Maringer
January 5, 2015, 8:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,399
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from ginnywings

That's because Neilson thinks quickly and plays the ball to him at the right time. The others are too slow and by the time they pass Hannah is offside.

Hang on a minute, are we talking about the same player here?

Neilson tends to hold on to the ball much too much and invariably ends up trying to dribble across the field instead of laying off early passes. It's one of the main weaknesses in his game.

Hannah had a great original loan spell where he stuck the ball away practically every chance he got. Unfortunately, he's never looked like being anywhere near accurate since he signed permanently. As a lightweight sort of player without great pace or great skill, he's not going to be creating too much on his own so needs to be more clinical when the chances come his way. His scoring record over the past couple of seasons shows that this just hasn't been the case.

I can't fault his workrate as he absolutely runs his socks off, but personally, I think he's playing just a level too high. He'd probably score plenty in the Conference North/South which is where I expect he will end up playing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 134
MuddyWaters
January 5, 2015, 8:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Maringer

I can't fault his workrate as he absolutely runs his socks off, but personally, I think he's playing just a level too high. He'd probably score plenty in the Conference North/South which is where I expect he will end up playing.

Like Cook, Southwell, Bogle and Nicky Walker?
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 134
ginnywings
January 5, 2015, 9:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Maringer

Hang on a minute, are we talking about the same player here?

Neilson tends to hold on to the ball much too much and invariably ends up trying to dribble across the field instead of laying off early passes. It's one of the main weaknesses in his game.

Hannah had a great original loan spell where he stuck the ball away practically every chance he got. Unfortunately, he's never looked like being anywhere near accurate since he signed permanently. As a lightweight sort of player without great pace or great skill, he's not going to be creating too much on his own so needs to be more clinical when the chances come his way. His scoring record over the past couple of seasons shows that this just hasn't been the case.

Ok then, when he does play a through ball, he gets it right more often than others as he did in his initial spell with Hannah. Lately though, he is disappearing up his own backside and going backwards as a lot of our players seem to do.

I still think we play the ball too slowly, to Hannah's detriment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 134
Abdul19
January 5, 2015, 9:18pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yes, yes, no and yes. Bogle will probably end up at Peterborough!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 134
Maringer
January 5, 2015, 9:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Well, yes.

Most of the teams in the Conference Premier are full-time, most of the teams on the Conference North and South aren't. There's a big difference between playing against full-time pros or not.

Hannah scored a lot of goals before at Buxton, but these were in the Northern Premier League Premier Division - this is two levels beneath us and I don't imagine that there will be any full-time pros at that level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 134
Maringer
January 5, 2015, 9:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

I still think we play the ball too slowly, to Hannah's detriment.

I agree entirely with this point. Our central midfielders are lacking dynamism, to say the least. It's all well and good having flicks and tricks (lots of twists and turns from Clay and Brown, but they are invariably static when they receive the ball), but the first-time pass is often the better option. We don't have the players to do this often enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 134
ackomariner
January 5, 2015, 9:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from SamTheMariner

Good, Hannah is sh!te.

What and the world class goal scorer isn't.

Give your head a wobble

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 134
SamTheMariner
January 5, 2015, 9:55pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
Our midfield lacks creativity and you'd hope that player could play balls to the wings in space. MacKreth on the right Aza on the left. Neilson in behind Lenny with Pittman wide left. This would leave plenty of room for Aza with the full back so concerned about a narrow Pittman. They swing in crosses. Lenny, Disley and Palmer score a hat ful simple.

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 134
Abdul19
January 5, 2015, 9:58pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from ackomariner

Give your head a wobble

Probably my favourite Fishy saying.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 134
SamTheMariner
January 5, 2015, 9:58pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
Quoted from ackomariner

What and the world class goal scorer isn't.

Give your head a wobble

Yeah I need to change that. Put it on after the Torquay game.

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 134
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town to Sign OIlie Palmer

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.