arryarryarry
January 3, 2015, 2:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Maringer
When people talk about sacking the manager at any time but the close season, I think back to recent history and how things went for us.

Getting rid of the manager mid-season just hasn't worked for us that I can remember from the past 20-odd years. It was sheer luck (i.e. Luton's enormous points deduction) that kept us up when Newell arrived but his chaotic reign ultimately set out the stall for our collapse into the Conference. Every other time, getting rid of the manager mid-season has led to relegation directly or a further downward spiral.

This isn't too surprising because it must be pretty difficult for a new manager to come in to a club and quickly discover what the strengths/weaknesses of the current squad are. This is why there tends to be a massive turnover of players very quickly with all sorts of loan signings coming in. Our circumstances mean that these players will either generally not be up to much or will bring a number of problems with them.

The arrival of a new manager can, on rare occasions, invigorate a club but there are few such managers around and you'd have to say it would a surprise if we got one of them given our current situation. Unsurprisingly, the better managers tend to be mostly in employment already or, if looking for a job, aiming their sights higher than a Conference club.

If we had sacked Woods during that long run without a win then I believe we would have stayed up but we didn't and the rest as they say is history.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 68
forza ivano
January 3, 2015, 2:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,126
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from ginnywings

I just wish Hurst would be a bit more positive and hope to god that he brings in 2 or 3 players that can get us firing again. I appreciate it's not easy but sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate. A couple of exciting signings would bring back some floating fans and pay for themselves.

I know he was an bottom but for a few weeks, Conlon had us believing in the team and the atmosphere at BP changed completely. I remember a decent Gillingham side (i think) coming here in the later stages of our league status and being blown away 3-0. Their manager said the crowd that day were the main reason we beat them as their players froze. He said it was very intimidating.

I don't think that's going to happen. Hurst is a safety first man. I have this theory. This is hursts one and only chance as a manager and therefore his professional and financial future depends on him not getting sacked after a disastrous season. If hurst had been sacked in the first 6-12 months he was unlikely to get any sort of job, especially as his sidekick scott was practically unemployable.therefore he depended on percentages and playing it safe to do th best he could.he now has got himself in the groove where if he plays the percentages allied with the money that we've got, the quality of the players and the fact we're full time then he's more or less guaranteed to be in or around the play offs. Suppose he gets sacked in six months ,he can now point to three play offs, a trophy final and trophy semi final and he's established himself as a successful conference manger so he's not going to find himself out of work for very long.
And of course one season he might just fluke it and get us through the play offs! I don't think it will happen and I think JF will say bye bye in the summer and move on. That will be a because he's had enough chances and b because his unsealing style will start to affect attendances and therefore bottom line
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 68
ginnywings
January 3, 2015, 2:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,097
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from forza ivano

I don't think that's going to happen. Hurst is a safety first man. I have this theory. This is hursts one and only chance as a manager and therefore his professional and financial future depends on him not getting sacked after a disastrous season. If hurst had been sacked in the first 6-12 months he was unlikely to get any sort of job, especially as his sidekick scott was practically unemployable.therefore he depended on percentages and playing it safe to do th best he could.he now has got himself in the groove where if he plays the percentages allied with the money that we've got, the quality of the players and the fact we're full time then he's more or less guaranteed to be in or around the play offs. Suppose he gets sacked in six months ,he can now point to three play offs, a trophy final and trophy semi final and he's established himself as a successful conference manger so he's not going to find himself out of work for very long.
And of course one season he might just fluke it and get us through the play offs! I don't think it will happen and I think JF will say bye bye in the summer and move on. That will be a because he's had enough chances and b because his unsealing style will start to affect attendances and therefore bottom line

Yeah, that is exactly what i think and have said that any half decent coach could achieve the same given our resources. He is chugging along on a par score for the budget. We have been starved of anything even approaching success for that long, a lot of people accept what he is doing, but for me, there needs to be more ambition and risk taking. If we are going to fail again, i'd rather we did it with a more expansive brand of football.

I appreciate others see it differently.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 68
forza ivano
January 3, 2015, 3:38pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,126
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, that is exactly what i think and have said that any half decent coach could achieve the same given our resources. He is chugging along on a par score for the budget. We have been starved of anything even approaching success for that long, a lot of people accept what he is doing, but for me, there needs to be more ambition and risk taking. If we are going to fail again, i'd rather we did it with a more expansive brand of football.

I appreciate others see it differently.

Lot of truth in there. To play Devils advocate I bet there's quite a few conference fans who say that they wish they had Paul hurst in charge,especially  if they had watched the usual efficient town away performance. If hurst had been reckless and had been sacked he'd have been lucky to get a job at helper town,let alone a pro job.as it stands now he would be top of the list for any conference job and if you were tranmere or Hartlepool and being relegated you'd deffo be looking at hurst as the man to steady the ship and get them back up
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 68
rancido
January 3, 2015, 4:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,526
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I think that the last 10 years has proved that there's a big difference between running a fish company and running a football club.

But if you look thoughout our history you will find there has been many leading fish merchants, builders , electrical contractors and grocers on the Board or as Chairmen. What background does qualify in making you an ideal person to run a football club? The analogy I used was only to point out that constantly missing targets in managing a football club should carry the same penalty as missing your production targets in a manufacturing environment - replacement.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 68
promotion plaice
January 3, 2015, 4:25pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Hurst half time team talk, ( not )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im85NY4NKt4

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 68
MuddyWaters
January 3, 2015, 4:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from rancido

But if you look thoughout our history you will find there has been many leading fish merchants, builders , electrical contractors and grocers on the Board or as Chairmen. What background does qualify in making you an ideal person to run a football club? The analogy I used was only to point out that constantly missing targets in managing a football club should carry the same penalty as missing your production targets in a manufacturing environment - replacement.

Any business replaces anyone not doing their job properly, right from the very top, look at Tesco!
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 68
Maringer
January 3, 2015, 5:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,382
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from arryarryarry

If we had sacked Woods during that long run without a win then I believe we would have stayed up but we didn't and the rest as they say is history.

Well, I never thought Woods was a good appointment in the first place, especially after his failure during the period as caretaker manager. That said, I'm not convinced getting rid of him later in the season would have brought about any great improvement as the squad he had built really was very poor with the defence especially weak.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 68
KingstonMariner
January 3, 2015, 5:48pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from forza ivano

Found myself nodding in agreement. I don't think it'd be wise to get rid of him now and I don't think his record necessarily deserves it. No doubt we will fail miserably in the play offs again and that would be the time to do the deed

In that case, it should have been done in May 2014 as some of us said then.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 68
KingstonMariner
January 3, 2015, 5:52pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from forza ivano

Put another way, you seem to be saying Hurst is not attractive to other clubs. I disagree, but he just isn't good enough for us in our promotion push.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In defence of Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.