Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst man management.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 245 Guests

Paul Hurst man management.

This thread currently has 4,978 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
December 30, 2014, 9:31pm
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer
The simple fact is that on Saturday, the players were the ones who fluffed their lines. Hurst not entirely blameless as I'd have thrown caution to the wind and brought on another attacker for the last 15 minutes or so, but then we might just as easily have conceded another one or two. The injuries meant that we didn't really have too many options for other changes.

We have Hamish Watson who Hurst has signed, we have Nicky Walker who Hurst has signed. Yet neither have featured, aside from 3 minutes for Watson! If they aren't good enough then I can understand why they aren't playing, but I question the managers judgement in signing them in the first place.

Reply: 30 - 49
Tom13
December 30, 2014, 10:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from 75

I think you may have a point. I can't think of too many players that start poorly and improve drastically, only the exact opposite. I know they all have jobs to do but they don't look to me like there is any joy in their work. Something isn't right, we'd be irresponsible as fans to bury our heads in the sand and pretend everything will be okay as some on this board seem to think we should be doing.

Shaun Pearson springs to mind, and Clayton McDonald, Alex Rodman, Andy Cook, LJL and Toto started quite poorly as well but have grown/grew as players off the top of my head.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 49
BIGChris
December 30, 2014, 10:22pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Just my opinion but any professional shouldn't need motivating.

Motivation to perform at your best comes from within, a personal pride. Some people have it, some people are content to go through the motions. Not just in football but most walks of life

I would think that every pro footballer has that motivation otherwise they would have remained in the local leagues. We have all seen or played with players who were incredibly skilful, blessed with ability but never quite made it. Motivation and absolute desire was probably missing in those cases
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 49
December 30, 2014, 10:42pm
Guest User
Quoted from Tom13

Shaun Pearson springs to mind, and Clayton McDonald, Alex Rodman, Andy Cook, LJL and Toto started quite poorly as well but have grown/grew as players off the top of my head.

I don't know Shaun but I get the impression he is self motivated to give everything all of the time. Clayton Macdonald, something went on there and the manager either couldn't sort it and re-intergrate him or chose not to, Rodman did improve, Cooky definitely went downhil badly, LJL has always had the effort, Toto has definitely improved after a shaky start although he always has a howler in him, tends to switch off IMO. Very much a mixed bag then.
Reply: 33 - 49
Maringer
December 30, 2014, 11:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,404
Gold Stars: 184
Macdonald has just been released by Southport as well. Not sure if that is anything to do with the furore around his partner in crime (if you excuse the pun). It will be interesting to see if he finds himself another club.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 49
barralad
December 30, 2014, 11:53pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121

Yes. Best we should leave further comment until after the Macc game? Or the Lincoln game? Or the Barnet game? When exactly are people allowed to express their views? Tell you what. Let's not say anything nasty until the end of the season eh? To paraphrase Noel Coward, let's not be beastly to the manager.

It may be boring to some but the frustrations and the number of posters/posts on different aspects of the same subject tells its own story.

It is the same handful of posters repeating the same thing ad nauseum on different threads. I have no problem with people expressing their views-just as long as my view that the criticisms since Sunday have been completely disproportionate to the events which took place is given the same respect. With a few notable exceptions all I've read is rehashed criticism about defensive play (none of which is backed up by the facts regarding team selection and the way we approached the game including corners in double figures and I think I read 18 attempts on target) and Paul Hurst's man-management skills (like anyone on here-including me- has a clue what goes on in the dressing room/on the training pitch),often from people who clearly were nowhere near B.P. on Sunday afternoon. No-one has seen fit to answer my criticism that there has been so much fuss because we were beaten by Lincoln-a defeat that some appear to believe is unthinkable. I can assure you it isn't just the Hurst critics who get frustrated.  

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 49
nickmariners
December 31, 2014, 6:37am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +513
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from barralad

It is the same handful of posters repeating the same thing ad nauseum on different threads. I have no problem with people expressing their views-just as long as my view that the criticisms since Sunday have been completely disproportionate to the events which took place is given the same respect. With a few notable exceptions all I've read is rehashed criticism about defensive play (none of which is backed up by the facts regarding team selection and the way we approached the game including corners in double figures and I think I read 18 attempts on target) and Paul Hurst's man-management skills (like anyone on here-including me- has a clue what goes on in the dressing room/on the training pitch),often from people who clearly were nowhere near B.P. on Sunday afternoon. No-one has seen fit to answer my criticism that there has been so much fuss because we were beaten by Lincoln-a defeat that some appear to believe is unthinkable. I can assure you it isn't just the Hurst critics who get frustrated.  

Agree.

It's football for God's sake -- you lose some matches. Go and support Chelski if you really believe your team should win every match.

Lincoln had some good luck on Sunday (their first goal was brilliant, as well as painful to watch); and we had several great efforts well saved.

We all hate losing, and being in Div 5 but a balanced view in the context of where we are NOW is surely that this team, this squad and this manager are good. Sundays match was entertaining too - there I said it. That's not "head in sand", that's reality as I see it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 49
oldun
December 31, 2014, 9:33am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from ackomariner

Don't click on the link then....simple

It is the only way I could post my comment

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 49
Rick12
December 31, 2014, 10:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from BIGChris
Just my opinion but any professional shouldn't need motivating.

Motivation to perform at your best comes from within, a personal pride. Some people have it, some people are content to go through the motions. Not just in football but most walks of life

I would think that every pro footballer has that motivation otherwise they would have remained in the local leagues. We have all seen or played with players who were incredibly skilful, blessed with ability but never quite made it. Motivation and absolute desire was probably missing in those cases
Agree Chris but I still think even in the professional ranks and even semi pro ranks some are more professional than others.Its a case of how much you want it and how prepared you are to go to be the best you can be.Take Christiano Ronaldo and others at Real Madrid.Reading up about them most never drink to excess and many look after after themselves of the pitch.Even in the semi pro ranks I knew a lad who use to play for Harrow and Wealdstone and he always use to be on the drink whereas he told there was one guy there who was a dedicated semi pro and never drunk to excess (something I admired).

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 49
Fcukthescunts
December 31, 2014, 10:03am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
We lost a game, very disappointing we all agree but do we need thread after thread about Hurst.
If you had 4/5th highest budget in a league and you were in top 5 at New year would you change Manager if you were on a board of a football club? Nearly all would say no.
Do I think we need to improve performances at home? Yes

I am pis sed off I replied to the thread- yes!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst man management.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.