Marinerz93
December 30, 2014, 12:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Maringer
Our home form isn't shocking. It's just a bit too mid-table for a team which wants to be a promotion contender. Only Woking and Gateshead have a worse home record in the top 10 teams.

Average is shocking when coupled with performances, performances which have seen gates drop after such a display.

We get twice the gates of other teams except Brizzie Rovers, opposition teams have had too much joy at BP, it's about time GTFC got out of first gear.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 31
Tommy
December 30, 2014, 12:42pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
I wasn't at the Alfreton home game this season so can't speak for that one. But usually, even when we win comfortably by a few goals, we don't seem to have sustained periods of pressure where we don't let teams get out of their half. I've mentioned my disappointment in the just back thread that we didn't do this on Sunday, but thinking about it, it is very rare that we do that in any game.

Teams that end up as champions in this league are known for being ruthless and giving some heavy beatings out at home. I'm not one that believes we have a divine right to be beating teams because of our history, but it would be a sign of our intent and our mettle if we ruthlessly dispatched of some of the part time outfits at home. Wear them down, pull them all over the pitch with passing and movement, get in behind them and get our players in their box to increase chances of winning penalties.

How often do we win 2 or 3 nil at home but come away thinking we weren't at our best or it wasn't a particularly entertaining game? Even in those games we tend to get a few goals but without putting them under pressure too much. I know it's seen as a good sign to be able to say you've won when not playing well, but performances will dictate longer term form I believe.

It's been said before and I still don't understand it personally - why we had an aggressive and attacking set-up, in and out of possession, against Gateshead and Alfreton yet have not tried to replicate this formation or approach since, despite it's clear success.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Goals and a general airing of views

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.