Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Good By My Fishy Friends
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 365 Guests

Good By My Fishy Friends

This thread currently has 28,445 views. Print
21 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
January 9, 2015, 10:04pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from fleabag1970

So you own Tesco / Asda etc ?

If the supermarket model was relevant in this case then no sodomist would bother going to see Grimsby Town because the value for money is shite in a purely commercial sense. Quite apart from many supporters individually owning shares and collectively owning shares via the Trust, supporters (including John Fenty) have a moral ownership of the club.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 201
KingstonMariner
January 9, 2015, 10:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from fleabag1970

Do cricket fans own their club ? Do rugby fans own Their club ??  Just because you shop at Tesco does that mean you own them too ??

He Owns it , lock stock and barrel   !!!!  Along with whoever else has money tied up in the club !

Oh, and in many cases they do own their club.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 201
TAGG
January 9, 2015, 10:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Teestogreen

I think John is right not to post on this forum (and I understand he won't read this), but I think he should still visit the site. Unfortunately, there will, always be an 'ouch' when he does read some of the comments, but there are a lot of very good posters on here, that I believe are close to the belief of GTFC supporters in general, in terms of how to progress upwards.

IMO he will read the fishy again after few schooners one weekend after another home defeat and he wont be able to resist when hes had one or two more he will get mardy and either post or get the fishy shut down again.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 201
BIGChris
January 9, 2015, 10:23pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Just to clarify (at least how I remember it):
Mike Parker gifted the Trust 500,000 shares (face value £500,000) which made them the major shareholder.
The Trust were not represented on the Club Board. John Fenty said he couldn't continue to support the club when control rested outside the boardroom.
The Trust board thought about it and decided to put it to a vote of all Trust members. The Trust membership voted about 70:30 in favour of gifting 200,000 shares to John Fenty which would make him the major shareholder again. I think there were some strings - continued financial support for the Club by JF and some consultation with the Trust over budgets (I think the hope was to get the club to balance the books over a few years to prevent us getting into more debt).

A reasonably accurate recollection of events KM.

Mike Parker retained,( & still does to my knowledge) in round figures, £500k of shares but his holding PLUS the Trust holding of approx £535k meant that control lay outside the boardroom. The club needed a cash injection to meet regular commitments I.e. Wages etc.

The Trust were not in a position to inject cash and Mike was not interested in doing so.

JF had cash but wouldn't do so because, in theory at least, the Trust acting in cahoots with Mike Parker had enough voting powers to remove him within 28 days by calling an EGM.

It is not unreasonable (IMO) that if you are to invest cash that you want a degree of control. Would anybody really expect to invest without a say?

A proposal was negotiated that in return for transferring £200k of shares from the Trust to JF, he would also invest a further £200k in cash by buying shares. This is often forgotten in that JF did receive the shares but critically the club received a cash injection of £200k too.

From memory JF now owns something in the region of 46% of the club shares  Mike Parker  20%+ and the Trust 13%. The remainder is in the hands of (mostly) individual fans

The vote was something like 84% in favour of the proposal.

Some  said the Trust should have called JF's bluff. The membership decided otherwise. The Trust ( in its current form)at that stage was in its infancy and certainly not in a position to play Russian roulette with the clubs very existence within a couple of months of being relaunched.

Most know I am no longer part of the Trust board but I remain totally committed to the fans, through a properly constituted Trust, having a major say in the running of their club. I will always try and answer any questions as honestly and openly as I can

UTM
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 201
MuddyWaters
January 9, 2015, 10:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from BIGChris

Mike Parker retained,( & still does to my knowledge) in round figures, £500k of shares but his holding PLUS the Trust holding of approx £535k meant that control lay outside the boardroom. The club needed a cash injection to meet regular commitments I.e. Wages etc.

The Trust were not in a position to inject cash and Mike was not interested in doing so.

JF had cash but wouldn't do so because, in theory at least, the Trust acting in cahoots with Mike Parker had enough voting powers to remove him within 28 days by calling an EGM.

It is not unreasonable (IMO) that if you are to invest cash that you want a degree of control. Would anybody really expect to invest without a say?

A proposal was negotiated that in return for transferring £200k of shares from the Trust to JF, he would also invest a further £200k in cash by buying shares. This is often forgotten in that JF did receive the shares but critically the club received a cash injection of £200k too.

From memory JF now owns something in the region of 46% of the club shares  Mike Parker  20%+ and the Trust 13%. The remainder is in the hands of (mostly) individual fans

Some  said the Trust should have called JF's bluff. The membership decided otherwise. The Trust ( in its current form)at that stage was in its infancy and certainly not in a position to play Russian roulette with the clubs very existence within a couple of months of being relaunched.

Most know I am no longer part of the Trust board but I remain totally committed to the fans, through a properly constituted Trust, having a major say in the running of their club. I will always try and answer any questions as honestly and openly as I can

UTM

Thanks for such an up-front reply. I have my own opinion of how this was handled and I'm sure others have their own.
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 201
monkeyboy
January 9, 2015, 10:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 26
so what real financial part do the rest of the board play?
Surely they should consider their roles in the club and maybe try to offer roles to the likes of the ross family as well respected business people with a bit of clout.

I like JF by the way, shrewd man but cannot do it all his self even if he likes it that way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 201
Teestogreen
January 9, 2015, 11:38pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -113
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from monkeyboy
so what real financial part do the rest of the board play?
Surely they should consider their roles in the club and maybe try to offer roles to the likes of the ross family as well respected business people with a bit of clout.

I like JF by the way, shrewd man but cannot do it all his self even if he likes it that way.

Exactly - progress being made here tonight I feel. I am unable to find out on GTFC website who the shareholders are and how many shares does anyone hold. There needs to be a transparency in this respect imo. (Not that moi is going to be  saviour, but a.n.o. may have an inkling how to offer an improved way forward, as an alternative to the current way forward).

UTM  

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 201
Marinerz93
January 9, 2015, 11:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from BIGChris

UTM

The question that JF will flatly refuse to answer unless it is behind closed doors on a one to one, is how the situation arose in the first place that the boardroom allowed MP, who at the time was no longer a director to buy the extra £500k of shares, knowing that control would then be outside the boardroom. JF £500k worth of shares MP £1M worth of shares, it's simple maths.

JF could have matched MP and we wouldn't have had the chaos that ensued, down side is the trust wouldn't have had the shares donated.  The only good thing that came out of it was that the trust got in the boardroom however, at cost of £200K worth of shares when the other directors hold how many shares and will put up how much money up? I would say that is madder than JF claiming he is some sort of lunatic, then he wonders why no one with cash with play with him.

MP had invested £500k, a bit cheeky asking for more don't you think, especially as other money promised didn't materialise.  

JF got £200k worth of shares off the trust and bought £200k worth of shares so effectively getting £400k worth of shares for £200k.  MP bought £500k worth of shares off the bat.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 201
Nelly GTFC
January 10, 2015, 12:50am
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +24 / -6
Approval: +2,694
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from headingly_mariner
I'm sure that there are people who would take the club on if that where the case.
Did we ever have anyone willing to take over the club when we was in the old Division 2 / Championship?

I just don't think we would ever be something that would be attractive, unless we could break even at least, or some tycoon took over.

I seem to remember a consortium lead by Ivano Benetti with some other Italians tried, but it was turned down.  Just found an article.
Quoted from The Cow Shed | 16th March 2005
A consortium looking to take control of Grimsby Town wanted Bonetti to take over as manager at the club, and it was Pat Nevin that Ivano asked to become his assistant at Blundell Park.

As it happened, the move fell through, though the pair still hope to work with each other one day.
Link >> [url=http://www.thecowsheds.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=92:series-i-ivano-bonetti&catid=40:where-are-they-now&Itemid=67]Click here[/url]

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 201
MarinerWY
January 10, 2015, 2:24am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,939
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I think that the size of that fraction is they key issue for anyone who will want to take the club over.

But why would JF just write off his loans? O'm not sure about the expectations of some to be honest... JF can't really be criticised for wanting at least part of his loans (clue in the word!) back if he were to hand over control of the club...
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 201
21 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Good By My Fishy Friends

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.