Vance Warner
January 2, 2015, 3:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,775
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

And on the Makreth / Colbeck point you raise....it really makes me wonder what Hurst (and Scott to be fair to him) were doing when they decided that Michael Coulson was not worth keeping hold of?  

I know he wasn't every fan's favourite and had a lot of abuse from some folk who sit around where I do in the Pontoon but jeez...imho he was twice the player either of his subsequent replacements were, proving his worth to York, in the Football League too, since we were minded to let him go

He was out of contract and wanted to play in a higher league for a team nearer his home - not much we could have done about that. The further down the pyramid we've fallen the bigger a burden our geographical location is. It certainly gives Barnet a big advantage over us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 68
ackomariner
January 2, 2015, 3:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from rancido
I've never been one to slag PH off but I am beginning to think he has reached his level  ie Conference Premier. He has signed some ( at least on paper ) good players but seems incapable of really knowing how to use them. He then does strange things like giving three youth team produced players and never using them. He said he had been chasing Mackreth for two seasons but on the evidence so far I can't understand why. He doesn't appear to have scintillating pace, always seems reluctant to take on his full-back and is hopeless at supporting his own full-back. Joe Colbeck might not have been that fast but at least he knew how to cover his full-back and you got one good game in about six from him. I don't know what Paddy has done wrong but I feel he is being totally wasted at the moment and I'm sure he will go at the end of the season and be a good signing for another team who use him in his natural position. Very few of the players even do some of the basics correctly , like supporting other team mates, making yourself available for short passes and being mobile instead of being static. A lot of the play seems to be reactive instead of pro-active and are very lethargic. I'm not questioning their fitness , just their whole approach to the game. I certainly think JF and the Board may have to make a season defining decision soon as regards PH's future with this club. He might unearth two or three players who could turn our season around but if things don't improve by the end of January then I don't believe we will get the promotion we desperately need.
One thing I would address to JF ( getyourfactsright ) is what was PH's brief when he was made manager in his own right? Was it get promotion as a first and only priority or did it also include trying to get some silverware on the way ie FA Trophy if possible? Now I know it's nice to get a cup and give the players a chance to play at Wembley but the club's future MUST take priority over any other distractions. Surely this should have been made clear to PH because anything other than promotion must be interpreted as failure. It's ok getting to the play-offs three or whatever seasons in a row but financially that is not good enough for this club without the promotion that goes with it. I'm sure that when JF was running Five Star if he had a production manager who failed to reach his production targets 3 years in a row then he wouldn't hesitate in replacing him. This is a very similar scenario and should be looked at in the same light.

Post of the day for me. Absolutely hit the nail on the head

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 68
Marinerz93
January 2, 2015, 4:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from GrimRob
We've got the fourth highest wage bill and we're currently fourth, so it's hardly been a disastrous season so far as we're more or less where we should be in the league. Not that there isn't plenty of room for improvement but you could probably say that for every team in the division with the exception of Barnet.

Quoted from Getyourfactsright

They earn an average wage at best.

Happy New year and best wishes John

How the hell have we got the 4th highest wage bill if the players earn an average wage at best.  

It should, be average wage at LEAST, it all becomes clear why we have such an average team at best.  In that regards play off's is great value for a team who earn average at best.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 68
MuddyWaters
January 2, 2015, 4:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Marinerz93

How the hell have we got the 4th highest wage bill if the players earn an average wage at best.  

It should, be average wage at LEAST, it all becomes clear why we have such an average team at best.  In that regards play off's is great value for a team who earn average at best.

I wonder, in the context of GYFR's post, what he considers the average wage to be in this area?
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 68
Marinerz93
January 2, 2015, 4:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I wonder, in the context of GYFR's post, what he considers the average wage to be in this area?

Unfortunately it is in football terms which I learned from a Chat with an ex players dad.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 68
ginnywings
January 2, 2015, 4:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Vance Warner

He was out of contract and wanted to play in a higher league for a team nearer his home - not much we could have done about that. The further down the pyramid we've fallen the bigger a burden our geographical location is. It certainly gives Barnet a big advantage over us.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.....91-detail/story.html
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 68
Eastendmariner
January 2, 2015, 4:14pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
Rancido
More or less sums it up for me I don't get to many home games blah blah but  it seems if the ship is sailing unchecked week in week out   Reactive  not proactive signing players not playing them (pointless) .players not doing the basics  totally unacceptable my granny could take a corner FFS . I don't expect a win every week  but please please Mr Hurst could we have some sort of substance  before it's too late .

Winning the league is gone ,play off's  to be honest disappearing before our very eyes like our loyal support.

Hurst and our so called professional footballers get  a grip on our situation FFS

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 68
LookBackInAngers
January 2, 2015, 4:30pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +93
The malaise at GTFC starts higher than PH who when all is said and done is only middle management.His will be the head to fall if our shared objectives are not met however I suspect that until the top to toe rejuvenation of this once proud club takes shape nothing much will change,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 68
FishOutOfWater
January 2, 2015, 4:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Vance Warner

Chicken or egg though VW?

My reading of it was that we were not prepared to carry on paying him what we brought him in for

Maybe that was Hurst and Scott just being frugal with their finances and thinking he would show us some extra loyalty but Coulson certainly stated his new contract offer was effectively him being asked to take a pay cut (akin to Bradley Wood's situation too I believe?)

Coulson said: "Obviously, it's a tricky situation. I want to be at Grimsby Town and have enjoyed my time here.

"I don't want to go too deep into it, but I didn't want to take a pay cut at the end of the day – that's what it is.

"It's not much and not a big cut but it's out of principle – I don't want to take a pay cut.

"Because the club didn't take up the option of an extra year, that gave me the chance to leave for free. It's a horrible situation for me because I have had a great time here and enjoyed my football.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.....91-detail/story.html
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 68
Vance Warner
January 2, 2015, 4:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,775
Gold Stars: 100
Fair play for doing your research! Certainly seems a strange decision looking back. I still think the point about our location is an important one. Clubs down south have a lot of talent to chose from in their local area.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In defence of Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.