of the minute.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 201
mike_d
January 6, 2015, 1:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Approval: +390
Quoted from lee65
I cant truly believe that the actual John Fenty can't spell "Goodbye".

Good-by is an acceptable variant. The only thing that you can say about GYFR's usage is that he's missed out the hypen.

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 201
Garth
January 6, 2015, 2:58pm

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Cheers John.. you tried and it was a good idea or so it seemed at the time but it can be a bear pit on here sometimes, and not really the place for yourself as senior director of the club to air your grievances. IMO you were only on a loser

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 201
kingster72
January 6, 2015, 4:06pm

Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -7
Quoted from pontoonlew
John,

This is one of the best post's ever on this site.  Completely sums up the last 10 years and how this appalling director / chairman has failed the club and its fans.  If Fenty was a fan, he would admit he has failed, write off all debt and walk away to let someone with an ounce of sense take the club forward.  The fact that he still thinks Private Negative is the man to win promotion, shows how deluded he is, slinging insults at fans, everyone should boycott!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 201
MuddyWaters
January 6, 2015, 4:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from kingster72

This is one of the best post's ever on this site.  Completely sums up the last 10 years and how this appalling director / chairman has failed the club and its fans.  If Fenty was a fan, he would admit he has failed, write off all debt and walk away to let someone with an ounce of sense take the club forward.  The fact that he still thinks Private Negative is the man to win promotion, shows how deluded he is, slinging insults at fans, everyone should boycott!

Can't accept appalling - he has clearly tried (but failed) to do his best for the club and, as a fan, it must hurt like hell to see where the club stands at present.

Personally, I would like to see some humility, maybe an acceptance that it has gone wrong under his leadership. Maybe he should provide a clear, unequivocal statement of what he means by benign. Are these loans preventing others from coming to take over? I guess we'll never know.

What he must now accept is that he has lost the trust of many fans - even some who have been supportive in the past realise that he has overstepped the mark by criticising the very people who have kept his club, no, our club, afloat. I guess many watched AFC Wimbledon last night and were reminiscing of nights like that at BP where we had the place rocking and I wonder whether we'll ever see that again.

I pray we do but fear we won't.
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 201
fleabag1970
January 6, 2015, 5:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
It's not " Our " club ...........It is his !!  To do with what he wants . When AFC Grimsby start up then it will be OUR club

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 201
mariner91
January 6, 2015, 5:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,606
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from fleabag1970
It's not " Our " club ...........It is his !!  To do with what he wants . When AFC Grimsby start up then it will be OUR club

Clubs belong to no individual, they belong to the fans. Without the fans a club is nothing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 201
barralad
January 6, 2015, 5:50pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Can't accept appalling - he has clearly tried (but failed) to do his best for the club and, as a fan, it must hurt like hell to see where the club stands at present.

Personally, I would like to see some humility, maybe an acceptance that it has gone wrong under his leadership. Maybe he should provide a clear, unequivocal statement of what he means by benign. Are these loans preventing others from coming to take over? I guess we'll never know.

What he must now accept is that he has lost the trust of many fans - even some who have been supportive in the past realise that he has overstepped the mark by criticising the very people who have kept his club, no, our club, afloat. I guess many watched AFC Wimbledon last night and were reminiscing of nights like that at BP where we had the place rocking and I wonder whether we'll ever see that again.

I pray we do but fear we won't.

Well we agree on some things...I'd say fans of Darlington, Hereford etc. have a much better understanding of the word appalling                

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 201
barralad
January 6, 2015, 5:52pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from fleabag1970

Be careful what you wish for....

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 201
grimsby pete
January 6, 2015, 6:18pm

Exile
Quoted from mariner tommy
Thias is ridiculous, If "get your facts right" is John Fenty them I'm a dutchman.

Has anybody thought why he would choose a pseudonym like that and post on The Fishy ?

And do you think he would really address this post using all capital letters for each word, and then spelling "goodbye" as "Good By"

If people believe that then they will believe anything.

UTM

Sorry Tom but he is John Fenty,

Grim Rob has confirmed that John joined the fishy under that name,

Also I have spoken to John about the fishy at a couple of away games,.

John like me is a little dyslextic so his spelling and grammar  like mine is not always right.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 201
MuddyWaters
January 6, 2015, 6:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Thias is ridiculous, If "get your facts right" is John Fenty then I'm a dutchman.

UTM

Alright Ruud?
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 201
lew chaterleys lover
January 6, 2015, 7:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Well we agree on some things...I'd say fans of Darlington, Hereford etc. have a much better understanding of the word appalling                

And I would say the fans of Rotherham, Doncaster, Swansea, Bournemouth, Chesterfield, Fleetwood, Crawley, etc. have a much better understanding of the word "progress"
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 201
headingly_mariner
January 6, 2015, 7:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
This is ridiculous, If "get your facts right" is John Fenty then I'm a dutchman.

Has anybody thought why he would choose a pseudonym like that and post on The Fishy ?

And do you think he would really address this post using all capital letters for each word, and then spelling "goodbye" as "Good By"

If people believe that then they will believe anything.

UTM

I'd like it not to be!!!
My worry is about the decisions made at the club over the last 10+ years, you have to wonder what sort of quality debate went into making them. Criticism is a powerful tool to improve things that have not gone quite to plan.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 201
headingly_mariner
January 6, 2015, 7:12pm

Vodka Drinker

And I would say the fans of Rotherham, Doncaster, Swansea, Bournemouth, Chesterfield, Fleetwood, Crawley, etc. have a much better understanding of the word "progress"

Add in Phoenix clubs like Wimbledon and halifax, they have managed to start again and still be at the same or a higher level than us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 201
jock dock tower
January 6, 2015, 7:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
I mentioned on here a number of years ago that the way forward would be fan ownership.

We now have representation of fans on the board by the Trust, so here's a question for you John. If you really passionately believe in the club why don't you forego your loans that you've made to the club and help the fans set up a body that can take over the club by having 51% of the shares, and starting from a sound financial basis?

You're a businessman, and if this was a business you'd have either got rid of it long time since, or restructured it from top to bottom to help sustain it. We could even make you a life president in recognition of your services to the club.

You could even go in the Main Stand at games and eff and blind at the players to your heart's content.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 201
MuddyWaters
January 6, 2015, 7:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jock dock tower
We could even make you a life president in recognition of your services to the club.

You could even go in the Main Stand at games and eff and blind at the players to your heart's content.

That's stretching it a bit!  
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 201
fleabag1970
January 6, 2015, 7:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Clubs belong to no individual, they belong to the fans. Without the fans a club is nothing.

Do cricket fans own their club ? Do rugby fans own Their club ??  Just because you shop at Tesco does that mean you own them too ??

He Owns it , lock stock and barrel   !!!!  Along with whoever else has money tied up in the club !

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 201
BIGChris
January 6, 2015, 8:10pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from fleabag1970

Do cricket fans own their club ? Do rugby fans own Their club ??  Just because you shop at Tesco does that mean you own them too ??

He Owns it , lock stock and barrel   !!!!  Along with whoever else has money tied up in the club !

Like errr, the fans?
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 201
fleabag1970
January 6, 2015, 8:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Ok Ok  ask Mike Ashley or Daniel Levy who owns the Clubs ???

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 201
fleabag1970
January 6, 2015, 8:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

Like errr, the fans?

So you own Tesco / Asda etc ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 201
ginnywings
January 6, 2015, 8:25pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Find yourself a dictionary and look up the word custodian.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 201
BIGChris
January 6, 2015, 8:26pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from fleabag1970

Who do you think own the shares in the football club?

I can tell you it isnt institutional investors!!!

John Fenty owns approximately 47% of the shares, the rest are owned by others including me, my son & brother together with 1000's of other fans.

What the f&*k Tesco has to do with i dont know but in view of their recent drop in share price may be worth investing in for the medium term!!
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 201
fleabag1970
January 6, 2015, 8:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Custodian ? only ever heard that in Grimsby .... Is Mike Ashley a Custodian ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 201
woodi147
January 6, 2015, 8:37pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +29
And most of you call your self supporters? Hang your heads in shame.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 201
January 6, 2015, 8:42pm
Guest User
Quoted from woodi147
And most of you call your self supporters? Hang your heads in shame.

Reply: 128 - 201
RonMariner
January 6, 2015, 8:43pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,655
I do hold my head in shame.

Shame that a small unfashionable town like Scunthorpe, with a tiny fan base, can produce teams that have been several divisions above us for the past decade.

Shame that, even with our fan base, we still can't escape this tin pot league.

Shame that we are rotting in non league football.

Shame that we lose to teams that I hadn't even heard of until the current regime brought us here.

Yes I am ashamed.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 201
Bradford Mariner
January 6, 2015, 8:45pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +88
Quoted from pontoonlew
John,

What a great post. Sadly it sums up the feelings of many fans I speak to.

If JF chooses to ignore these sentiments he's not living in the real world.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 201
fleabag1970
January 6, 2015, 8:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
You wouldn't think JF would have done all this mess by himself ...........after all he doesn't own the club so why is it just down to Him ?  The other 1000's of Co Owners should have done something

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 201
fleabag1970
January 6, 2015, 8:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Oh hang on ............. None of the 1000's want to get their hands dirty , just Key board warriors !  Could it be that Mr F was right all along ??  Fans ehhh who'd have em

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 201
Jaws
January 6, 2015, 9:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
I think everyone concerned with the club needs to grow a pair, knuckle down and show everyone what we all know they are capable of.

I think the main discontent amongst the fans is simply that we're performing nowhere near our potential.

Our form has been indifferent, we have destroyed teams without breaking a sweat but then seemingly not turned up against some teams who are nothing more than a joke.

No-one ever gets anywhere through b*tching and moaning, only one way to win the support back and it's by giving us 3 points and exicitng football.

Despite it's success this site does not represent the full fan-base, nor does the booing at full-time. If we have lost to a team no-one is going to cheer, any booing will always drown out any other response.
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 201
mariner91
January 6, 2015, 10:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,606
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from fleabag1970

Like myself then as my Dad bought me some shares in the club when I was a kid?

And what would happen to this club that Mr Fenty supposedly owns if everyone suddenly decided to stop going? How long do you think it would last then? The fans are the lifeblood of any club. Without them, it does not exist.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 201
gaz57
January 6, 2015, 10:13pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Quoted from pontoonlew
John,

Well said it's a shame the person who needed to read what you put probably didn't see it. I would be interested to know if he had his say and never bothered to read the reaction from the fans of our great club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 201
dapperz fun pub
January 6, 2015, 10:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from gaz57

Well said it's a shame the person who needed to read what you put probably didn't see it. I would be interested to know if he had his say and never bothered to read the reaction from the fans of our great club.

I'd wager hes had a look on here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 201
ackomariner
January 6, 2015, 10:40pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from fleabag1970
Oh hang on ............. None of the 1000's want to get their hands dirty , just Key board warriors !  Could it be that Mr F was right all along ??  Fans ehhh who'd have em

Give your head a wobble

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 201
Fcukthescunts
January 6, 2015, 10:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
I think it was a very good idea for John to come on this site unfortunately a few misguided posts and also him raising to the bait turned it all sour.

I do think we need to all get behind the players and hope we can get recent results improved and quickly. I really would like Hurst to 'go for it' on Saturday put out an attack minded team and those players to give a 100%. I would much rather see a 4-3 loss giving it a good go than losing 1-0 in a whimper.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 201
dapperz fun pub
January 6, 2015, 10:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Fcukthescunts
I think it was a very good idea for John to come on this site unfortunately a few misguided posts and also him raising to the bait turned it all sour.

I do think we need to all get behind the players and hope we can get recent results improved and quickly. I really would like Hurst to 'go for it' on Saturday put out an attack minded team and those players to give a 100%. I would much rather see a 4-3 loss giving it a good go than losing 1-0 in a whimper.

UTM

I'd like him to be more positive as well but I don't think its in his nature he strikes me as a guy who over thinks things and then reverts to caution
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 201
SpudUDontLike
January 6, 2015, 11:06pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +309
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Fcukthescunts

UTM

I'm not John Fenty re-registering under a new name to avoid further embarrassment, but if I was I would no doubt be wholeheartedly agreeing that results need to improve, Hurst should go for it, and the players should give 100%.

We are destined to a fool's fate that deserves to be mocked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 201
forza ivano
January 6, 2015, 11:14pm

Exile
Quoted from SpudUDontLike

I'm not John Fenty re-registering under a new name to avoid further embarrassment, but if I was I would no doubt be wholeheartedly agreeing that results need to improve, Hurst should go for it, and the players should give 100%.

Welcome back john
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 201
SpudUDontLike
January 6, 2015, 11:43pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +309
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from forza ivano

Welcome back john

Curses. I should've known I'd never sneak that past you lot.

We are destined to a fool's fate that deserves to be mocked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 201
newfootballer
January 7, 2015, 11:53am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
Quoted from GrimRob

What you have said regarding what John Fenty has maybe picked up maybe from the players regarding the home crowd attitude to the players is really a key point.

If John feels he has got to make a plea to the home supporters, well so be it, yes we have had two disappointing Xmas home games but we are still in with a genuine chance to push our mighty Mariners up for better results in the new year.

I personally feel that now we are coming up to the last third of this season, and we have got remarkable supporters especially away fans this is where we need really good support at Blundell Park.

I use to look forward to every home game in my career at Blundel Park, the fans were that brilliant behind us.
So lets get behind the lads once again for the final push to get out of this horrible league.
Dave Boylen

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 201
fleabag1970
January 7, 2015, 12:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Blackpool owner Owen Oyston   , thinks he owns the club ..........................and is suing a fan  ( a co- owner) .......................................

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 201
nightrider
January 7, 2015, 12:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Whats the man supposed to do - Were 4th, he isn't going to sack him and risk a chance in the playoffs.
If a new man comes in, he isn't going to magically win us the league is he. In fact, he might do worse.
Sit tight for six months. Paul Hurst will definitely be sacked if we don't go up via the playoffs. If anything, other than having to watch them (which like me, you don't have to do) ,you can't lose. We get promoted, everybody is happy. We don't get promoted, he leaves and everybody is happy

Mind you, I think I predicted he'd definitely be gone last season if we failed.....

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 201
promotion plaice
January 7, 2015, 12:29pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,040
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from fleabag1970
Blackpool owner Owen Oyston   , thinks he owns the club ..........................and is suing a fan  ( a co- owner) .......................................

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/spo.....d-Oyston-family.html

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 201
fleabag1970
January 7, 2015, 12:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
After having some " Debate" with some of you guys on here . iam now in the JF camp ..................

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 201
RoboCod
January 7, 2015, 12:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from fleabag1970
After having some " Debate" with some of you guys on here . iam now in the JF camp ..................

Great.
I'm in no camp, I'm just utterly bewildered as to how suddenly the struggle of the club has been passed to the negativity of the home fans. Is this blame retrospective? Have the home fans been a bit grumpy for the past 10 years? Because I remember them turning out in great force in that period of time in an effort to stop us sinking from THREE League divisions.
And maybe the AWAY fans were a bit mardy on THAT day in Burton and should take the blame for a change, when the GTFC players AGAIN failed to put in anything like the level of commitment required and crashed us out of the League?

I'd better stay away, I'm in no mood to happily clap the same old error-ridden attempts at football, I'll come back to BP and be positive when these LONG TERM problems have been addressed.

Keep me updated on important stuff such as WHEN WE HAVE GOT THE HANG OF TAKING F*****G CORNERS

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 201
ginnywings
January 7, 2015, 12:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from fleabag1970

That'll be a fun Christmas party.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 201
MuddyWaters
January 7, 2015, 3:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RoboCod

Great.
I'm in no camp, I'm just utterly bewildered as to how suddenly the struggle of the club has been passed to the negativity of the home fans. Is this blame retrospective? Have the home fans been a bit grumpy for the past 10 years? Because I remember them turning out in great force in that period of time in an effort to stop us sinking from THREE League divisions.
And maybe the AWAY fans were a bit mardy on THAT day in Burton and should take the blame for a change, when the GTFC players AGAIN failed to put in anything like the level of commitment required and crashed us out of the League?

I'd better stay away, I'm in no mood to happily clap the same old error-ridden attempts at football, I'll come back to BP and be positive when these LONG TERM problems have been addressed.

Keep me updated on important stuff such as WHEN WE HAVE GOT THE HANG OF TAKING F*****G CORNERS

Can I copy and paste please? This is about where I am.
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 201
Marinerz93
January 7, 2015, 4:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from newfootballer

I use to look forward to every home game in my career at Blundel Park, the fans were that brilliant behind us.
So lets get behind the lads once again for the final push to get out of this horrible league.
Dave Boylen

Before we crashed out of the league I asked you to go and speak to the players and tell them what staying in the league meant to us.  Sadly that fell on their deaf ears at the time.

I ask again, to go and have a meeting with the players Dave and tell them about your time at the club, explain to them how to win us over if they feel we are against them.  We have had a decade of players going through the motions and if you are honest in your review of past games some players are guilty of this.  The fans are desperate to get on side, it's down to the players.  If after your speech the players aren't motivated than no blame can ever be laid at the fans feet.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 201
MuddyWaters
January 7, 2015, 4:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from newfootballer

What you have said regarding what John Fenty has maybe picked up maybe from the players regarding the home crowd attitude to the players is really a key point.

If John feels he has got to make a plea to the home supporters, well so be it, yes we have had two disappointing Xmas home games but we are still in with a genuine chance to push our mighty Mariners up for better results in the new year.

I personally feel that now we are coming up to the last third of this season, and we have got remarkable supporters especially away fans this is where we need really good support at Blundell Park.

Dave Boylen

There's no emotional connection any more, Dave. I know you aren't originally from the town but you lived here and knew how much the club means to us. The current squad might come here in July, never live in the town and leave again in May. How can they be expected to understand the pride and passion that many of the fans have - I'm afraid that for many players who've been here in the past 10 years, we're just another pay cheque - that said, I'd love to be proved wrong.
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 201
Mrs Doyle
January 7, 2015, 5:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
I'm not in anybody's camp we should NOT be dividing the club like this it's suicide, your never going to please everyone certain players will always get moaned at always have done it is nothing new. Bobby Mitchell use to get annihilated by some fans I still remember that from years ago.

I hope the players look at this and think right i show the ba******ds and put in a shift Hurst might not kick behind and be satisfied with mediocrity but it's clear a lot of fans are not so forgiving we are use to battlers at this club always have been.      
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 201
Cod Cheeks
January 7, 2015, 8:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
This is so sad.... John, you have fallen out with everyone throughout your 10 years in charge including radio Humberside (like him or loathe him, Dave Burns genuinely believes you are solely responsible for our plight), The Grimsby Telegraph and now the fans themselves.
You are unable to take any kind of difference of opinion, which has cost/is costing us dearly.
What a great partnership you and Mike Parker could have made but you couldn't take it.
For whatever reason, you keep a stranglehold on the control of the club, which I believe has been putting off other potential partners (big or small) and I know several.
I have always backed you but I am beginning to doubt your motives.
I will never, ever boo or abuse a player in a town shirt but to watch some of them just go through the motions, Arnold last game for example, is soul draining. Shake them up, not us, we will be there long after they've gone (I hope)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 201
jonnyboy82
January 7, 2015, 8:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
This is so sad.... John, you have fallen out with everyone throughout your 10 years in charge including radio Humberside (like him or loathe him, Dave Burns genuinely believes you are solely responsible for our plight), The Grimsby Telegraph and now the fans themselves.
You are unable to take any kind of difference of opinion, which has cost/is costing us dearly.
What a great partnership you and Mike Parker could have made but you couldn't take it.
For whatever reason, you keep a stranglehold on the control of the club, which I believe has been putting off other potential partners (big or small) and I know several.
I will never, ever boo or abuse a player in a town shirt but to watch some of them just go through the motions, Arnold last game for example, is soul draining. Shake them up, not us, we will be there long after they've gone (I hope)

Its mike parkers fault he left .

Its david burns fault we fell out with bbc humberside.

Its ITV digitals fault we got relegated time and time again.

Its the fans fault we are still shite.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 201
chaos33
January 7, 2015, 9:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RoboCod

Great.

Really good post mate.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 201
fleabag1970
January 8, 2015, 1:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Who owns Chelsea?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 201
supertown
January 8, 2015, 1:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,437
Gold Stars: 53
Good By My Fishy Friends

Sorry to be pedantic but its goodbye.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 201
fleabag1970
January 8, 2015, 1:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Not another one ................

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 201
mike_d
January 8, 2015, 2:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Approval: +390
Quoted from supertown
Good By My Fishy Friends

Sorry to be pedantic but its goodbye.

I'd check your facts. Good-by is an acceptable alternative - the only thing he's potentially guilty of there is forgetting a hyphen. Not sure if that is acceptable.

[url]http://www.thefreedictionary.com/good-by[/url]

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 201
Biccys
January 9, 2015, 12:10pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Cod Cheeks

Hard to argue with anything here.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 161 - 201
lew chaterleys lover
January 9, 2015, 12:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Cod Cheeks

I agree with all of this and I think it is obvious an enormous ego is not matched with enormous ability to run a football club.

The stranglehold he has at the club permeates through everything unfortunately, and any potential investors (and yes they are out there) will wait till he finally admits defeat and / or gets his benign loans back.

Sometimes, even with the best will in the world, things just don't work out.
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 201
dapperz fun pub
January 9, 2015, 12:49pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Biccys

Hard to argue with anything here.

absolutely but say fenty reads this and other posts and thinks im off ive had enough off this, which in all honesty looks the case anyway how would the club survive? is there people locally who could take us on ?
my question is based on him not wanting anything money wise,just wants out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 201
headingly_mariner
January 9, 2015, 12:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

absolutely but say fenty reads this and other posts and thinks im off ive had enough off this, which in all honesty looks the case anyway how would the club survive? is there people locally who could take us on ?
my question is based on him not wanting anything money wise,just wants out.

I think that depends on whether the loans are written off or not. While they hang over the club nobody will take it on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 201
dapperz fun pub
January 9, 2015, 12:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I think that depends on whether the loans are written off or not. While they hang over the club nobody will take it on.

say he says fook the loans im off........i realise unlikely
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 201
BIGChris
January 9, 2015, 1:09pm
Season Ticket Holder
From previous conversations i think JF would seriously consider stepping aside for a fraction of the money he is owed BUT subject to him being satisfied that the people taking over have the ability to take the club forward. If he felt the motives were suspect then there is no way he would hand over the club
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 201
dapperz fun pub
January 9, 2015, 1:46pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris
From previous conversations i think JF would seriously consider stepping aside for a fraction of the money he is owed BUT subject to him being satisfied that the people taking over have the ability to take the club forward. If he felt the motives were suspect then there is no way he would hand over the club

Cheers Chris.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 201
MuddyWaters
January 9, 2015, 2:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

Thanks for the insight BC. Still worries me that a half (as a fraction) of the loan is still a big price tag for the privilege of taking over a non-league club with a largely out-of-date stadium in a largely poor area of the country.

I really hope that we can find a team that will take us out of this league and give us some positive momentum - this would in turn provide a justification for a new stadium which, ultimately, could re-ignite the club's finances.
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 201
headingly_mariner
January 9, 2015, 3:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

I think that the size of that fraction is they key issue for anyone who will want to take the club over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 201
headingly_mariner
January 9, 2015, 3:50pm

Vodka Drinker

say he says fook the loans im off........i realise unlikely

I'm sure that there are people who would take the club on if that where the case.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 201
OneLove
January 9, 2015, 4:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +731
On a serious note fenty, can you not see why the home crowd is hostile? The only time Ive seen town actually play as a team was in the fa cup last season, other than that, not really played many teams off the park and why....because we haven't got the manager to do so, to spear them on, to get under there skin when its not happening on the pitch, to not have issues with fans, you know this is were it all lies, and all you do is fall out with everyone. The club will never ever go anywhere Im afraid while your doing the picking and choosing, but heres a thought, look where we could of been if you didn't fall out with mike parker eh?

Long live the club thats loved, its not the fans issues its the clubs and the little hitlers involved with it!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 201
MuddyWaters
January 9, 2015, 4:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Hindsight being the wonderful thing that it is, I wonder what would have happened if the Mariners Trust hadn't gifted those shares?
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 201
dapperz fun pub
January 9, 2015, 5:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Hindsight being the wonderful thing that it is, I wonder what would have happened if the Mariners Trust hadn't gifted those shares?

How many shares do the trust still have ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 201
dapperz fun pub
January 9, 2015, 5:24pm
Special Brew Drinker

I'm sure that there are people who would take the club on if that where the case.

I can't think of any tbh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 201
Nelly GTFC
January 9, 2015, 5:42pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I seem to remember their was an ultimatum, "do this, do that, or else no more money being put in?"  Because they wanted over all control of the actual club.  Am I right?

Then  their was a vote, and it was decided to give the shares away to someone, so that everything could carry on as previously, and what is already in place.

Being careful with my wording, don't want the risk of my bottom being sued to kingdom come.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 201
Teestogreen
January 9, 2015, 6:16pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 22
Dear Fishes.

These are facts.

Best wishes John UTM

I think John is right not to post on this forum (and I understand he won't read this), but I think he should still visit the site. Unfortunately, there will, always be an 'ouch' when he does read some of the comments, but there are a lot of very good posters on here, that I believe are close to the belief of GTFC supporters in general, in terms of how to progress upwards.

I hope he can form a group of directors representative of Grimsby Town Fans and allow them in, to contribute to the club's  future. Otherwise, it appears to be one man in control, and he is a human being. Positive change has to be at the top, in this case, before we will see real positive direction in the future at the other lower levels within the club.

With a bit of luck, I'm totally wrong, and we re-admit the Football League this year.

Good luck to Paul Hurst and the team.

UTM

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 201
BIGChris
January 9, 2015, 6:27pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Teestogreen

I think John is right not to post on this forum (and I understand he won't read this), but I think he should still visit the site. Unfortunately, there will, always be an 'ouch' when he does read some of the comments, but there are a lot of very good posters on here, that I believe are close to the belief of GTFC supporters in general, in terms of how to progress upwards.

I hope he can form a group of directors representative of Grimsby Town Fans and allow them in, to contribute to the club's  future. Otherwise, it appears to be one man in control, and he is a human being. Positive change has to be at the top, in this case, before we will see real positive direction in the future at the other lower levels within the club.

With a bit of luck, I'm totally wrong, and we re-admit the Football League this year.

Good luck to Paul Hurst and the team.

UTM

Like a supporters Trust perhaps?
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 201
Teestogreen
January 9, 2015, 6:55pm

Champagne Drinker
Big tick for you Chris - I read you were embarrassed by John's outburst (if I interpret correctly). There must be a lot of pressure at the top of GTFC (much of it self inflicted). Our leader must engage properly with intelligent GTFC people to share the load - i.m.o.  

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 201
KingstonMariner
January 9, 2015, 9:54pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
I seem to remember their was an ultimatum, "do this, do that, or else no more money being put in?"  Because they wanted over all control of the actual club.  Am I right?

Then  their was a vote, and it was decided to give the shares away to someone, so that everything could carry on as previously, and what is already in place.

Being careful with my wording, don't want the risk of my bottom being sued to kingdom come.

Just to clarify (at least how I remember it):
Mike Parker gifted the Trust 500,000 shares (face value £500,000) which made them the major shareholder.
The Trust were not represented on the Club Board. John Fenty said he couldn't continue to support the club when control rested outside the boardroom.
The Trust board thought about it and decided to put it to a vote of all Trust members. The Trust membership voted about 70:30 in favour of gifting 200,000 shares to John Fenty which would make him the major shareholder again. I think there were some strings - continued financial support for the Club by JF and some consultation with the Trust over budgets (I think the hope was to get the club to balance the books over a few years to prevent us getting into more debt).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 201
KingstonMariner
January 9, 2015, 10:04pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from fleabag1970

If the supermarket model was relevant in this case then no sodomist would bother going to see Grimsby Town because the value for money is shite in a purely commercial sense. Quite apart from many supporters individually owning shares and collectively owning shares via the Trust, supporters (including John Fenty) have a moral ownership of the club.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 201
KingstonMariner
January 9, 2015, 10:05pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from fleabag1970

Oh, and in many cases they do own their club.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 201
TAGG
January 9, 2015, 10:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Teestogreen

IMO he will read the fishy again after few schooners one weekend after another home defeat and he wont be able to resist when hes had one or two more he will get mardy and either post or get the fishy shut down again.

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 201
BIGChris
January 9, 2015, 10:23pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Just to clarify (at least how I remember it):
Mike Parker gifted the Trust 500,000 shares (face value £500,000) which made them the major shareholder.
The Trust were not represented on the Club Board. John Fenty said he couldn't continue to support the club when control rested outside the boardroom.
The Trust board thought about it and decided to put it to a vote of all Trust members. The Trust membership voted about 70:30 in favour of gifting 200,000 shares to John Fenty which would make him the major shareholder again. I think there were some strings - continued financial support for the Club by JF and some consultation with the Trust over budgets (I think the hope was to get the club to balance the books over a few years to prevent us getting into more debt).

A reasonably accurate recollection of events KM.

Mike Parker retained,( & still does to my knowledge) in round figures, £500k of shares but his holding PLUS the Trust holding of approx £535k meant that control lay outside the boardroom. The club needed a cash injection to meet regular commitments I.e. Wages etc.

The Trust were not in a position to inject cash and Mike was not interested in doing so.

JF had cash but wouldn't do so because, in theory at least, the Trust acting in cahoots with Mike Parker had enough voting powers to remove him within 28 days by calling an EGM.

It is not unreasonable (IMO) that if you are to invest cash that you want a degree of control. Would anybody really expect to invest without a say?

A proposal was negotiated that in return for transferring £200k of shares from the Trust to JF, he would also invest a further £200k in cash by buying shares. This is often forgotten in that JF did receive the shares but critically the club received a cash injection of £200k too.

From memory JF now owns something in the region of 46% of the club shares  Mike Parker  20%+ and the Trust 13%. The remainder is in the hands of (mostly) individual fans

The vote was something like 84% in favour of the proposal.

Some  said the Trust should have called JF's bluff. The membership decided otherwise. The Trust ( in its current form)at that stage was in its infancy and certainly not in a position to play Russian roulette with the clubs very existence within a couple of months of being relaunched.

Most know I am no longer part of the Trust board but I remain totally committed to the fans, through a properly constituted Trust, having a major say in the running of their club. I will always try and answer any questions as honestly and openly as I can

UTM
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 201
MuddyWaters
January 9, 2015, 10:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

Mike Parker retained,( & still does to my knowledge) in round figures, £500k of shares but his holding PLUS the Trust holding of approx £535k meant that control lay outside the boardroom. The club needed a cash injection to meet regular commitments I.e. Wages etc.

The Trust were not in a position to inject cash and Mike was not interested in doing so.

JF had cash but wouldn't do so because, in theory at least, the Trust acting in cahoots with Mike Parker had enough voting powers to remove him within 28 days by calling an EGM.

It is not unreasonable (IMO) that if you are to invest cash that you want a degree of control. Would anybody really expect to invest without a say?

A proposal was negotiated that in return for transferring £200k of shares from the Trust to JF, he would also invest a further £200k in cash by buying shares. This is often forgotten in that JF did receive the shares but critically the club received a cash injection of £200k too.

From memory JF now owns something in the region of 46% of the club shares  Mike Parker  20%+ and the Trust 13%. The remainder is in the hands of (mostly) individual fans

Some  said the Trust should have called JF's bluff. The membership decided otherwise. The Trust ( in its current form)at that stage was in its infancy and certainly not in a position to play Russian roulette with the clubs very existence within a couple of months of being relaunched.

Most know I am no longer part of the Trust board but I remain totally committed to the fans, through a properly constituted Trust, having a major say in the running of their club. I will always try and answer any questions as honestly and openly as I can

UTM

Thanks for such an up-front reply. I have my own opinion of how this was handled and I'm sure others have their own.
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 201
monkeyboy
January 9, 2015, 10:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
so what real financial part do the rest of the board play?
Surely they should consider their roles in the club and maybe try to offer roles to the likes of the ross family as well respected business people with a bit of clout.

I like JF by the way, shrewd man but cannot do it all his self even if he likes it that way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 201
Teestogreen
January 9, 2015, 11:38pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from monkeyboy
so what real financial part do the rest of the board play?
Surely they should consider their roles in the club and maybe try to offer roles to the likes of the ross family as well respected business people with a bit of clout.

I like JF by the way, shrewd man but cannot do it all his self even if he likes it that way.

Exactly - progress being made here tonight I feel. I am unable to find out on GTFC website who the shareholders are and how many shares does anyone hold. There needs to be a transparency in this respect imo. (Not that moi is going to be  saviour, but a.n.o. may have an inkling how to offer an improved way forward, as an alternative to the current way forward).

UTM  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 201
Marinerz93
January 9, 2015, 11:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

UTM

The question that JF will flatly refuse to answer unless it is behind closed doors on a one to one, is how the situation arose in the first place that the boardroom allowed MP, who at the time was no longer a director to buy the extra £500k of shares, knowing that control would then be outside the boardroom. JF £500k worth of shares MP £1M worth of shares, it's simple maths.

JF could have matched MP and we wouldn't have had the chaos that ensued, down side is the trust wouldn't have had the shares donated.  The only good thing that came out of it was that the trust got in the boardroom however, at cost of £200K worth of shares when the other directors hold how many shares and will put up how much money up? I would say that is madder than JF claiming he is some sort of lunatic, then he wonders why no one with cash with play with him.

MP had invested £500k, a bit cheeky asking for more don't you think, especially as other money promised didn't materialise.  

JF got £200k worth of shares off the trust and bought £200k worth of shares so effectively getting £400k worth of shares for £200k.  MP bought £500k worth of shares off the bat.

Private Message
Reply: 187 - 201
Nelly GTFC
January 10, 2015, 12:50am
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Did we ever have anyone willing to take over the club when we was in the old Division 2 / Championship?

I just don't think we would ever be something that would be attractive, unless we could break even at least, or some tycoon took over.

I seem to remember a consortium lead by Ivano Benetti with some other Italians tried, but it was turned down.  Just found an article.
Quoted from The Cow Shed | 16th March 2005
A consortium looking to take control of Grimsby Town wanted Bonetti to take over as manager at the club, and it was Pat Nevin that Ivano asked to become his assistant at Blundell Park.

As it happened, the move fell through, though the pair still hope to work with each other one day.
Link >> [url=http://www.thecowsheds.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=92:series-i-ivano-bonetti&catid=40:where-are-they-now&Itemid=67]Click here[/url]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 201
MarinerWY
January 10, 2015, 2:24am

Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988

I think that the size of that fraction is they key issue for anyone who will want to take the club over.

But why would JF just write off his loans? O'm not sure about the expectations of some to be honest... JF can't really be criticised for wanting at least part of his loans (clue in the word!) back if he were to hand over control of the club...
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 201
davmariner
January 10, 2015, 2:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,912
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from MarinerWY

But why would JF just write off his loans? O'm not sure about the expectations of some to be honest... JF can't really be criticised for wanting at least part of his loans (clue in the word!) back if he were to hand over control of the club...

He wasted so much money bringing in and sacking managers but also allowing duff managers to pay good money for duff players and eventually having to pay them off on on a large scale. One particular scouse manager comes to mind.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 190 - 201
MarinerWY
January 10, 2015, 2:59am

Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Quoted from davmariner

He wasted so much money bringing in and sacking managers but also allowing duff managers to pay good money for duff players and eventually having to pay them off on on a large scale. One particular scouse manager comes to mind.

But that's a different argument. Whether JF and others have used the money from those loans wisely or not is besides the point, the loans are still substantial, they are loans and it is reasonable to expect a return, and the fact that the retun might be significantly less than what is owed is already something worhty of credit: there is absolutely no obligation to reduce the repayment.

I think a few on this thread can't see the wood for the trees to be honest.
Private Message
Reply: 191 - 201
MuddyWaters
January 10, 2015, 9:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MarinerWY

But that's a different argument. Whether JF and others have used the money from those loans wisely or not is besides the point, the loans are still substantial, they are loans and it is reasonable to expect a return, and the fact that the retun might be significantly less than what is owed is already something worhty of credit: there is absolutely no obligation to reduce the repayment.

I think a few on this thread can't see the wood for the trees to be honest.

Hold on. He's spent his money on some dodgy decisions, put the spend as a debt against the club and wants it back (in whatever fraction)?
Private Message
Reply: 192 - 201
Marinerz93
January 10, 2015, 10:15am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MarinerWY

This is just opening up old ground, answer me this, how much was the club in debt when JF took over, please include

A) Tax Debt
B) Ramsdens pay back

So total debt before JF took over =

Then after JF had paid Ramsden, JF's payment plan so he could get his money back, tax debt and money we received from the league and gates.

A) Tax debt payments
B) JF's payments

against income from league and gates receipts =

Does the remaining finances fund a reasonable squad, I would say no, and trigger happy hiring and firing, hence the loans.

I think you will see why JF's loan against the clubs assets have spiralled out of control.  Also keep in mind how much that debt is now and how much it would have been to clear in the first place and pay back over more reasonable time period.

Was this engineered to be like this or is it just a case of horrendous finance management.

MP said the loans against the clubs assets are bad on the books, no one will invest when someone has that sort of control.  No one in their right mind will buy something that comes at an extortionate price.  Things are only worth what they are worth, not more because someone blew a chunk of money doing what they wanted.

Private Message
Reply: 193 - 201
headingly_mariner
January 10, 2015, 5:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MarinerWY

The loans have paid for failure, why should anyone else foot that bill? The decisions that have been made at the club over the last 10 years or so have seen it fall out of the league, if those who made the decisions cannot right the decline then IMO they should pay the bill for the failure.
I will not get my season ticket refunded at the end of the season if we don't go up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 201
MuddyWaters
January 10, 2015, 5:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker

The loans have paid for failure, why should anyone else foot that bill? The decisions that have been made at the club over the last 10 years or so have seen it fall out of the league, if those who made the decisions cannot right the decline then IMO they should pay the bill for the failure.
I will not get my season ticket refunded at the end of the season if we don't go up.

Nail on head. We are going nowhere positive at present and the only carrot left to dangle is a new stadium. Well Mr Fenty, stop wasting your breath, write off your loans and ride off into the sunset, because with this manager, league football is a million miles away.
Private Message
Reply: 195 - 201
dapperz fun pub
January 10, 2015, 8:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Nail on head. We are going nowhere positive at present and the only carrot left to dangle is a new stadium. Well Mr Fenty, stop wasting your breath, write off your loans and ride off into the sunset, because with this manager, league football is a million miles away.

I've asked this before if he does walk, who is there to take the mantle? Even without the loans say taking over gtfc means a massive cash input from somewhere doesn't it ?have we got anyway to do it apart from ones who were involved before and didn't do a good job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 196 - 201
MuddyWaters
January 10, 2015, 8:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I've asked this before if he does walk, who is there to take the mantle? Even without the loans say taking over gtfc means a massive cash input from somewhere doesn't it ?have we got anyway to do it apart from ones who were involved before and didn't do a good job.

Well you can sure that there'll be fewer takers if someone has to cough 3 million on top of the price tag.
Private Message
Reply: 197 - 201
dapperz fun pub
January 10, 2015, 8:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Well you can sure that there'll be fewer takers if someone has to cough 3 million on top of the price tag.

Who are these takers ? Most of the big hitters of the town have been involved at some point, what new blood is there ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 198 - 201
Civvy at last
January 10, 2015, 9:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,204
Gold Stars: 131

Who are these takers ? Most of the big hitters of the town have been involved at some point, what new blood is there ?

The likes of Mike Parker

.  Still. It's my toy and I won't share unless it's my terms !

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 199 - 201
dapperz fun pub
January 10, 2015, 9:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Civvy at last

The likes of Mike Parker

.  Still. It's my toy and I won't share unless it's my terms !

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 200 - 201
KingstonMariner
January 11, 2015, 12:02am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

A reasonably accurate recollection of events KM. I tried to keep it factual and neutral

It is not unreasonable (IMO) that if you are to invest cash that you want a degree of control. Would anybody really expect to invest without a say? Agreed. But if he'd bought more shares instead of lending it would have given him control. And the debt owed to him gave him de facto control anyway.

Some  said the Trust should have called JF's bluff  Gulity as charged - if anything I'm even more convinced we should have.. The membership decided otherwise. The Trust ( in its current form)at that stage was in its infancy and certainly not in a position to play Russian roulette with the clubs very existence within a couple of months of being relaunched.

UTM

Wasn't the plan also to remove the deficit within a couple of years so the debt stopped growing?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 201 - 201
21 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Good By My Fishy Friends

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.