4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
mike_d
December 29, 2014, 12:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +390
Gold Stars: 4
We all know that Hannah can score when he's onside. It's just he needs to have help in timing his runs, angling them to cope with the delayed passing by the midfielders.. Seriously, how many times do the words Hannah and offside get offered in the same sentence..

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 31
AdamHaddock
December 29, 2014, 12:50pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
LJL is currently doing the job of two forwards - being the big nuisance who holds it up, creates havoc in the box and makes goals for others yet also trying to be the goalscorer. He's doing both pretty well but others need to start sharing the workload.

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
Stevie Saunders
December 29, 2014, 1:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
The main reason we all get so hacked off with lack of goals, losing the odd game is there is only one automatic promotion place.
It is almost double the pressure on everyone - manager, players, fans.
Ron Rafferty made an excellent point - we seem to lack 'mental courage' in and around the box to take responsibility and SHOOT!
Perhaps though that is because we don't have a natural goalscorer on the pitch - Hannah is the best finisher but he gets bullied off the ball too much and what you gain with attacking threat you lose with losing possession.
We had a lot of chances/half chances yesterday but our strikers seem 'happy' just to hit the ball anywhere, rather than compose themselves. That's what you get with non league players I guess??
Whichever league we are in next year the club needs to find an out and out predator; Hurst did it with Liam Hearn so he must know what we need surely.
So much of our final third play is wishy-washy, tippy-tappy, indecisive and simply not clinical... until that changes we will not challenge for the title.
We perhaps need the all-seater stadium to be passed as a carrot to dangle in front of a would be 30 goals a season striker... give them an extra reason to come to play for us???
Straws and clutching probably?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
grimsby pete
December 29, 2014, 1:31pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Akinde does take pens like LJL,

Barnet seem to get a lot more of them than us though,

Maybe because they attack more than us.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
ginnywings
December 29, 2014, 1:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,109
Gold Stars: 548
LJL is doing an admirable job but unless we have someone else chipping in alongside him we will struggle. LJL will never score loads of goals but has other qualities. Pittman had a few opportunities yesterday but never really looked like he had the confidence to bury them. Hannah will always struggle to stay onside because we move the ball too slowly. He made his reputation by playing on the shoulder of defenders and we just don't give him the right ball at the right time often enough.

Had we got the second goal yesterday, as we should have, then it would most probably have been a very different outcome.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
Maringer
December 29, 2014, 2:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
I think that's a good point about us moving the ball too slowly through the midfield area. I think the general standard of passing through midfield and from defence isn't nearly good enough either which probably goes some way to explaining why Hannah so rarely looks a threat. He's not the sort of striker to make a goal out of nothing and we don't seem to have anybody much who can really spot a good pass.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
BIGChris
December 29, 2014, 2:15pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Maringer
I think that's a good point about us moving the ball too slowly through the midfield area. I think the general standard of passing through midfield and from defence isn't nearly good enough either which probably goes some way to explaining why Hannah so rarely looks a threat. He's not the sort of striker to make a goal out of nothing and we don't seem to have anybody much who can really spot a good pass.

But passing is irrelevant as we play continuous hoofball don't we?
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
mimma
December 29, 2014, 2:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
The one player that we have that can spot an early ball went off injured early in the first half.

Until then we were keeping the ball & looking the more likely to score.

The turning point in the game was a wonder strike, until then we were in control.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
Maringer
December 29, 2014, 2:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Not continuous hoofing, but certainly a bit too much of it a lot of the time. Especially in home games and we're not really equipped to overcome most teams in this division aerially.

The trend certainly seems to be packing your team with big and athletic players for most clubs as opposed to looking for smaller, more skilful types so we're not going to overcome too many by keeping the ball in the air.

On another note, how did Lincoln manage to change Marshall into a player who was so hard-working in defence? I don't remember him putting in that sort of a performance for us too often!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
pontoonlew
December 29, 2014, 2:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,994
Gold Stars: 171
I thought the two strikers were okay yesterday. They set off a lot of attacks and had JPP actually taken 1 of his golden chances we may have stood a chance. Only those two and Mackreth came out with a single shred of dignity yesterday.

The problem for me is the central midfield, yes he popped up with a goal but Disley was absolutely atrocious yesterday. I lost count of how many times he lost the ball in good positions. Yes he pops up with vital goals, but is that worth all the negatives to his game? I'm not too sure. Craig Clay is not a 'home' player, far too negative but then again that's the sort of player that gets Paul Hursts male private hard. The fact he brought on Paddy with 5 minutes to go is testimony to the mans shocking tactical nous at home and his inability to change games.

A question, I don't know the answer as I'm posting on my phone, how many games have we gone behind and ended up winning this season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Goals and a general airing of views

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.