Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lower Findus Bar (Closed)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 276 Guests

Lower Findus Bar (Closed)

This thread currently has 8,948 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
mimma
December 31, 2014, 7:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
Blundell park hotel often has visiting supporters complete with team shirts & scarves. As far as I know non of them have ever been attacked in there, or on their way to the away end. Some even go back after the game without any problems.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 69
bradzmilne
December 31, 2014, 7:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 29
I very rarely miss a home game - regardless of competition, opponent or anything other factor. So we'll work on the basis of 23 games a season (minimum).
The 3/5 group of lads that attend spend usually between £20 and £30 between us in the Trust Bar each game: 23 x £25 = £575 a season. I'm sure that we're not the only one's that spend that sort of money in the trust bar per game. Sadly though as someone that sits in the lower thought that's £575 a season that will be going into the imps or Blundell park hotel pocket rather than the trust. By no stretch of the imagination do I want to do this, but that's the reality of it.
Completely understand that you have to be careful of health and safety etc. But surely there is better methods than this?

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 69
HackneyHaddock
December 31, 2014, 8:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Thanks for coming on here and clarifying Nick, but there are a few things that are a bit alarming.  One is that the club appears to be dead against the idea of people moving around to the Osmond End for reasons of "thinning out" of support.  This may be true, but I think most people were making the suggestion that fans be allowed to move during the game, to give town more support at the end we're attacking each half.  In practice, this would more likely end up as a hundred from the lower Findus and a few hundred from the Pontoon, but could also work the other way and lead to a packed Pontoon if we're attacking it looking for a winner in a grandstand finish.  Much smaller clubs manage similar flows of fans and there's no reason the makeshift gates between the Imperial Corner/Lower Findus and Constitutional Corner/Osmond couldn't be opened.

However, the most troubling thing for me is that an agent of the football club has come onto an open internet forum and said that our supporters attack people for wearing opposition shirts.  As has already been said, this is Grimsby not Galatasaray for crying out loud.  Are you seriously suggesting, as the club's stated policy, that there are people you know of who would buy a ticket for the Main Stand at BP just so they can physically assault their choice of 14 Forest Green/Eastleigh/Dover Athletic/Woking supporters, and therefore people can't mix with opposing fans and share a drink before the game?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 69
grimsby pete
December 31, 2014, 8:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
I have supported our club for nearly 60 years,

In that time I have never seen any town fan attack an away supporter for wearing his clubs shirt,

In fact the only trouble I have seen is when the town fans have reacted to violence from the opposition fans,

NB. I did not go to the Burton game.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 69
headingly_mariner
December 31, 2014, 9:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ska face
Firstly, ta for making the effort the clear a few things up.

Understand you're not here for an argument, so not really expecting much in the way of a reply, but...

Come off it. It's clear that giving supporters other people to bounce off - as has happened in the past when the Osmond is opened for any sustained period of time - improves atmosphere. The acoustics in the Osmond are much better than anywhere else in the ground, and this noise carries all through the Main Stand and through to the Pontoon. 15 Woking fans (IIRC) made a hell of a lot more noise than 3k town fans in a 3-1 defeat last month, and I could hear them on the other side of the pitch clearer than anything coming from the right of the Pontoon.

As has been mentioned on this thread, elsewhere on the board and on countless other occasions, the backing of the fans helps the players & management and, ultimately, the club overall. I don't really understand your vehement opposition to the idea of trying to encourage this.

What are you basing this on? Of the 27 'fans' arrested in 13/14, only 2 were for violent disorder, and only 8 in total were in GY/Clee. I can't remember the last time I saw anything even close to resembling a fight inside BP, especially between home & away fans. This is an awfully misleading & potentially damaging statement for a stadium manager to be making and, to me, smacks of someone desperate to avoid any extra work.  

If you've any evidence of this very unsavoury group of youngers who'd "attack anyone in a visitors shirt", then please feel free to correct me. Though I'll not hold my breath. It worries me that someone using this kind of argument is left in charge of the management of the ground on a matchday.

Absolutely spot on!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 69
lukeo
January 1, 2015, 8:50am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
I can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading.
I haven't been to BP for a long time, but surely when we play
The 15+ teams that'll bring less than 50 fans we could let them
Sit in the main stand? Give us both the osmond and pontoon.
There's never any problems and if I did go to BP id happily have a
Pint at half time with an away fan. What I also don't get (unless it's changed)
Away fans aren't welcome In our pubs? You can't beat going to an away game
Where the club have a club house (bury is my favourite, fGR is good) and allow away
Fans in... Why are we so different to everyone else?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 69
Lambretta Mariner
January 1, 2015, 2:45pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +140
I havent always sat in the Upper Findus since watching Town but i recall when I first started going in, there used to be a smaller bar area in a room behind the downstairs food kiosk. Is that used for some corporate space now?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 69
brad_gtfc
January 1, 2015, 4:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
We need a safe standing area at BP and if that isn't option then definitely at the new ground. I had a woman behind screaming Sit Down everytime there was abit of action near the goal, FFS. Don't get me wrong she has paid for her seat the same as I have but I'm not going to sit down constantly, especially if I'm getting excited. The thing was she didn't even ask politely and we wasn't standing persistently. We should be looking to cater for all fans and it would increase supporter harmony thats for sure.

As for swearing fans at football, it's place full of passionate people and am sure people don't do it intentionally, it just comes out.
We should look into an area for family's though that is for sure, I know I wouldn't want me nieces and nephew to hear some of the language at the game. But if your worried about your kids hearing swearing, till we get that area you are taking your children to the wrong place as swearing is rife, and is too hard to police.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 69
BIGChris
January 1, 2015, 7:50pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Was the bar closed for Lower Findus ticket holders given the 3500 attendance?
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 69
moosey_club
January 1, 2015, 8:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from BIGChris
Was the bar closed for Lower Findus ticket holders given the 3500 attendance?

Couldnt tell you but i was stood in the bar doorway just before half time and two stewards were discussing the numbers in there and conversation went something like this;

"how are we supposed to monitor numbers when there are two doors?"
"i thought we were getting clickers but if there are two doors then we cant use them"
"well it doesnt look busy today"
"120 maximum doesnt sound alot does it"
"well we will just keep an eye on it and if it gets so busy so we cant clearly see the bar we will stop letting people in"

quality !!

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 69
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lower Findus Bar (Closed)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.