7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
January 1, 2015, 8:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
For me the away and home performances all boil down to the type of manager is..

example away from home we can be cautious ,sit back and let the home team do the work and we defend well then nick goals and because the pressure is not on us we can get results by being patient and quite negative but it seems to work as teams come on to us..

at home this is were paul hurst as a manager is let down badly, he cant seem to understand when we are at home we should be the team pressing and attacking not letting teams dictate to us..

paul is a very cautious manager and not what a big team in our league like us need..

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 69
DocTower
January 1, 2015, 8:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Big Chris .

You put it the way 99.9 % see it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 69
Maringer
January 1, 2015, 8:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Unfortunately, I've come to the conclusion that I don't think that the squad is nearly good enough, regardless of the manager. Of course, it's now the manager's squad so if (or most likely when) they don't do it this season, I think he should be on his way.

As it stands, we're still light up front and in attacking areas. Arnold was hopeless today but we simply didn't have any other options on the bench. Our midfield was so far off the play for most of the game that it's amazing we didn't concede more goals. What has happened to Brown? He looked so lively at the start of the season, but his main trick recently seems to be just passing the ball to the opposition or losing possession in midfield!

Defensively, I've come to the conclusion that Thomas just isn't good enough. Too many errors too often and, though his crossing may be decent, his general level of ball retention and passing is just rubbish. That's 4 goals conceded in the past two games down his side of the pitch when he was caught out of position (though it looked a clear foul for their winner today). Pearson a good defender for this level but we're never going to achieve anything as long as we're reliant on him passing the ball from the back.

LJL fluffed his one chance today - needed to go for it with either foot and probably would have scored, but Pittman's first miss was very poor before he did the right thing with the chance gifted to him. Hannah did absolutely nowt as usual and, though Watson showed a couple of decent touches, it remains to be seen how effective he can be in professional football. Not sure he has the nouse just yet as he was bumped away from the ball on several occasions despite being a big bloke. Needs to learn how to lever himself in there perhaps?

At the back, McKeown seems to be making too many errors at the moment. For their winner today, if he'd left that cross-shot alone, it would have ended up as a goal kick. Instead, he again palmed the ball straight to one of their players. A bit weak for their first goal as well.

All in all, the performance was similar to that against Lincoln. Some decent chances missed. Some bad defending giving the opposition goals. General level of play inadequate with dreadful passing and a lack of pace in all areas of the field.

I'd be amazed if we were to get through the play-offs with this bunch. Perhaps we'll sign a couple of really good players to turn things around, but I doubt it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 69
chaos33
January 1, 2015, 8:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Hard to disagree with this or BC's view.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 69
barralad
January 1, 2015, 9:02pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Very disappointed tonight. I left the Lincoln game thinking that we've played a lot worse this season and won. I can only think of the Southport performance that was worse than todays. For me it was the inability to do the basic things that one should expect from professional footballers-mainly pass the ball consistently to someone else wearing the same colour shirt. Their winner started when Arnold couldn't find Thomas stood 2 yards away from him.
On today's showing the "fringe" players have done nothing to further their case for regular inclusion. Hannah's contribution (although he didn't get the service he could reasonably have expected) was nothing short of woeful-capped by berating Clay for having a shot whilst he (Hannah) was clearly stood in an off-side position. Brown put in the effort but was let down time and again by poor pass selection/decision making.
Pitman, Pearson (and to a lesser extent Arnold) apart ball control throughout the side was non-existent.
Mackreth made one or two decent runs/crosses in the first half but simply disappeared in the second.
The substitution of Pitman saw any realistic chance of a result disappear. Hurst got some stick for it at the time but Pitman clearly was feeling his thigh/hamstring.
I would have to disagree with the poster who said Arnold,LJL and Pitman looked like they'd never played together but sooner rather than later they HAVE to take the chances they are creating for each other.
We now have a break from league action for over a fortnight. Hopefully this will give Magnay a chance to get fit and can be seen as a chance for the squad to regroup ready for some very difficult looking games in the rest of January/early February.
Shaun Pearson stood out like a beacon in a sea of dross today. Gave 110% and rarely wasted the ball when playing it out of defence-a great example...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 69
samg
January 1, 2015, 9:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +373
Gold Stars: 7
All I can say is gutted - my wife went to all the trouble of paying to have my birthday message put on the screen - bought extra tickets so she could come and watch the game (it's her first game she's been to saying previously she would never come to a game)- bought me a home shirt with 40 on the back - bought me a coat at nearly £50 - and my lad bought me a signed football! So annoyed with that performance it's a shame the players can't reimburse her
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 69
oldun
January 2, 2015, 9:50am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
A nervy start from town with Macc pushing forward. A goal for Macc created by a player who should have been shown the touchline or the by line. We were having some joy down the left side and few good balls were put into the danger area which should have been converted. A Smart Pittman goal from a defensive error. Another weak headed attempt from Parslow (can he not head the ball properly?). Half time, looked like the game was there for the taking. Second half what rubbish from both teams, yes the windy conditions did not help but at school you are taught in those circumstances play it on the ground. Hoof after hoof from the back as Macc pushed forward and we panicked. The effort drained away, some players looked tired. Only one effort on goal in second half from LJL . A few hopeful long shots high and wide. Macc looked stronger and got the winner in a carbon copy of Lincoln's third. How we did not cut the cross out is any bodies guess. The best player by a mile was Macc's Whittaker a real example of a proper midfielder, the type desperately needed and I am afraid we have too many across the midfield who are too lightweight against hard working if not special teams. Macc were not great but worked for their 3 points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 69
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 2, 2015, 10:23am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from BIGChris
Didn't play particularly well in the 1st half but we had enough chances to be in a decent lead. Not sure how LJL failed to get anything on his golden chance in the first half and Pitmann too should have scored from the Shops cut back.

How many times in recent years have we conceded goals like their first one? Parslow backed off and backed off allowing their guy to run from 45/50 yards out without any semblance of a challenge. That wasn't experience just gross incompetence. Get savvy, take one for the team but foul him whilst out on the touch line if you have too and take a yellow. Naive in the extreme.

I expected us to kick on in the second half but frankly it was the most inept 45 mins I have seen for a long time. I walked from near the college to the game today. I am convinced I put far more into that walk than Nathan Arnold did in the 2nd half. He strolled his way through it, was never available, didn't attempt to close his opponent down when they had the ball and offered Thomas nothing by way of support.

Many on here campaigned for 4-4-2 yet it is so easy to play against and that is why so few teams line up like that today. As Lincoln did, they had someone between our defence and midfield and we couldn't cope.

The winner? Thomas was pulled to the ground on the refs blind side but I am surprised not to read any criticism of McKeown. I thought he should have done better with both goals.

Pearson is the one shining light. Another very good display. Some have been critical of Toto but god how we have missed him in the last 2 games ( +Magany of course)

IMO Thomas had a better game than of late but our wide players brought nothing to the game. Scott Brown re tweeted loads of stuff from his followers about why he was left out v Lincoln. Again in my view he hardly proved he should be a guaranteed  selection. Wrong choices time and time again.

Strikers missed chances but Hannah struggled to control the ball once he came on.

Very disappointed. The squad needs a shake up, do we trust the manager to do it?

It is the shocking home form that worries me and many others most. I do go to most away games and we look a well drilled organised outfit.
But where it really matters, in front of our fans/paying public we are shambolic, toothless and devoid of attacking flair.

I can stomach a home defeat. That happens in football. It's the manner of the defeats that concern me most

Something needs to change and change quickly.

Spot on Chris.

Don't you feel the signs have been there for a long time though? What you are saying has been happening for weeks/months but disguised by a bit of luck and the old 'sign of a good team if it can win while playing badly' mantra. Seems to me that people have been clutching at straws trying to find good bits to emphasise when the truth has been staring us in the face even in games we have won.

There are some reasonable players in this squad but all of them only seem comfortable in a tight formation away from home where they don't have to make decisions. Is that their natural game, was that what the manager bought them for, or is it the coaching and tactics?

When faced with the need to play a more expansive and perhaps risky game at home or even against lower opposition away, they seem predictable, incapable, lacking in ideas and confidence - almost as though they are afraid and waiting for some Subbuteo move from the manager. If Plan A isn't working they react in the only way players will always react, they just go through the motions.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 69
chaos33
January 2, 2015, 10:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Absolutely.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 69
ginnywings
January 2, 2015, 10:59am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537

Spot on Chris.

Don't you feel the signs have been there for a long time though? What you are saying has been happening for weeks/months but disguised by a bit of luck and the old 'sign of a good team if it can win while playing badly' mantra. Seems to me that people have been clutching at straws trying to find good bits to emphasise when the truth has been staring us in the face even in games we have won.

There are some reasonable players in this squad but all of them only seem comfortable in a tight formation away from home where they don't have to make decisions. Is that their natural game, was that what the manager bought them for, or is it the coaching and tactics?

When faced with the need to play a more expansive and perhaps risky game at home or even against lower opposition away, they seem predictable, incapable, lacking in ideas and confidence - almost as though they are afraid and waiting for some Subbuteo move from the manager. If Plan A isn't working they react in the only way players will always react, they just go through the motions.

I don't think they can handle the weight of expectation that our club brings to them. Big crowds scare them.

It's ok being a big fish in a small pond as Brown was at Southport, but like many other players we sign, he has wilted before our eyes as the season has progressed. He's not the only one either. Probably why they end up in the conference because they don't have the mental toughness required.

They don't have the same expectations away from BP.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 69
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.