LongEatonMariner
January 3, 2015, 8:49am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Vance Warner

He was out of contract and wanted to play in a higher league for a team nearer his home - not much we could have done about that. The further down the pyramid we've fallen the bigger a burden our geographical location is. It certainly gives Barnet a big advantage over us.

I thought it was because he was offered a contract on the same money, not an increase? I thought he would have been happy to stay?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 68
LongEatonMariner
January 3, 2015, 8:52am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ginnywings

Cheers, I couldn't quite remember why he left but Vance's version of events didn't ring true.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 68
oldun
January 3, 2015, 9:09am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from lukeo

Very honest and professional in my eyes. I was gutted when he went.

He still comes to BP when not playing. The last time I spoke to him he said he is playing in a more central role at York, hence his goal scoring, but that was before Wilcocks took over. Top person.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 68
forza ivano
January 3, 2015, 11:26am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from EY Mariner
Other posters have talked about having a sense of deja vu in recent days. I share that, only mine relates to the latest round of criticism aimed at Paul Hurst that is not remotely supported by a reasonable analysis of the facts.

What do I mean by that? Well, let's think back to early October, when Hurst's position was last under as much scrutiny as it is now. After the home draw with Altrincham on October 7, I feared that Hurst would be dismissed. But, since then and with Hurst still in place, we have taken 26 points out of the 39 available to us. Prior to last Sunday, we had only lost once in our previous 11 league games (won eight, drawn two). And if you care to look back to the last point at which we suffered successive league defeats in September, we had taken 35 points out of a possible 51 available before last Sunday. Forgive me for not wanting to join in the witch hunt, but I cannot see how that record warrants the level of criticism posted on this forum in the last few days.

I wasn't at the game yesterday, but I was at the Lincoln game and, as much as they played very well on the day, I don't think we were, as has been suggested, poor. Perhaps I'm alone in recalling the three or four excellent saves that Farman made in the second half or the fact that we really should have been 2-0 up before their magnificent equaliser. We made enough chances to win the game and, like at their place in September, deserved at least something from it. It wasn't to be, but we'd had an extraordinary record against them in recent seasons before this year. They were always going to have their moments and those moments, as frustrating as they are, are not enough to justify a change of manager on their own.

I said in October that I felt it was a bigger gamble to sack Hurst than to stick with him and nothing that has happened since then has changed my view. Unless it becomes clear before the end of the season that we will not go up, and we are nowhere that point at the moment, the time to judge him is not now, not in the heat of the moment after a game, but at the end of the season. I'm prepared to wait. I'm as frustrated as anybody when we don't perform to the ability that we all know our squad possesses. But I try to keep things in their proper perspective and, sadly, I think too many of my fellow supporters, and certainly too many posters here, are either unable or unwilling to do that. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear Paul Hurst may end up being another Russell Slade – someone with whom we only truly realised what we had after he'd long gone.

Found myself nodding in agreement. I don't think it'd be wise to get rid of him now and I don't think his record necessarily deserves it. No doubt we will fail miserably in the play offs again and that would be the time to do the deed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 68
ginnywings
January 3, 2015, 11:40am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from forza ivano

Found myself nodding in agreement. I don't think it'd be wise to get rid of him now and I don't think his record necessarily deserves it. No doubt we will fail miserably in the play offs again and that would be the time to do the deed

Yes, EY mariner makes some very good points and i gave him a +, even though i don't entirely agree with his post as it only tells the stats. It doesn't tell of the dire way those points were achieved and the alienation the fans feel toward Hurst and the club at the moment.

I accept that some fans are happy just to get the points by any means necessary, but for me his whole footballing philosophy goes against the grain and is painful to watch.

If he takes us up via the play offs, then fair enough, job done. I don't think he will though. The lottery of the play offs seems to be the aim, when we should be challenging harder for the title. It's all very deja vu.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 68
MuddyWaters
January 3, 2015, 11:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings

Yes, EY mariner makes some very good points and i gave him a +, even though i don't entirely agree with his post as it only tells the stats. It doesn't tell of the dire way those points were achieved and the alienation the fans feel toward Hurst and the club at the moment.

I accept that some fans are happy just to get the points by any means necessary, but for me his whole footballing philosophy goes against the grain and is painful to watch.

If he takes us up via the play offs, then fair enough, job done. I don't think he will though. The lottery of the play offs seems to be the aim, when we should be challenging harder for the title. It's all very deja vu.

As usual, you and Forza make very sensible points. I just have no faith in the people leading the club to deliver promotion which is essentially a justification for a new stadium.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 68
Maringer
January 3, 2015, 12:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,407
Gold Stars: 184
When people talk about sacking the manager at any time but the close season, I think back to recent history and how things went for us.

Getting rid of the manager mid-season just hasn't worked for us that I can remember from the past 20-odd years. It was sheer luck (i.e. Luton's enormous points deduction) that kept us up when Newell arrived but his chaotic reign ultimately set out the stall for our collapse into the Conference. Every other time, getting rid of the manager mid-season has led to relegation directly or a further downward spiral.

This isn't too surprising because it must be pretty difficult for a new manager to come in to a club and quickly discover what the strengths/weaknesses of the current squad are. This is why there tends to be a massive turnover of players very quickly with all sorts of loan signings coming in. Our circumstances mean that these players will either generally not be up to much or will bring a number of problems with them.

The arrival of a new manager can, on rare occasions, invigorate a club but there are few such managers around and you'd have to say it would a surprise if we got one of them given our current situation. Unsurprisingly, the better managers tend to be mostly in employment already or, if looking for a job, aiming their sights higher than a Conference club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 68
ackomariner
January 3, 2015, 12:28pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from ginnywings

Good post Ginny , but I feel the way we've been playing the last two months we will be lucky to even make the playoffs never mind win them.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 68
ginnywings
January 3, 2015, 12:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Maringer
When people talk about sacking the manager at any time but the close season, I think back to recent history and how things went for us.

Getting rid of the manager mid-season just hasn't worked for us that I can remember from the past 20-odd years. It was sheer luck (i.e. Luton's enormous points deduction) that kept us up when Newell arrived but his chaotic reign ultimately set out the stall for our collapse into the Conference. Every other time, getting rid of the manager mid-season has led to relegation directly or a further downward spiral.

This isn't too surprising because it must be pretty difficult for a new manager to come in to a club and quickly discover what the strengths/weaknesses of the current squad are. This is why there tends to be a massive turnover of players very quickly with all sorts of loan signings coming in. Our circumstances mean that these players will either generally not be up to much or will bring a number of problems with them.

The arrival of a new manager can, on rare occasions, invigorate a club but there are few such managers around and you'd have to say it would a surprise if we got one of them given our current situation. Unsurprisingly, the better managers tend to be mostly in employment already or, if looking for a job, aiming their sights higher than a Conference club.

Yeah, i tend to agree. If you are drifting aimlessly in the league or facing impending relegation under a poor manager, then that is justification for changing mid season. We are not in that position and i think it would be counter productive to change tack now.

I just wish Hurst would be a bit more positive and hope to god that he brings in 2 or 3 players that can get us firing again. I appreciate it's not easy but sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate. A couple of exciting signings would bring back some floating fans and pay for themselves.

I know he was an bottom but for a few weeks, Conlon had us believing in the team and the atmosphere at BP changed completely. I remember a decent Gillingham side (i think) coming here in the later stages of our league status and being blown away 3-0. Their manager said the crowd that day were the main reason we beat them as their players froze. He said it was very intimidating.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 68
grimsby pete
January 3, 2015, 12:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
I think the reason most people want Hurst gone is the home form,

We have won 7 but lost  5, even 6 if you count the cup,

Away from home fans do not expect us to play attractive attacking football;
Wining 6 and only losing 2 is great stats,

If Hurst can get the home form right he will be ok,

I am not sure he can but hope he does.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In defence of Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.