Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby vs Arsenal FAC 1985-6 photo
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 207 Guests

Grimsby vs Arsenal FAC 1985-6 photo

This thread currently has 4,460 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
January 2, 2015, 11:50am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Grimsby played host to multi international side Arsenal and lost 4-3 in a crackinG FAC tie. Memories of the game include Arsenal fans being given the Pontoon for the day - which didn't go down well! Charlie Nicholas grabbed his one and only hat trick for the Gunners, and the game being shown on MOTD.

Photo shows Roy of the Rovers, sorry, Mike Lyons outjumping Viv Anderson, with Gary Lund and David O'Learly also shown. Lyons went up to play the last 15 minutes at centre forward, as he often did when we were losing. Under his leadership, it has to be said, that wasn't a particularly uncommon occurence.

[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/2wf77n7.jpg[/IMG]

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
FishOutOfWater
January 2, 2015, 11:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from jock dock tower
Grimsby played host to multi international side Arsenal and lost 4-3 in a crackinG FAC tie. Memories of the game include Arsenal fans being given the Pontoon for the day - which didn't go down well! Charlie Nicholas grabbed his one and only hat trick for the Gunners, and the game being shown on MOTD ITV's "The Big Match"

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/ITV/BigMatch83-88.html

Photo shows Roy of the Rovers, sorry, Mike Lyons outjumping Viv Anderson, with Gary Lund and David O'Learly also shown. Lyons went up to play the last 15 minutes at centre forward, as he often did when we were losing. Under his leadership, it has to be said, that wasn't a particularly uncommon occurence.

Slight edit there Jock...we were the first football to be featured on TV that season and what a game it was!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 10
jock dock tower
January 2, 2015, 12:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
I thought we were the first televised game because of a dispute with the Football League over money, but tried MOTD on Wikipedia and nothing on there, so assumed I was having a senior moment!

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
FishOutOfWater
January 2, 2015, 12:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
There was some kind of dispute that couldn't be resolved until they found a game worth showing...  

On the link I found it states

Negotiations between TV companies and the Football League remained deadlocked throughout the first half of the season, there was no football on TV in England & Wales (apart from Internationals and newsreels on Saturday night News bulletins) until January 1986. When football returned to our TV screens, both the BBC and ITV decided to show highlights on Saturday nights and the live games on Sunday afternoons (but only one channel would screen a programme on any given weekend, except FA Cup weekends when one channel would have highlights and the other a live game)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 10
Mrs Doyle
January 2, 2015, 2:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Stood in the osmond corner it was shite remember us singing to Charlie Nicolas page three girl Sam Fox to get her mammaries out for the crowd Charlie answered in the best way by scoring a hat trick.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
grimsby pete
January 2, 2015, 2:19pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
My wife and I were sat in the Osmond that day

One of Lyons better games ( the team I mean )

We did not have a lot of those,

No disgrace losing to the gunners.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
FishOutOfWater
January 2, 2015, 3:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Pushing the boat out there Pete...you should have stood in the Osmond with the rest of us stamping our feet to ward off the cold
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 10
FishOutOfWater
January 2, 2015, 3:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Pushing the boat out there Pete...you should have stood in the Osmond with the rest of us stamping our feet to ward off the cold
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 10
Marinerz93
January 2, 2015, 4:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from jock dock tower
Grimsby played host to multi international side Arsenal and lost 4-3 in a crackinG FAC tie. Memories of the game include Arsenal fans being given the Pontoon for the day - which didn't go down well! Charlie Nicholas grabbed his one and only hat trick for the Gunners, and the game being shown on MOTD.

Did you know that Mick Lyons owned the match ball and that's why he took all the throw ins, free kicks and corners  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
1mickylyons
January 2, 2015, 6:18pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
I also sat in the Osmond seats but I seem to recall rather than Town giving Arsenal the Pontoon that day the Club gave the Pontoon to away fans for the full Season maybe 2 Seasons on police advice I was certainly in the Osmond to see Town relegated by Hull?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
arryarryarry
January 3, 2015, 12:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from 1mickylyons
I also sat in the Osmond seats but I seem to recall rather than Town giving Arsenal the Pontoon that day the Club gave the Pontoon to away fans for the full Season maybe 2 Seasons on police advice I was certainly in the Osmond to see Town relegated by Hull?

Town certainly made the Pontoon the visitors stand, a disgraceful decision at the time I thought.

Private Message
Reply: 10 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby vs Arsenal FAC 1985-6 photo

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.