Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What is this bloke on???????
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 238 Guests

What is this bloke on???????

This thread currently has 10,131 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 2, 2015, 1:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

I feel your frustrations and I am sure many of echo them.

I think it is even worse than you say though. It is pretty obvious we are going nowhere under the current regime and the whole place needs freshening up to put it mildly. Changing the manager might have a short term effect (though I don't think it will happen) but the real problem is the ownership.

We need new money men  but nobody will bail him out, nobody seems to want to work with him and we have the dreaded benign loans hanging over us.

The future is bleak until somehow he gets his money back (cant blame him for wanting that - well I can but I am being generous) and we get a new start.

Its not going to happen though, so we just have to plod along I guess.  

Plod along is right. The only way JF will give up the reins is if he has a remarkably good offer and that won't happen. But I don't think it's all about money, I think he likes the job, warts and all. He likes having control of his local club so he isn't going to want to go out on a low. Hence the new ground smokescreen that he would see as his lasting monument.

It's all very understandable when you have seen your money go down the pan for years and never a promotion but it doesn't help and he doesn't strike me as being the sort of person to make himself a sacrifice.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 71
MuddyWaters
January 2, 2015, 2:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235

Plod along is right. The only way JF will give up the reins is if he has a remarkably good offer and that won't happen. But I don't think it's all about money, I think he likes the job, warts and all. He likes having control of his local club so he isn't going to want to go out on a low. Hence the new ground smokescreen that he would see as his lasting monument.

It's all very understandable when you have seen your money go down the pan for years and never a promotion but it doesn't help and he doesn't strike me as being the sort of person to make himself a sacrifice.

Plodding along is not an option. A place back in the Football League is the minimum justification for a new stadium in the eyes of many in the area whether they are football fans or not. I know many former regulars at Blundell Park who believe that a new stadium is far less important than league status, whatever the financial consequences for the future of the club. Unfortunately, there are many who believe that the club is no longer part of the community which is a really sad indictment on what has happened to GTFC.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 71
KingstonMariner
January 2, 2015, 10:36pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Getyourfactsright

I've read Paul's piece in the press and agree with it wholeheartedly.

Your thread is derogatory. Just for a minute put your self in the position of such a rude response. I bet you'd be jumping up and down!!!!!!! And asking for the thread to be removed!!!!!!

The threads about the Manager and players are, on the whole disgusting and signifies a lot of what is wrong with the club.

(Flack jacket on, hear comes another barrage of abuse)

Were in the play offs and within striking distance of the top spot. A slip up on 41 to 45 minutes when we were 1 up. Also their keeper had a very good game, it should have been out of sight by 41 minutes.

That's football.

12 games 2 draws and 2 losses and there's a call for wholesale change. Who's coming to a club that let's a manager go when we are challenging.

Whatever you all think there is massive team spirit behind closed doors. And that's a credit to how the manager actually motivates people. I don't remember Sir Alan Buckley bouncing off the walls in interviews, or making silly promises I about how we are going to cut teams up.  

It's a derby and anything can happen in those. We beat Scunthorpe last year!!!! Didn't we?

What I fear is, we will not return to the Football Leauge anytime soon with all of this negativity.

It's difficult supporting town, I know that to my countless nights lost sleep, but all this destructive attitude is offensive at times and by and large very, very unhelpful.

Players the manager and the board are human they will know just what is being said.

Does anyone out there perform better with destructive and suppressive  abuse as oppose to being properly supported.

Don't give me, as has been said before, that the players should be strong enough to take it and they are paid to take it.

They earn an average wage at best.

Can we please turn the page and give the club, Manger and players your unrelenting support from now to the end of the season.

The 13th man is vital I feel to our success.

Happy New year and best wishes John

That's it John. Blame the people with the least say in matters.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 71
KingstonMariner
January 2, 2015, 10:39pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer

Better than you it would seem. 7 home wins, 3 draws, 4 defeats so we haven't drawn and lost more than we've won!    

We have now.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 71
Maringer
January 3, 2015, 12:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,403
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from KingstonMariner

We have now.

Glad you're happy.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 71
MuddyWaters
January 3, 2015, 9:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

That's it John. Blame the people with the least say in matters.

Always easier to point the finger at others rather than accept responsibility yourself. Of course, us fans have had no input on all the corporate decisions regarding the club's future - all we've done is continue to keep a regular fanbase and therefore a regular income despite a continued failure to improve on the pitch and one of the deepest financial crises ever in one of the worst-hit areas. And it seems that now, Mr Fenty expects us not to be able to voice our opinion on one of the most dreary football teams with an equally negative manager that the club has ever seen.

In addition, the 'promised land' is a new 12-14,000 seater stadium which will never be more than 25% full with the current standard of football on offer. Getting it right on the pitch is the priority otherwise there won't be any point moving.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 71
Maringer
January 3, 2015, 10:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

In addition, the 'promised land' is a new 12-14,000 seater stadium which will never be more than 25% full with the current standard of football on offer. Getting it right on the pitch is the priority otherwise there won't be any point moving.

It would rarely be near 50% full even if we were to win a couple of promotions!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 71
MuddyWaters
January 3, 2015, 10:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

It would rarely be near 50% full even if we were to win a couple of promotions!

Quite. This is the part of the finance thing that I don't get - I know that a new stadium may generate more revenue by offering a wider range of facilities but it's going to cost to build in the first place and no matter what league you are in, you need to be a football fan to watch anyway so there would be no increase in matchday revenue, would there?
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 71
Maringer
January 3, 2015, 11:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
One thing that does often happen is that attendances do tend to go up to some degree when a new stadium is built. Or, at least, it used to happen in the past. Not sure if the same is true in the current economic climate. Whether this is due to extra investment and success of the team at the same time as the new stadium opens, I don't know.

I suppose there will be exceptions to the rule as well such as Darlington, but that stadium was a bit of an unpopular white elephant built way out of town.

I wasn't in favour of the original Great Coates site as that was just a long way away from many of the fans. The current proposed site seems a much better choice for me as it is much more central and I think the community aspects of the plan would prove a real boon to a town which needs all the help it can get at the moment, especially.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 71
grimps
January 3, 2015, 11:55am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Quite. This is the part of the finance thing that I don't get - I know that a new stadium may generate more revenue by offering a wider range of facilities but it's going to cost to build in the first place and no matter what league you are in, you need to be a football fan to watch anyway so there would be no increase in matchday revenue, would there?

If we had had a new 20000 seater stadium back in the early 90s when the idea was first floated then our gates would have been a hell of a lot higher.
Not only would more Town fans have been interested in the new stadium we'd have been able to give the likes of Man city , Sheff clubs , Newcastle ect would have been able to bring 4-5000 with them instead of the 2000 we could offer them at that time.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What is this bloke on???????

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.