Reply: 51 - 69
Maringer
January 2, 2015, 12:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,490
Gold Stars: 185
I thought Pearson was the pick of the players yesterday. Not saying much, I know, but he didn't make too many errors despite having to cover for Parslow a bit and for Thomas a lot. Bignot did OK as well, considering he's not played much this season. Mackreth OK-ish but disappeared for much of the second half, much like the rest of his midfield colleagues.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 69
BIGChris
January 2, 2015, 12:39pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from diehardmariner
Pearson looks more like the donkey we first signed than the dominant centre-half of the last two years.

Can't agree with that. For me Pearson was head and shoulders above anyone else in a Town shirt yesterday. He didnt start the season at his best but i don thtink he can be criticised for his performance yesterday.
His one on one tackle was 'Bobby Moore esque' and he was rarely beaten on the ground or the air.

i havent seen a better centre back in this league this season
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 69
diehardmariner
January 2, 2015, 12:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,592
Gold Stars: 538
For me he hasn't looked anywhere near as good as he has previous seasons.  I'm not sure if that's a result of his own form or having a lesser partner with him this time around.  For me we haven't looked anywhere near as good at the back this year since Boyce went back to Scunny.  

Pearson has been far from our worst player and his performances have been ok but last few games I've seen he's looked a bit shaky, that could be (as above) about the players around him but it doesn't change that I don't feel he's performing as he has previously.  I'm told he was immense on Boxing Day, I didn't see that game so can't comment.  

I forgot about his Moore tackle.  Credit where credit is due, that was superb.  
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 69
Mrs Doyle
January 2, 2015, 12:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Well I feel this is the pivotal period of our season how does the manager and players address this slump. He needs some new faces in and at least one pacey winger. He as to go for it feck been conservative fortune favours the brave we can not,nay MUST NOT amble along satisfied by mediocre performances still a long way to go but allowing that gap to become bigger is not an option.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 69
diehardmariner
January 2, 2015, 12:53pm
Vodka Drinker
[quote=43]I thought Pearson was the pick of the players yesterday. Not saying much, I know, but he didn't make too many errors despite having to cover for Parslow a bit and for Thomas a lot. Bignot did OK as well, considering he's not played much this season. /quote]

Perhaps I've been a bit harsh on Pearson.  As you've said he's got a right bag of shite around him at present.  
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 69
January 2, 2015, 12:58pm
Guest User
I disagree with Pearson. The standard of his play is expected of him now and he doesn't recieve the credit he deserves due to him playing at such a high standard each week. For me he would be in my top 3 players of the season and is our most consistent player. Our defensive record speaks for itself, sadly over the past few seasons we have had a top centre half along side him (Miller, Pond, Clayton, Boyce). Also this season it is a bit different for him with him being our most experienced defender if Doig and Parslow are not playing.
Reply: 57 - 69
diehardmariner
January 2, 2015, 1:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1739
I disagree with Pearson. The standard of his play is expected of him now and he doesn't recieve the credit he deserves due to him playing at such a high standard each week. For me he would be in my top 3 players of the season and is our most consistent player. Our defensive record speaks for itself, sadly over the past few seasons we have had a top centre half along side him (Miller, Pond, Clayton, Boyce). Also this season it is a bit different for him with him being our most experienced defender if Doig and Parslow are not playing.

I don't think his performances this season have reached that of other seasons but has generally still done ok, that's testament to how well he's played in previous years.    Last few games I've seen he's looked below his standard.  As many have said before, his job is made harder by those playing around him.  
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 69
davmariner
January 2, 2015, 1:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,911
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from diehardmariner

I don't think his performances this season have reached that of other seasons but has generally still done ok, that's testament to how well he's played in previous years.    Last few games I've seen he's looked below his standard.  As many have said before, his job is made harder by those playing around him.  

Agree, the same could be said for poor Aswad who did the running for two people yesterday as the person in front of him just couldn't be bothered.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 69
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.