davmariner
January 2, 2015, 2:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,910
Gold Stars: 78
http://m.peterleestar.co.uk/sp.....ool-united-1-7013422

Just read this interview with Mike Newell regarding his thoughts on the Hartlepool situation.

More interestingly, mentions that he has applied for 'millions of jobs' and is coaching at Accrington Stanley at the minute.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Marinerz93
January 2, 2015, 8:31am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
How Neweel is even involved with anything to do with football after what he did to us beggars belief.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
FishOutOfWater
January 2, 2015, 10:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Marinerz93
How Neweel is even involved with anything to do with football after what he did to us beggars belief.

Not trying to be confrontational Marinerz93 but "what he did to us"....what do you mean?

I admit he wasn't the great appointment we all thought he might have been when he came along, but were we really in any worse a position after the year he had in charge from when he took over from Buckley / Watkiss

Given that he was relieved of his duties in mid October (and not for his footballing failures or so we are led to believe?) it was hardly that we were in a position where recovery couldn't be put in place after he had moved on from BP

As I said, just wondered what there is that I'm not getting in so far as he shouldn't be involved in football any more?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 11
diehardmariner
January 2, 2015, 11:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,428
Gold Stars: 532
I think it's easy to forget how much poison Newell brought into the dressing room with him.  

A culture of not caring, turning up drunk or not at all was rife throughout the club.  That's from both the manager and players.

I don't want to bring up a debate about Wood's failings but Newell left this club in an absolute excrement state.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
grimsby pete
January 2, 2015, 11:35am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Whatever we all think of Newell,

If he was here now, he would have signed 10 strikers,( all rubbish of course )

Hurst can not get one to come in.  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
psgmariner
January 2, 2015, 12:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
He was the last appointment I remember where pretty much everyone agreed it was a great appointment. Shows what we know!

Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
cardiffmariner
January 2, 2015, 1:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,308
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from psgmariner
He was the last appointment I remember where pretty much everyone agreed it was a great appointment. Shows what we know!

This is often said but I don't think it's true.  Not wishing to sound wise after the event but his drinking and general approach to managing a football club was common knowledge to most Hartlepool fans at the time we appointed him - a mate of mine who is 'Pools fan had stories about him being drunk at the services before/after games on away trips.

Diehards earlier comment is spot on for me.  It's not about when he left us or where we were in the table, it was the way he polluted the club.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
Mrs Doyle
January 2, 2015, 1:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
So did Fenty to be fair you can not account for the sort of capers Newell got up to at BP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
davmariner
January 2, 2015, 2:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,910
Gold Stars: 78
If he'd have been properly vetted then I'd imagine he wouldn't have been appointed.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
Marinerz93
January 2, 2015, 3:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Not trying to be confrontational Marinerz93 but "what he did to us"....what do you mean?

I admit he wasn't the great appointment we all thought he might have been when he came along, but were we really in any worse a position after the year he had in charge from when he took over from Buckley / Watkiss

Given that he was relieved of his duties in mid October (and not for his footballing failures or so we are led to believe?) it was hardly that we were in a position where recovery couldn't be put in place after he had moved on from BP

As I said, just wondered what there is that I'm not getting in so far as he shouldn't be involved in football any more?

Recovery may have been achieved if Woods wasn't appointed, but as we know the inept boardroom voted for a caretaker manager who couldn't win a game.  So it is not only Neweels tenure but Woods as well.  The players Neweel brought to the club have got to be some of the worse in terms of value for money we have ever seen.  

There is also no guarantee that any one including Slade who could have saved us.

AB's budget I am informed was no where near as much as what Neweel got.

The Lions share of blame lays at Neweels feet in my eyes for us being relegated out of the league.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
FishOutOfWater
January 2, 2015, 4:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Marinerz93

Recovery may have been achieved if Woods wasn't appointed, but as we know the inept boardroom voted for a caretaker manager who couldn't win a game.  So it is not only Neweels tenure but Woods as well.  The players Neweel brought to the club have got to be some of the worse in terms of value for money we have ever seen.  

There is also no guarantee that any one including Slade who could have saved us.

AB's budget I am informed was no where near as much as what Neweel got.

The Lions share of blame lays at Neweels feet in my eyes for us being relegated out of the league.

That's fair comment mate...maybe I would put the ball more in Woods' court for our loss of league status but you maybe can't deny the ship was more or less "on the rocks" before he took over at the helm  (see what I did there given the supposed drinking culture we had at the time    )

Hindsight and all that but I still believe someone else other than Woods could have (although not necessarily would have) saved our league status...no way any one of us can say for sure though
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 11
Marinerz93
January 2, 2015, 4:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

That's fair comment mate...maybe I would put the ball more in Woods' court for our loss of league status but you maybe can't deny the ship was more or less "on the rocks" before he took over at the helm  (see what I did there given the supposed drinking culture we had at the time    )

Hindsight and all that but I still believe someone else other than Woods could have (although not necessarily would have) saved our league status...no way any one of us can say for sure though

Danny North said something about the drinking culture on the radio.

It will always be a grey area if our league status could have been saved but those players he brought in caused damage to the club internally as well, the likes of North and other young players.

I wouldn't say Woods was blameless but I felt and more than a few mentioned it at the time, Woods didn't really stand a chance with those players.  The board is at fault with Woods appointment just as much as the board of the day were to blame for not appointing Cockers when he was caretaker manager.

Private Message
Reply: 11 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mike Newell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.