2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
LH
January 5, 2015, 6:21pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,503
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
I was in the top centre of the Pontoon along with quite of few other fans from Mablethorpe.  

Alas as ever supporting Town, this great season was to be a big "miss".  I joined the RAF as an apprentice at Hereford in Jan 72.  We were not allowed home at weekends so very few games seen.    In those days, had to reply on Telegraph footy papers sent from home.  (The equivalent of food parcels in WW", only better!).  

I still think of that last missed game beating Exeter 3-0 to get the championship.  22,000!!!

To make things worse, I even turned down a free ticket to see the Hereford v Newcastle FA Cup replay, to my lasting shame.  We had bull-nights to do and discipline was very strict.This tipped the balance not to go.  I was 3 miles away.  

Nowadays I just ask the FS for an afternoon off for midweek games and I've only  worked about 6 weekends in 6 years. Bullnight? Only a half hour job with the cleaners we have in the blocks now  .
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 14
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 5, 2015, 9:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
I remember this very well. It was only a few days after we'd beat Japan in a friendly 7-2 wasn't it? Remember Scunny hoisting a Union Jack with their name across the Ponny and then being forcibly ejected when Town fans actually turned up.  

I certainly remember the Japan game but looking at the database we did not play Middlesborough for around 16 years between 1967 and 1983, however, i seem to recall that we did play them in a testamonial for either Ron Cockerill or Keith Jobling, think they may have included some guest players as well but I am not sure they would have brought that many fans for what amounts to a friendly.

Do remember taking my young twin girls to their first game against Boro when we beat Bryan Robson's championship winning side in the mid 1990's. First time I realised what bad language we all use at matches particularly strong I recall when aimed at Clayton Blackmore who had just had a rape allegation reported against him. On a final positive note, and to this day do not know why, on entering the ground the girls were each given a wagon wheel and they thought you were given chocolate every time. Only one has stuck it out and still turns out occasionally
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 14
arryarryarry
January 5, 2015, 11:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

I certainly remember the Japan game but looking at the database we did not play Middlesborough for around 16 years between 1967 and 1983, however, i seem to recall that we did play them in a testamonial for either Ron Cockerill or Keith Jobling, think they may have included some guest players as well but I am not sure they would have brought that many fans for what amounts to a friendly.

Do remember taking my young twin girls to their first game against Boro when we beat Bryan Robson's championship winning side in the mid 1990's. First time I realised what bad language we all use at matches particularly strong I recall when aimed at Clayton Blackmore who had just had a rape allegation reported against him. On a final positive note, and to this day do not know why, on entering the ground the girls were each given a wagon wheel and they thought you were given chocolate every time. Only one has stuck it out and still turns out occasionally

28th April 1967 we beat Middlesborough at home 2-1 (5,106) Gary Moore and Doug Collins the scorers, we beat them earlier in the season 1-0 at their ground .
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 14
RonMariner
January 6, 2015, 11:15am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,666
Gold Stars: 226
Great memories.  What a fantastic season that was.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 14
barralad
January 6, 2015, 11:29am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

We played Sunderland in Cockerill's testimonial in 1969....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 14
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mike Hickman celebrates 1971-2

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.