4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 30, 2014, 11:38am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Interesting debate as for years the atmosphere at BP, particularly night games, was spot on but in recent years only recall that for Scunny and Huddersfield cup games, even home play off matches fail to sell out and lacked backin, JF's flag breaking aside.

Think seating does not help and historically the noise would eminate from the Pontoon and then Findus et al would join in but you never really hear anything out of Ponny nowadays. Maybe its seating and fact the singers, or potential ones, cannot get grouped together. It is sad that Lincoln fans have created a great atmosphere and backing at both our matches this season and this must help motivate players.

Add the fact that since the "Hearn" season we have not been that exciting to watch at home and we may have some of the reason but certainly there is a feeling of doom and gloom about the place from the moment you enter the ground
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 38
davmariner
December 30, 2014, 2:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,911
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from lukeo
2 main reasons why away fans out sing us at home..

1. all the vocal away fans are together and are there for a day out.
2. the stand were we are supposed to create the most noise has an open roof.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, i think away fans should be put in the pontoon. reasons:
1. osmond helps create more atmosphere the way the roof is slanted.
2. the away end is always empty so i'd rather see empty black and white seats than red
3. more home fans can get in for 'big games'

IF this can never happen, 5-6 years ago me and gilly got 10 of us in the main stand family stand and it created a great atmophere (again with the roofing) maybe a group of 'vocal fans' should try that?

So fans look at the roof and think "yes the roof is slanted I think I'll have a sing" ???

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 38
petethemariner
December 30, 2014, 3:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
To be fair Lukeo has a point- the acoustics on the Pontoon have definitely suffered since the corners have been made
totally open, whereas the Osmond still has one fully contained corner which holds sound better.
Not sure i would go as far as giving the ponny to away fans though, the Osmond corner is easily sufficient for just about
all away support in this league and if they haven't already done so,the club should speak to the police to make this happen IMO
Mind you,on the other if the team produced more exciting football, perhaps that  would be the answer!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 38
Badger57
December 30, 2014, 3:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30
There's no atmosphere because we play dull, boring uninspiring safety first football instilled by the most dull, boring, uninspiring safety first manager we've EVER had and it's as simple as that!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 38
AdamHaddock
December 30, 2014, 3:38pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
It's not exciting but 'safety first' is fine by me. GTFC teams of recent years that used to ship stupid goals every week are still vivid in the memory

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 38
highcliff mariner
December 30, 2014, 3:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from lukeo
2 main reasons why away fans out sing us at home..

1. all the vocal away fans are together and are there for a day out.
2. the stand were we are supposed to create the most noise has an open roof.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, i think away fans should be put in the pontoon. reasons:
1. osmond helps create more atmosphere the way the roof is slanted.
2. the away end is always empty so i'd rather see empty black and white seats than red
3. more home fans can get in for 'big games'

IF this can never happen, 5-6 years ago me and gilly got 10 of us in the main stand family stand and it created a great atmophere (again with the roofing) maybe a group of 'vocal fans' should try that?

I sat that end of the main on Sunday,usually upper . There was a smallish group of lads created a good atmosphere in that area  ..
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 38
Jaws
December 30, 2014, 4:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Home atmosphere was OK until the last third of last season. Before then the back-left was a pretty good spot in the Pontoon, Now it seems like there is a section in the middle trying to get it going but still a small core sitting with the drum - a lot of chants are disjointed. I'd love the guys from the middle to sit in the top left I think it'd improve things.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 38
arryarryarry
December 30, 2014, 5:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from barralad

Their desperation didn't translate into vocal support-even for the 40 odd minutes that there was parity or we were actually in front. Whatever happened to getting behind the team when things are going against you? The atmosphere changed for good in the instant Power scored their second goal.

Well I don't know where you sit but there were those in the Upper Findus trying to get the atmosphere going but to be fair to them when it was 0-0 and even when we went 1-0 up we were still playing crap so I still say it is up to the players to do there bit first, even the most vociferous fan will start to get p!ssed off when all you see are aimless punts forward or wingers who cannot be arsed to try to get passed a defender and cross the ball.

Private Message
Reply: 17 - 38
grimsby pete
December 30, 2014, 5:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
My thoughts are,

At away games the town fans have been drinking since 7 or 8 am,not on Terry's Bus though,

So if we want the same noise from our home fans,

The Imp will have to open at 7 am.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 38
immariner
December 30, 2014, 6:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,411
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from Jaws
Home atmosphere was OK until the last third of last season. Before then the back-left was a pretty good spot in the Pontoon, Now it seems like there is a section in the middle trying to get it going but still a small core sitting with the drum - a lot of chants are disjointed. I'd love the guys from the middle to sit in the top left I think it'd improve things.

How is sitting in that corner of the Pontoon, which has an open side, as far away from the only other stand that has people chanting as it is possible to be, a good idea to improve atmosphere? The atmosphere died in the Pontoon when people started sitting in that corner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Atmosphere

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.