mariner91
January 1, 2015, 6:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,619
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from RexFannies
With these players a decent manager who can understand how important tactics are or just understand tactics would have us top of the league...I don't know who that manager is but i know who it isn't.

Would they? I'm starting to be of the opinion that a great deal of our players are over rated by many of our fans.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 69
dapperz fun pub
January 1, 2015, 6:37pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,928
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from mariner91

Would they? I'm starting to be of the opinion that a great deal of our players are over rated by many of our fans.

Id agree with that but who brought these players in
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 69
Marinerz93
January 1, 2015, 6:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from mariner91

We are very guilty of this and have always done it but this happens at other clubs too.  I think we have used a bit of frustration to maybe boost that because we are desperate to get of out the Bananananarama League.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 69
davmariner
January 1, 2015, 6:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,911
Gold Stars: 79
Disappointed by certain players lack of application and tendency to hide, Nathan Arnold was the main culprit. Makes me question why I bother.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 69
TownSNAFU5
January 1, 2015, 6:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
BBC Sport showed that we had 2 shots on target out of 10.  They had 5 on target out of 7.   Not a good stat for a starter, besides the other deep-routed problems.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 69
RexFannies
January 1, 2015, 6:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +517
Gold Stars: 5
They are conference players for a reason. That reason being that those who know the game best (Not us fans mostly) don't rate them good enough for the league. Tactics at this level are as important as tactics in the top divisions. Play to your strengths and exploit your opponents weaknesses. But to do that you have to be able to figure out what they are. It's not all about Messi and Wenger, sometimes it's about Vinnie Jones and Dave Bassett. Hurst has run his races and he comes 4th or 5th usually.

The Only Way Is Up
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 15 - 69
Perkins
January 1, 2015, 7:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
The best part of today for me, was getting home from that dross and turning on the TV and finding that Estuary TV were showing a re run of the Liverpool V Town League Cup game from 2007. I know many of us were there and have probably seen it over and over but this was THE Mariners, not the so called second rate bunch that now assume the name. I know we were in a higher division then, and obviously had better players but, what was most apparent for me was the never give up, do or die, play for one another attitude that has completely disappeared over the last few seasons. Shouldn't ALL professional players have this attitude, wether they play in the Premier League or at our level?
Of course motivation is a key essence and this is what's completely lacking under Hurst. If he gives his team talks in the same laid back monotone way that he gives his interviews, no doubt most of the players are still half asleep when they walk on the pitch.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 69
davmariner
January 1, 2015, 7:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,911
Gold Stars: 79
Substitutions were poor and we should have changed it in midfield rather than change two strikers when we weren't getting anyone close to the strikers we had on. Macclesfield were there for the taking and weren't particularly outstanding. Even Hurst said we weren't outplayed, so why did we lose? Poor tactics and poor substitutions. Hurst just doesn't know how to affect a game positively in order to go on and grab a winner.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 69
Alfie
January 1, 2015, 7:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Thought the reaction of the crowd today was really telling. No venom or hurt when Macc scored but more just quiet, apathetic resignation until the full time whistle. Never looked like winning it at 1-1 and we certainly didn't look like equalising at 2-1.

Myself and others have had enough of this boring, negative football to the point of apathy now. Anyone who thinks we're even close to challenging for the title - let alone winning it still - needs their head checking. No tempo, no creativity, no idea.

Time to change. Hurst out.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 69
moosey_club
January 1, 2015, 8:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
You cant expect to win a game when only a couple of players play anything like a professional footballer.
You cant expect to win the league with a small unbalanced squad.
You cant expect to enhance the above with a manager who appears to be unable to motivate players or react to in game developments.

A real lack of quality when in possession, struggle to recall any passage of play where we retained the ball for more than three passes, players unable to complete 5 or 10 yd passes, no anticipation, basic body shape of players (Parslow in particular) when addressing the ball... all fundamentals i would expect any professional footballer to have but no evidence of it today.

Not being able to take a throw in with any ease, FFS, a basic skill of football, corners.....no further coment needed on corners.

Aimless... just kicking of the ball without looking up, not pre meditated channel balls for the strikers.. just aimless kicks where no team mates are within 30 yds, woeful.

Scott Brown was shocked to be dropped for the Lincoln game apparently...well i hope he is prepared for another shock soon as i thought he was fking awful today, as was Arnold, Parslow, Thomas, Makreth, Mckeown, Hannah (limited time admittedly but still poor).....unfortunately the non performing players were not helped by a non performing manager who failed to recognise/acknowledge our own failings soon enough and that Macc had the better of the midfield with a very fluid formation and the ever impressive Whitaker making the game look easy.

LJL and Pitman had very little to work with apart from two early chances but both should have scored with them and no doubt it would have been a completely different outcome if they had....probably what Hurst will say as well at some point.

I can only imagine that the transfer window will now bring extra defensive cover as we have looked awful without Magnay and Toto, i cant see Hamish being retained (looked bright for a few minutes but faded and not fit)  and Hannah may as well leave as he aint getting a good go at it and looks so frustrated he isnt playing relaxed and natural so we will need an elusive 30th time of asking striker to come in and one if not two support wide men.

Recent history shows we have gone downhill after Xmas....true to form then.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 69
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.