This thread currently has 3,290 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
LH
January 3, 2015, 2:01pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,500
Gold Stars: 173
Why not just have a single "like" if the plan is to stick with it? Can't see the sense in aggregating as Ginny said.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
GrimRob
January 3, 2015, 2:19pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from LH
Why not just have a single "like" if the plan is to stick with it? Can't see the sense in aggregating as Ginny said.

The problem with just having Like is someone puts a post on saying Sack Hurst and 12 people "like" it, then it gives a totally false impression. But if 12 people approve of it and 9 people disapprove of it (i.e. +3 in the new system) then it tells a totally different story. The reason for giving an aggregate score is to show whether the community broadly agrees or disagrees with a post.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 23
Nelly GTFC
January 3, 2015, 2:31pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,734
Gold Stars: 31
Why not have a forum vote, for and against?  Let democracy decide it's fate

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 3, 2015, 2:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I think that for this forum the aggregate idea is a bad one Rob. The old system at least gave the poster an idea of whether his/her opinion had registered in the minds of fellow posters even if the red crosses were in the majority. An aggregate gives no feedback at all. A zero could be because there are 20 ticks and 20 crosses or 0 ticks and 0 crosses.

I know a lot of sites like the GT do use aggregate scoring but for the Fishy we should have what suits us not change for the sake of uniformity with other sites.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
Rick12
January 3, 2015, 2:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from fleabag1970
Just get rid !!! They create Bias , they may think a poster is talking rubbish because of the x
Spot on for me.Like mentioned before why not get rid of the rep thing as well and just have a rating for a single post thats not  accumalative.For me the fishy would be a much better site for for it .Incidentally this is how a lot of other footy sites work as well

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
GrimRob
January 3, 2015, 3:01pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Rick12
Spot on for me.Like mentioned before why not get rid of the rep thing as well and just have a rating for a single post thats not  accumalative.For me the fishy would be a much better site for for it .Incidentally this is how a lot of other footy sites work as well

Show me an example of how you think it should work.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 23
Tommy
January 3, 2015, 3:01pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from GrimRob

The problem with just having Like is someone puts a post on saying Sack Hurst and 12 people "like" it, then it gives a totally false impression. But if 12 people approve of it and 9 people disapprove of it (i.e. +3 in the new system) then it tells a totally different story. The reason for giving an aggregate score is to show whether the community broadly agrees or disagrees with a post.

If 12 people approved and 9 people disapproved, I think most of us would be capable of working out which number was higher as displayed previously in the tick/cross boxes. Without the need for this tricky bit of maths to be done for us.

Appreciate you're looking at ways to improve the site Rob but I don't think this needed altering.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
Rick12
January 3, 2015, 3:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from GrimRob

Show me an example of how you think it should work.
Look at the" football forum more than a game "Robb.Probably the football forum with the most traffic and this is how they do it.Single like for a thread and to be fair you could add  a dislike button as well to get a measure of the view point amongst the fans but I dont think accumulative is the way to go.Apart from that Robb its a good site for us fans and I appreciate the work that goes into it

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
promotion plaice
January 3, 2015, 3:12pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from GrimRob
Some of you may have noticed that we now show the net number of ticks and crosses of each post (i.e. a tick is +1 and a cross is -1) rather than the number of of each type of vote. So if a post received 4 ticks and 3 crosses it will have a score of +1.

Make sure you refresh the page to get the latest CSS as I have changed the layout recently.

Why fix it when it aint broke  
And it gives you less feedback

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
Chrisblor
January 3, 2015, 5:18pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,780
Gold Stars: 233
Put it back to how it used to be. An aggregate score is useless.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ticks and crosses

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.