Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (Merged)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 149 Guests

Just Back (Merged)

This thread currently has 16,059 views. Print
15 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
December 28, 2014, 5:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
If Hurst thinks he's built a promotion winning side he's flipping deluded.

Joke of a performance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
December 28, 2014, 5:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Diabolical performance from a bunch of half hearted, clueless, toothless excuses for footballers. We weren't even good enough to be second best. The fact that we can attract over 7000 fans to watch this sorry lot in this poor league is a travesty.

No complaints at the score. Lincoln were quicker, more decisive and when they got behind us, which they did often, they punished us.

We simply cannot score and our wingers are nowhere near the standard required. They made Marshall look like a world beater, which tells you everything you need to know.

Not a big fan of Hurst and his boring negative ways, which is why i am an infrequent visitor to BP these days. My last four visits have seen us score 3 and concede 8, while being generally out played.

I'll not be back in a hurry.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 146
Mrs Doyle
December 28, 2014, 5:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Don't know what to say they did a job on us passed better looked more dangerous up front there first was a belter although he had bags of time to bring it down and dispatch it then the killer just before half time when we should have easily on the ball in there half instead they broke and a slick move and cross 2-1 the third was another slick move game over. There fans made plenty of noise and wanted it more. WTF IS IT WITH OUR HOME GAMES???
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 146
Mariner Ronnie
December 28, 2014, 5:22pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.81
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Glad it's out the way with to be honest, horrible side

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 146
ginnywings
December 28, 2014, 5:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

Who played far better football than us and had an end product.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 146
Mariner Ronnie
December 28, 2014, 5:25pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Your right, they knocked out 2 of our players too, cracking that, I suppose you think that's ok?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 146
Abdul19
December 28, 2014, 5:25pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Dogshit performance. A bit like the Lincoln game 2 years ago but this time they punished us. Thomas was awful and we missed Brown (not fit?).

Fair play to their fans though for creating an atmosphere.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 146
dapperz fun pub
December 28, 2014, 5:26pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81

Who looked motivated and hungry and better than us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 146
RoboCod
December 28, 2014, 5:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Thanks Ginny, was waiting for your report in particular since you nail it with minimum fuss. Could have saved you 2 minutes and let you copy and paste my report from the first encounter at Sincil Bank though.

Still waiting for my lad to ask to go to see Town but he's spent the afternoon on Fifa Soccer on his console, the wise boy.
Careful Town, a lost generation of fans are drifting away from this once great club.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 146
Abdul19

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from ginnywings

This

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 146
Chrisblor

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,678
Gold Stars: 231

Your right, they knocked out 2 of our players too, cracking that, I suppose you think that's ok?

You're having a laugh aren't you? Neither of our substitutions were the result of 'dirty' tackles. Lincoln were nowhere near as agricultural as they've been in past fixtures, Town were just complete shite and failed to turn up AGAIN in an important game in front of a big crowd.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 146
denni266
December 28, 2014, 5:28pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +635
Gold Stars: 129
hurst couldnt build anything with leggo
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 146
Mariner Ronnie
December 28, 2014, 5:29pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

You're having a laugh aren't you? Neither of our substitutions were the result of 'dirty' tackles. Lincoln were nowhere near as agricultural as they've been in past fixtures, Town were just complete shite and failed to turn up AGAIN in an important game in front of a big crowd.

No I'm not having a laugh. Though magnate couldn't play from an earlier dirty tackle.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 146
Hagrid

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,987
Gold Stars: 508
i'll try be unbiased ( unlike mr springsteen who only comes out when we lose) for 40 minutes we never looked under any trouble without playing that well, but a wonder strike got their tails up, and from then we looked ever so shaky at the back, there second goal was just poor play from our midfield and back 4 who backed off and didnt follow the men in the middle, 2nd half we looked vulnerable every time marshall and sam yorke had the ball and ran at us and thats how the 3rd came about, we had the chances to get back in the game ( but all were blocked or straight at farman in the lincoln goal) being 1-0 up at home to a side that is midtable ( forget the rivals bit) and losing 3-1 is unacceptable, we were poor today and our weaknesses exposed despite the fact we had chances to get back in the game, come away hugely disappointed as im sure others have, makes NYD a bigger game again as we've messed up against a team we really should be beating, but some credit to lincoln who did their homework on us  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 146
mimma
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
Missed Toto today, Nielson injured in the first half, as was Magney who carried on to half time.

Until then, we controlled the game up to half time, when a wonder strike brought them back in it, and then poor defending out wide caught us out.

They upped their game, we struggled to get going. The third killed it.

The injuries in the first half cost us plus poor defending.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 146
Chrisblor
December 28, 2014, 5:33pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
I think Lincoln are getting too much credit for their first. Was right down the middle of the goal and McKeown didn't react. Should have at least got a hand to it for me.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 146
AdamHaddock
December 28, 2014, 5:34pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,746
Gold Stars: 24
At least other results have been pretty kind to us

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 146
chaos33
December 28, 2014, 5:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from Chrisblor

This. History repeating. Always the same when the missing thousands give it 1 more go. 20 points dropped at home tells it's own tale, and is no platform for promotion. Really poor result and very disappointing.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 146
Perkins
December 28, 2014, 5:37pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,964
Gold Stars: 7
Hurts to say it with it being Lincoln, but we were beat by a better side. Better game plan, better passing, better everything really. Losing Neilson didn't help as before his injury he was causing a few problems for their defence. Great goal by Disley,& i thought we were on our way  Not so, a greater goal from Lincoln evened it. Once again a poor defensive error and they're  in the lead 2-1. Second half and no Magnay, injured in the first half. We huffed and puffed with no real idea while allowing their number 15 run the game, (a bit like Lennie but with a footballing brain). Another defensive mix up by town and its 3-1, and only the crossbar stopped it being 4. Then Clay has to go off injured. When we did get a chance, and TBH there were quite a few, it was kicked straight at their keeper. Disappointing to say the least, and i think most fans left BP doubting if we are good enough to keep a play off place till the end of the season. Good crowd today. but like a bloke said as we were leaving the ground, thats 2000 fans that wont be going again.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 146
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 28, 2014, 5:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from chaos33

This. History repeating. Always the same when the missing thousands give it 1 more go. 20 points dropped at home tells it's own tale, and is no platform for promotion. Really poor result and very disappointing.

And once again it's against a team that a genuine promotion contending side should outclass.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 146
ginnywings
December 28, 2014, 5:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Abdul19
Dogshit performance. A bit like the Lincoln game 2 years ago but this time they punished us. Thomas was awful and we missed Brown (not fit?).

Fair play to their fans though for creating an atmosphere.

Knowing Hurst, he dropped Brown for no apparent reason?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 146
Mariner Ronnie
December 28, 2014, 5:41pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Knowing Hurst, he dropped Brown for no apparent reason?

I don't think he's been fully fit since he's been injured to be honest, but as always lets blame hurst!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 146
Maringer
December 28, 2014, 5:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
No complaints about the result. We still struggle to compete with up and at 'em teams when they are on their game and Lincoln had way too much pace throughout the midfield and forwards for us today. Oh, the difference between our longer-range shots and theirs was night and day.

The most obvious thing for me today was that the lack of pace and running power in our midfield as compared to theirs was very telling. Their second and third goals were carbon copies of each other with a pacy break down the wing and plenty of runners in the middle not covered by our slack defence. We could have been punished on a couple of further occasions in the second half as well. For their first goal, I feel sorry for Magnay who was clearly nothing like fit enough to play, so that selection was a bad error by Hurst.

Other than that, we had more than enough decent chances to score at least one or two more goals but, as too often this season, the final shot, cross or pass just wasn't good enough.

I thought the game itself was actually played in a pretty decent spirit for a change, the odd slightly late (but not nasty) tackle aside. You can see why Lincoln score a reasonable number of goals but you can also see why they concede plenty as well as we created a good few chances without really playing at all well.

Ultimately, unless we make a couple of good signings, I think the play-offs are the best we can hope for with the central midfield options available to us. Are we capable of stringing 3 good performances to win promotion via the play-offs? Possibly, but it is more likely we'll fail to turn up for at least one of the games and that won't be good enough.

I have to say that I've come to the considered opinion that Parslow isn't really quite good enough in any of the positions he can play. One bad performance for each decent one really isn't good enough. I don't doubt we'll still sign him in January but to have any sort of chance we'll need to have the first choice defenders available as much as possible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 146
Mrs Doyle
December 28, 2014, 5:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Approval: +4,859
the first Adams was not closed down he had loads of time to pick his spot Mc Kewon won't want to see it again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 146
highcliff mariner
December 28, 2014, 5:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Ronnie I admire your optimism ,but FFS MAN .
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 146
Mariner Ronnie
December 28, 2014, 5:45pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from highcliff mariner
Ronnie I admire your optimism ,but FFS MAN .

Someone's got to be  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 146
ginnywings
December 28, 2014, 5:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic

No I'm not having a laugh. Though magnate couldn't play from an earlier dirty tackle.

He got caught by Tomlinson and never recovered. It was just a typical derby challenge, which to me showed they wanted it more. Could just as easily been any other player, including theirs.

That's football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 146
Eastendmariner
December 28, 2014, 5:47pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 22
Looking from afar, really disappointed with our result today very poor , it seems to me one step forward two steps back  as usual big game we flattered to decieve. ive seen it so many times,  let's hope the wheels don't come off in the next month. Let's brush ourselves off and start again lots of games to play very important ones alt that Utm

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 146
grimsby pete
December 28, 2014, 5:47pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I am getting fed up of thinking we will make it this season,

Only to be disappointed again and again,

Why do we always play poor and lose when we have a big gate,

The ones who want us to do well turn up when they think we have turned the corner,

Watch another defeat and will not be back for a long time,

This is costing you a lot of money Mr Fenty !!!!!!!!!!!

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 146
Mariner Ronnie
December 28, 2014, 5:48pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

He got caught by Tomlinson and never recovered. It was just a typical derby challenge, which to me showed they wanted it more. Could just as easily been any other player, including theirs.

That's football.

He went in a bit too hard for me, they did well to put him out early!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 146
petethemariner
December 28, 2014, 5:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
For reasons i w'ont bore anyone with, plus at present a  strange general apathy towards Football, its the first time i have seen
Town in a while and to be brutally honest judged on that we are a mid table side,out fought, out tackled, outpaced and out desired,
which is not acceptable, to be honest Lincoln looked more like a side capable of going up then us, even allowing for the injuries.
Central midfield is still anonymous, OK Disley scores a few, but when have we had a midfield that actually controls games? Years ago
IMHO.  Pittman and Shop caused Lincoln problems when some decent service was actually provided, but that happened all too rarely and
we play far too deep as a team in my opinion, you should compress play at home and trust your defenders to do their jobs if the
opponents counter.
Bitterly disappointed by that, had hoped attending today would inspire some more interest in me, its had the opposite effect unfortunately.
Two other things - what a strike for Lincolns first goal - d'ont think i have ever seen a shot hit with more power at BP and despite the fact that
i cannot stand  the inbreds, you have to give credit to the Lincoln fans (bar 1) for respecting the minutes silence so well and their general
support - but then again they had plenty to support, we had very little.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 146
itsnotcoditshaddock
December 28, 2014, 5:49pm

Pontoonite
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
Anyone blaming Macca for the first goal needs their head testing. Fantastic strike, nothing else to be said. I didn't think we were bad, just picked off after attempting to get back in the game. Lincoln played well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 146
ginnywings
December 28, 2014, 5:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Chrisblor
I think Lincoln are getting too much credit for their first. Was right down the middle of the goal and McKeown didn't react. Should have at least got a hand to it for me.

He gets beaten by long range efforts quite regularly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 146
Mariner Ronnie
December 28, 2014, 5:51pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Anyone blaming Macca for the first goal needs their head testing. Fantastic strike, nothing else to be said. I didn't think we were bad, just picked off after attempting to get back in the game. Lincoln played well.

This. Thank god!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 146
Chrisblor
December 28, 2014, 5:53pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
intercourse off.... Hurst doesn't even think that was a poor performance!! Total and utter moron. Aswad and Arnold didn't look remotely arsed today, no way did they give everything as you stupidly suggest.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 146
Mariner Ronnie
December 28, 2014, 5:53pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

He gets beaten by long range efforts quite regularly.

That means the defence is doing the job when they have to resort to long range shots, but to be honest, today's and Telford's where imo near to impossible to save.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 146
Chrisblor
December 28, 2014, 5:55pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker

It was hit hard but from a long way out meaning he had enough time to get in the way of it. It was relatively central and not towards the corners of the goal. Watch a replay and you'll see he was slow to react.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 146
LH
December 28, 2014, 5:55pm

Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
We're always going to concede a long range goal or two a season. It's the poorly defended goals that we can deal with better that we need to cut out - and we conceded two of those today. I can't think of any player who played better then 6/10 today. That is unacceptable for a derby game let alone being the supposed better side going into it.

We'll bounce back eventually and I'm still confident we'll make the play offs because the league is so poor but the big games don't suit us and going into the play offs it doesn't bode well.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 146
ginnywings
December 28, 2014, 5:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Chrisblor

It was hit hard but from a long way out meaning he had enough time to get in the way of it. It was relatively central and not towards the corners of the goal. Watch a replay and you'll see he was slow to react.

Poor header out from Disley too. I was taught from a young age to never head the ball to the edge of the box and he had a clear sight at it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 146
Maringer
December 28, 2014, 6:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
It looked pretty clear to me that Magnay was not well enough to play today, even before he was caught. He looked ill and was puffing and panting after just 5 minutes. If he's had one of the many chest infections currently going around, it's no surprise he struggled. Unfortunately, Thomas looked well out of sorts as well and Parslow just couldn't cope with their pacy No. 15.

I don't think McKeown had much of a chance for their goal. It might have been relatively close to the centre of the goal but was an absolute piledriver. The Lincoln keeper played well enough but didn't have to face any shots nearly as good as that. Our defending for their last two goals simply wasn't good enough.

Disley ran out of steam in the second half but I was disappointed to see that Clay was much the same as well. I don't think our current options in central midfield are good enough for a team looking for a promotion. It will be interesting to see if Hurst does anything about this in the transfer window (I tend to doubt he will).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 146
louth_in_the_south
December 28, 2014, 6:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
Quoted from LH
We're always going to concede a long range goal or two a season. It's the poorly defended goals that we can deal with better that we need to cut out - and we conceded two of those today. I can't think of any player who played better then 6/10 today. That is unacceptable for a derby game let alone being the supposed better side going into it.

We'll bounce back eventually and I'm still confident we'll make the play offs because the league is so poor but the big games don't suit us and going into the play offs it doesn't bode well.

Well if that's the long and the short of it we may as well not bother . Until we get a manager and group of players with the necessary bollox well never get promoted .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 146
RoboCod
December 28, 2014, 6:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I don't think he's been fully fit since he's been injured to be honest, but as always lets blame hurst!

So if not fit, why was he on the bench? Has Hurst made some kind of howler in signing Watson?
It' all very 'Hurst'-like.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 146
Mariner Ronnie
December 28, 2014, 6:09pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from RoboCod

So if not fit, why was he on the bench? Has Hurst made some kind of howler in signing Watson?
It' all very 'Hurst'-like.

Not fit to play a full game maybe? Hasn't done since he was injured.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 146
ska face
December 28, 2014, 6:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,342
Gold Stars: 824
Quoted from denni266
hurst couldnt build anything with leggo

[img]http://i.minus.com/iNMpEaKU59uF7.gif[/img]
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 146
WetFlannel
December 28, 2014, 6:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +395
What a reactionary message board we have here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 146
KingstonMariner
December 28, 2014, 6:13pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from grimsby pete
I am getting fed up of thinking we will make it this season,

Only to be disappointed again and again,

Why do we always play poor and lose when we have a big gate,

The ones who want us to do well turn up when they think we have turned the corner,

Watch another defeat and will not be back for a long time,

This is costing you a lot of money Mr Fenty !!!!!!!!!!!

But you'd still rather have him at the helm eh Pete.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 146
DocTower
December 28, 2014, 6:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223

We know how Lincoln play , no excuse for not knowing that . We looked as if we didn't know each other , Hursts game plan , if there was one collapsed and as usual no plan b . Got exactly what we deserved .
Over to you .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 146
Maringer
December 28, 2014, 6:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Brown hasn't put in a decent performance for months, so criticising his absence today seems a bit odd.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 146
Mariner Ronnie
December 28, 2014, 6:16pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from WetFlannel
What a reactionary message board we have here.

I think it's sad how it's more "reactionary" when we lose than when we win.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 146
KingstonMariner
December 28, 2014, 6:16pm
Meths Drinker
Why didn't Makreth start today?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 146
dapperz fun pub
December 28, 2014, 6:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from DocTower

We know how Lincoln play , no excuse for not knowing that . We looked as if we didn't know each other , Hursts game plan , if there was one collapsed and as usual no plan b . Got exactly what we deserved .
Over to you .

I think that's a great point about no plan b and its been like that for yonks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 146
grimsby pete
December 28, 2014, 6:19pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from KingstonMariner

But you'd still rather have him at the helm eh Pete.

I do unless another multi millionaire wants to take over,

Do you know anybody who wants the job ?  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 146
Mariner Ronnie
December 28, 2014, 6:21pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from DocTower

Over to you .

Ok. If you was hurst what what you have done today? Over to you and all that  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 146
louth_in_the_south
December 28, 2014, 6:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
It's also worth considering when we win , usually 1 nil with about 2 shots on goal , how many people question the team and management . Then in the heat of a local derby we crumble . Hmmm

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 146
highcliff mariner
December 28, 2014, 6:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
It's also worth considering when we win , usually 1 nil with about 2 shots on goal , how many people question the team and management . Then in the heat of a local derby we crumble . Hmmm

This  I can't remember coming away from a game this season thinking , yea we was great today .
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 146
mariner91
December 28, 2014, 6:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Well that was an abject performance. First of all, credit to Lincoln, deserved the win. They wanted it much more and outmuscled and outpaced us. If our players had their attitudes we'd have won today, that much I'm certain of. I don't think Lincoln looked particularly good, other than Adams and Sam-Yorke, but they had a game plan and worked as a team. You know what you're going to get from them especially in a derby and the fact that our players couldn't match them for effort is a travesty in front of nearly 6500 fans. I don't care what you say, if you're a player and you can't motivate yourself for a local derby in front of almost the biggest crowd you'll get in this league, then you're in the wrong profession. It shouldn't need to come from the manager, not today.

On to us. Other than Pearson who played reasonably well and I think Pittman had a half decent game we were poor all over the park. The centre of midfield is still not good enough. It lacks pace and power coupled with a lot of stray/sloppy passes today and that leaves you with very little. Parslow is not good enough, who ever thought he could play centre back needs their head examining. As Maringer said, I wouldn't bother signing him. Thomas was AWOL for their third and should have defended better for the second. Up front I thought they battled well and caused them problems. Their defence wasn't great. There were goals to be had if we could have shifted up a gear or two but we never got going and our strikers had to come deeper and deeper to get the ball from a midfield that wasn't doing it's job. Mackreth was okay when he came on, some good runs at speed but still little end product. As for Nathan Arnold, that was one of the most gutless and useless performances I've seen in quite a while. Didn't look interested second half, always seemed to make the wrong decision and I think I could count on one hand the number of times he managed to retain possession. Absolutely woeful and I'd drop him for the foreseeable future. This lad on loan Walker cannot be any worse than that.

I thought all three goals conceded were avoidable. The first was a piledriver admittedly but it is criminal to not have a man within 15 yards of him in the centre of the goal. If he's under any sort of pressure he does not score. And the clearance from Disley was poor, it's a simple rule that you do not head it out to the middle of the box. The second and third were similar and came from us being caught short and positioning ourselves poorly. You give the ball away in those areas you are asking for trouble.

The thing that really grinds my gears is the lack of positivity and ambition from our players when attacking. Far too many times when given the opportunity to advance with the ball, our players hesitate or choose not to. This is particularly annoying with the wingers, there were a number of times today when we could have had a go at them on the break but all the forward players, particularly Arnold, didn't have the heart to. Lincoln have a leaky defence, it was clear they were not comfortable with players running at them or with the ball played on the floor into feet. Yet all too often we didn't capitalise on this like they did when given the chance. Not good enough. However, I don't think this comes from the manager like some will suggest. No manager is going to suggest to his forward players to not take on defenders when on the break in a good position. I think we have too many gutless players who take the easier option and hope someone else does something. For this reason, we'll get to the play offs and fail to go up yet again. They haven't got the balls required to win in a big game in front of a big crowd.

You could argue we were unfortunate with the two injuries and Toto being banned. However, we keep saying what a strong squad we have. If this is true, it's about time some of them stood up to be counted when it matters.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 146
dapperz fun pub
December 28, 2014, 6:30pm
Special Brew Drinker

I think it's sad how it's more "reactionary" when we lose than when we win.  

I'll tell you what's sad mate is that my kids have had to watch Dogg excrement for the last decade and some of that dog shitt is non league dog shitt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 146
KingstonMariner
December 28, 2014, 6:32pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

I do unless another multi millionaire wants to take over,

Do you know anybody who wants the job ?  

Why do we need one? Oh I forgot, because we keep overspending while we fail in football terms.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 146
DocTower
December 28, 2014, 6:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

I think that's a great point about no plan b

We don't know what goes on behind closed doors , but with the tinkering we see on the field , is it a case of trying to keep everyone happy . Obvious that Aswad isn't or wasn't fit , running through treacle . I was slated for saying weeks ago that we are a mid table side , but that performance encompasses town ever since Hurst took charge . If you went to the Forest Green game were poor but got 3 points . Far too predictable , with a reactive not a proactive approach .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 146
mariner91
December 28, 2014, 6:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Today showed we are in desperate need of a winger, CM and a striker if we want to get out of this godforsaken league.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 146
Chrisblor
December 28, 2014, 6:34pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
You've nailed it there mariner91. Can't argue with any of that. Really is remarkable that Hurst can come out and suggest that was a good performance and the players gave everything. Was he watching Nathan Arnold lethargically moping around all game?

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 146
highcliff mariner
December 28, 2014, 6:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91
Well that was an abject performance. First of all, credit to Lincoln, deserved the win. They wanted it much more and outmuscled and outpaced us. If our players had their attitudes we'd have won today, that much I'm certain of. I don't think Lincoln looked particularly good, other than Adams and Sam-Yorke, but they had a game plan and worked as a team. You know what you're going to get from them especially in a derby and the fact that our players couldn't match them for effort is a travesty in front of nearly 6500 fans. I don't care what you say, if you're a player and you can't motivate yourself for a local derby in front of almost the biggest crowd you'll get in this league, then you're in the wrong profession. It shouldn't need to come from the manager, not today.

On to us. Other than Pearson who played reasonably well and I think Pittman had a half decent game we were poor all over the park. The centre of midfield is still not good enough. It lacks pace and power coupled with a lot of stray/sloppy passes today and that leaves you with very little. Parslow is not good enough, who ever thought he could play centre back needs their head examining. As Maringer said, I wouldn't bother signing him. Thomas was AWOL for their third and should have defended better for the second. Up front I thought they battled well and caused them problems. Their defence wasn't great. There were goals to be had if we could have shifted up a gear or two but we never got going and our strikers had to come deeper and deeper to get the ball from a midfield that wasn't doing it's job. Mackreth was okay when he came on, some good runs at speed but still little end product. As for Nathan Arnold, that was one of the most gutless and useless performances I've seen in quite a while. Didn't look interested second half, always seemed to make the wrong decision and I think I could count on one hand the number of times he managed to retain possession. Absolutely woeful and I'd drop him for the foreseeable future. This lad on loan Walker cannot be any worse than that.

I thought all three goals conceded were avoidable. The first was a piledriver admittedly but it is criminal to not have a man within 15 yards of him in the centre of the goal. If he's under any sort of pressure he does not score. And the clearance from Disley was poor, it's a simple rule that you do not head it out to the middle of the box. The second and third were similar and came from us being caught short and positioning ourselves poorly. You give the ball away in those areas you are asking for trouble.

The thing that really grinds my gears is the lack of positivity and ambition from our players when attacking. Far too many times when given the opportunity to advance with the ball, our players hesitate or choose not to. This is particularly annoying with the wingers, there were a number of times today when we could have had a go at them on the break but all the forward players, particularly Arnold, didn't have the heart to. Lincoln have a leaky defence, it was clear they were not comfortable with players running at them or with the ball played on the floor into feet. Yet all too often we didn't capitalise on this like they did when given the chance. Not good enough. However, I don't think this comes from the manager like some will suggest. No manager is going to suggest to his forward players to not take on defenders when on the break in a good position. I think we have too many gutless players who take the easier option and hope someone else does something. For this reason, we'll get to the play offs and fail to go up yet again. They haven't got the balls required to win in a big game in front of a big crowd.

You could argue we were unfortunate with the two injuries and Toto being banned. However, we keep saying what a strong squad we have. If this is true, it's about time some of them stood up to be counted when it matters.

Agree with all of that but, the forward player issue ? It's happened for so long now that Hurst should have already done something about it ? The man is uninspiring in word and deed .
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 146
dapperz fun pub
December 28, 2014, 6:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from mariner91
Today showed we are in desperate need of a winger, CM and a striker if we want to get out of this godforsaken league.

Agree fully.....but that's major cash for the calibre required
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 146
mariner91
December 28, 2014, 6:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from highcliff mariner

Agree with all of that but, the forward player issue ? It's happened for so long now that Hurst should have already done something about it ? The man is uninspiring in word and deed .

Possibly. If I'd been the boss today I'd have said let's get at them. I said it last night and I still think it after this game. They are a decent, hard working side but there are goals to be had against them. Alfreton (bleeding Alfreton ffs) scored 2 past them two days again and by all accounts should have had more. The instruction should have been get it out wide quickly and have a run and get men in the area and supporting. If you run at them and lose it then the full back or centre mids should be positioned to pick it up and get it moving again. If the ball is played into the strikers feet, which didn't happen enough, then the wingers need to be moving beyond their marker for a ball round the cornerl in between the full back and centre back. This didn't happen once as far as I recall. Our strikers held it up well but the wingers were never gambling. They haven't  the guts to do it, they nearly always check back if they want to receive the ball. Anyone can receive the ball further back on the wing and knock it back to the full back. Most on here could do that! A decent winger gambles and goes for it, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but eventually against a leaky defence you'll get some joy.Our wingers don't do it often enough (barely ever in fact) and I would definitely look to get at least one if not two  more wingers in.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 146
DocTower
December 28, 2014, 6:52pm
Cocktail Drinker

Ok. If you was hurst what what you have done today? Over to you and all that  

Well , I wouldn't have set up to play so narrow . Middle of the park was so congested , knowing that we haven't and never had a strong controlling midfield for some time . Knowing that Power had his Red card rescinded and would be playing , put someone to sit on him . Makreth on one wing Nielson on the other . Don't know if you feel the same but Pittman Arnold and Lewis just don't compliment each other and have no understanding of where to play the ball to the best effect .
Toto was a loss , Aswad wasn't fit , Brown not good at Mac . Walker and Hamish , well we will never know .
Seems the same story , big crowd doesn't inspire .
Still be there on new years day , to cheer them on . Must win ?

Over .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 146
jamesgtfc
December 28, 2014, 6:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
Thought first 40mins we looked the better team and then they had a cracking effort saved well by McKeown who conceded a corner. From that corner we didn't push out quick enough but it was another great effort, just that it went in.

Thought we reacted well but a careless throw in on the right hand side and they were up the other end of the pitch. 2-1 and they never looked back. Thought on the counter Lincoln looked dangerous and could easily have had 6.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 146
Mariner Ronnie
December 28, 2014, 7:01pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Aswad had to play, the only way round that was to play Doig in centre back and put parslow left back, bignot doesn't quite cut it for me, I could only think that originally he was resting mackreth, quite surprised at Arnold today, had a terrible off day agree, agree brown isn't fit, that's why he played Disley and clay presumably, and yes, I'd like to see more of hamish.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 146
HackneyHaddock
December 28, 2014, 7:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Yes it was bad and all that, but I'm more upset by the fact that we got a decent crowd in for a derby game, took the lead, could see where their weaknesses were and yet 3,000 of those fans will have left thinking "I don't fancy coming back here again" and will be spending New Year's Day with Jeff Stelling instead of being at BP.

Thomas, Magnay and Arnold didn't look fit and were wildly off the pace from the off.  Magnay has been sick, and was blowing out of his hoop within five minutes, so his inclusion shows how important he is to us.  Not enough of the other players stood up to be counted and Lincoln were allowed to control midfield.  We all know what we're going to get when Lincoln come to visit;  a physical game, in-yer-face marking and rough tackles.  We weren't up to it and Lincoln, seeming to have a bit more quality and looking much better on the ball than last season, exploited this.

Having said that, we took  four points off them last season and it didn't get us anywhere.  We'll have to hope we'll get the last laugh by getting promoted, but at the moment it's looking like the playoffs at best as we don't seem to be able to put the poorer teams to the sword.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 146
DocTower
December 28, 2014, 7:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Aswad had to play, the only way round that was to play Doig in centre back and put parslow left back, bignot doesn't quite cut it for me, I could only think that originally he was resting mackreth, quite surprised at Arnold today, had a terrible off day agree, agree brown isn't fit, that's why he played Disley and clay presumably, and yes, I'd like to see more of hamish.

Think like you , you just listen to the squad being announced and try to work out the system . We still need a leader on the pitch . I know it's one game , but it's the manner of the defeat . On paper we have a good set of players but , to me our manager doesn't know how to get the best out of them . Grinding out results due to backs to the wall defending won't bring back the fans .
With Mac loosing to Bristol , going to be an interesting game on Thursday .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 146
BIGChris
December 28, 2014, 7:27pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Poor decision making at key times made it an up hill battle.

I thought Lincoln started e better for 10 mins or so then we took control. Typical Disley goal and we then should have done better when well placed to increase the lead. From the right Nielson (?) should have drilled it across low for Pitmann to tap home but crossed high and over everyone. Pitman then did the same from the left. Simple balls in and the game was over.

Their equaliser was very well struck, it was central so maybe Mc known ought to have got something on it? Having said that I guess the ball was swerving around?

Shocking to concede the 2nd, we must have had 7 men behind the ball but they got beyond Thomas and the ball found Power in space to slide in. Nobody took control and having bodies back is useless if they simply watch.

Despite what some felt we had enough chances in the second half to have won the game but we seemed to hit every effort at Farmans legs. This is something we have done all season.
We have had just about the most on target efforts in the league but have nowhere near the goals to reflect this.

Thomas was again caught up field for their 3rd and this is a pattern. His recovery runs are non existent. Several players were having a go at him. Justifiably in my view too.

To Lincolns credit they got men forward at pace on the counter and should have scored at least one more. They weren't great though and on another day more of our 18 efforts would have resulted in more goals.

Though Parslow is ok in the air but otherwise a liability on the floor, Bignot looked like he hadn't played for months, enough said about Thomas. Nielson was injured but when we were crying out for width he never got near the touch line before going off. Arnold  had a lot of stick but I wouldn't question his effort just his decision making. Twice in the 2nd half he was in possession and we had a 3 on 3 but he just gave the ball away sloppily. He had to power at the defender to commit and then slip players in or if they backed off keep going. He did neither.

Pitmann in flashes was decent enough, Clay was ok but my MOM by a country mile was Pearson.

Surprised that even when we were in the lead and on top how quiet the crowd were.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 146
mariner91
December 28, 2014, 7:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris
Twice in the 2nd half he was in possession and we had a 3 on 3 but he just gave the ball away sloppily. He had to power at the defender to commit and then slip players in or if they backed off keep going. He did neither.

This is something nearly all our players are guilty of in most games but Arnold was particularly bad today.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 146
GrimExile
December 28, 2014, 7:41pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
My god guys, we are a Conference side with as good a manager at this level as we can get. If Paul Hurst was to be sacked (with the team in 4th place I might add) then who on earth do you get in to make things better. Of course it was an awful result and display but aren't we letting our emotions take over from sensible constructive thought? We do not have a devine to be promoted, we just have to be realistic and support the manager and the team. The reaction of half the posts on here are almost as depressing as the result itself. Come on guys lets get in the real world. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 146
ackomariner
December 28, 2014, 7:47pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from mariner91

This is something nearly all our players are guilty of in most games but Arnold was particularly bad today.

And at Macclesfield , also shitting out of tackles to. Don't get me started about parslow, sooner he clears off back to York the better

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 146
GrimExile
December 28, 2014, 7:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Further to my above post I see Mr Fenty is on here and I hope has read my post. Please note John that as in every aspect of life it is always the minority that shout the loudest. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 146
Abdul19
December 28, 2014, 7:50pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Maringer
Brown hasn't put in a decent performance for months, so criticising his absence today seems a bit odd.

2 days ago, before being taken off (hence my question)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 146
Helgy
December 28, 2014, 7:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
Didn't want to say much before the game but since Simmo has gone we have a Lincoln lad in charge and he's really changed things.
It was all a bit clueless under Simmo but we are seeing subs made at the right time and a great team spirit 5 league wins out of 6 for us.
Adams has been a massive signing from Birmingham ran the show against Alfreton and was excellent again today.
Though after 1-0 that was it for us but we dug in and struck back right on HT.
Next game fecking Alfreton again for the 5th time this season.
Over reaction today was all flags were banned for being offensive by the police a Lancaster bomber over the cathedral?
Good job they didn't see mine devil worship  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 146
Tom13
December 28, 2014, 7:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Disappointed not to see Doig start today, he's probably just as good as Parslow in the air but can actually read the game and tackle, Parslow was desperately poor today and really struggled with their big lad up top. Felt many times during the game Toto would've easily shrugged him off or put him into the stands and immediately stopped an attack.

Thought once Mackreth had to come off the bench for Neilson we were seriously lacking game-changers on the bench - would anyone honestly say McLaughlin or Hannah would change a game? I've not seen any such evidence in their Town careers. At least some raw pace on the bench would've helped today to change the game - not that it mattered too much due to 2 subs having to be made before the 2nd half even started through injury.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 146
TownSNAFU5
December 28, 2014, 7:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
They seemed to want to win more than us.  They had a slight edge in most positions, and overall. The curse of the large crowd struck again.

At 1-0 we had 2 reasonable chances to get a second goal.  Firstly with a missed pass to Mackreth when he was free in front of goal, the second when a Mackreth header missed the target.

Lincoln's first goal was a great shot.  The second and third goals were identical.  Pace down the right to the byline, low cross to at least 2 players waiting just in front of goal.  You could see it coming each time.

Lincoln attacked in numbers and at pace (for NL players).  Not quite like Oxford but too good for us on the day.

We tried hard to score but their defence and keeper were good enough.  They were dominant in the air at the back.  

We had no luck with injuries but were still well-beaten at the end.  It was not our day.  

If we beat Macc on 1 Jan we will have 3 wins against promotion rivals in less than 2 weeks.  All is not lost then.  (We do need more goals though to go up).  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 146
ackomariner
December 28, 2014, 7:58pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Helgy
Didn't want to say much before the game but since Simmo has gone we have a Lincoln lad in charge and he's really changed things.
It was all a bit clueless under Simmo but we are seeing subs made at the right time and a great team spirit 5 league wins out of 6 for us.
Adams has been a massive signing from Birmingham ran the show against Alfreton and was excellent again today.
Though after 1-0 that was it for us but we dug in and struck back right on HT.
Next game fecking Alfreton again for the 5th time this season.
Over reaction today was all flags were banned for being offensive by the police a Lancaster bomber over the cathedral?
Good job they didn't see mine devil worship  

Pleased for you mate, you totally deserved the win

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 146
Maringer
December 28, 2014, 7:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Another thing that really gets my goat is the number of times our defenders have free, unchallenged headers and basically just head it as far forward as they can, even if it ends up nowhere near any of our players. On numerous occasions we do this, just giving the ball away instead of trying to lay it off to one of our players in midfield. All of our central defenders are guilty of this, from what I've seen. If under pressure, I understand you often just have to get it clear, but we just try and put it as far forward as possible every time, even when in plenty of space.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 146
DocTower
December 28, 2014, 8:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from GrimExile
My god guys, we are a Conference side with as good a manager at this level as we can get. If Paul Hurst was to be sacked (with the team in 4th place I might add) then who on earth do you get in to make things better. Of course it was an awful result and display but aren't we letting our emotions take over from sensible constructive thought? We do not have a devine to be promoted, we just have to be realistic and support the manager and the team. The reaction of half the posts on here are almost as depressing as the result itself. Come on guys lets get in the real world. UTM

The real world , we have produced yet another poor performance in front of a yet another bumper crowd , the majority of who won't return very soon . Good money spent , too many times too many off days . Trouble is this problem never gets addressed .
If you can't get inspired in front of a big crowd your in the wrong job .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 146
ska face
December 28, 2014, 8:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Think we missed Toto desperately today. Absolute lack of pace at the back was our downfall, N'siala gives us that cover when we get caught. Also thought distribution from the back was urine poor, only thing that came from the back without being intercepted/lost were punts towards LJL who battled but struggled against Brown & Bencherif. Though not perfect, Toto's distribution is infinitely better than what we saw today, can usually pick a pass through midfield along the floor and isn't afraid to bring the ball forward out of defence.

Don't get me started on Parslow.
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 146
ackomariner
December 28, 2014, 8:08pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

2 days ago, before being taken off (hence my question)

Bang on, and was wondering why he was dropped when today's game would have suited him more than clay IMO

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 146
RoboCod
December 28, 2014, 8:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
And what of Towns corners? At one stage we had 3 in a row, in any other game under any other team this would be seen as pressure, the fans of the team defending the relentless onslaught just knowing it was going to go in eventually. At BP fans don't even bother getting out of their seat for corners, so useless are they.
Seriously, how can a team who can't even take a corner expect to gain promotion? It's embarrassing and amateurish and it's about time Hurst acknowledged it and gave us some idea of just when or how it's going to be addressed.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 146
TownSNAFU5
December 28, 2014, 8:13pm
Vodka Drinker
We are great at heading balls to the opposition.  Sometimes our headed clearances are so "weak" they have to wait for them to come to ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 146
Mariner Ronnie
December 28, 2014, 8:26pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from DocTower

Think like you , you just listen to the squad being announced and try to work out the system . We still need a leader on the pitch . I know it's one game , but it's the manner of the defeat . On paper we have a good set of players but , to me our manager doesn't know how to get the best out of them . Grinding out results due to backs to the wall defending won't bring back the fans .
With Mac loosing to Bristol , going to be an interesting game on Thursday .

A good win Thursday will help put this behind us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 146
GrimExile
December 28, 2014, 8:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
The please tell me what your solution is Table Wine Drinker. You can't criticise blankly without a solution surely? UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 146
moosey_club
December 28, 2014, 8:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Brown would have been dropped for two reasons......
1. He has been playing sh1t..
2. Probably chose Clay with one eye on the average height of their squad..

Not a bad call really and not one i would particularly pick fault with.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 146
Mariner16
December 28, 2014, 8:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +478
Gold Stars: 4

Good hit but Mackreth was too slow on the short corner played to Newton, who has one of the best left foots I've seen in this league.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 146
BIGChris
December 28, 2014, 8:52pm
Season Ticket Holder
According to BBC site Macclefield could only name 3 subs today.
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 146
Freemoash88
December 28, 2014, 8:54pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 2
I'll keep this simple

1) Why did we play Hoof ball when we was being out battled in the Air from basically kickoff.

2) When we played the ball on the deck and made the simple 1-2s and got creative Lincoln struggled <------ Hurst should of told the players this at halftime

3) Mclaughlin Actually changed the game for us in the last remaining minutes and should of come on alot sooner he gave us alot more creativity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 146
Teesknees
December 28, 2014, 8:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from Maringer
Another thing that really gets my goat is the number of times our defenders have free, unchallenged headers and basically just head it as far forward as they can, even if it ends up nowhere near any of our players. On numerous occasions we do this, just giving the ball away instead of trying to lay it off to one of our players in midfield. All of our central defenders are guilty of this, from what I've seen. If under pressure, I understand you often just have to get it clear, but we just try and put it as far forward as possible every time, even when in plenty of space.

I agree about the unchallenged headers going nowhere near our players, I think that applies to when it was just booted aimlessly into the oppositions half as well!  My son, who came with me and doesn't go very often, wondered if they actually practice that! Does Hirst instruct them to boot it or head it anywhere, so it then comes straight back and creates more pressure!
My 260 mile round trip today cost maybe £100 for the two of us, I don't mind that if I can see a performance that shows committment and some promise even if they lose. But it was awful... we don't seem to be able to pass it 5 or 10 yards to our own players.. Arnold was maybe the main culprit..... and when it was booted forward for one of our players to head on.. it's headed into no one.. it's hit and hope! Surely it's better to pass it from one of our players to another, I know that sounds a radical idea!!...  but it was awful!
And I know it's been said earlier, but with a good crowd in today how many will be put off by that lack of a performance.. I know my son and I will.
I'd rather stay at home and worm the cat!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 146
arryarryarry
December 28, 2014, 9:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113

That means the defence is doing the job when they have to resort to long range shots, but to be honest, today's and Telford's where imo near to impossible to save.

Shame they didn't do their job for the other two.

Private Message
Reply: 92 - 146
chicaneuk
December 28, 2014, 9:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 5
Well *just* got back home after a lengthy slog back down the M1. Pretty galling day for me really having spent about 8 hours all told in cars to get to and from the game, only to watch that.

Not sure if it's just the usual stage fright we seem to get when we get a big crowd in, but nothing to add beyond what's already been said here. We just didn't seem to turn up. I'm more convinced than ever that we need a change of leadership. I think we're going to need to see out this season as I think it'd be crazy to change the manager now but this has to be his final season.

I think we have the players - they just need some motivation and new direction.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 146
arryarryarry
December 28, 2014, 9:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Spot on apart from we need two wingers because the two he is playing at the moment are no where near good enough.

Private Message
Reply: 94 - 146
DocTower
December 28, 2014, 9:11pm
Cocktail Drinker

A good win Thursday will help put this behind us.

And a good sleep tonight .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 146
DocTower
December 28, 2014, 9:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Spot on apart from we need two wingers because the two he is playing at the moment are no where near good enough.

Think they would be if they were play as wingers . Spread the game use the space , we were to narrow with no where to go . However they are playing to the managers instructions .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 146
ackomariner
December 28, 2014, 9:21pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from DocTower

Think they would be if they were play as wingers . Spread the game use the space , we were to narrow with no where to go . However they are playing to the managers instructions .

Exactly this......playing defensive 1st...2nd and 3rd

He bought in forward thinking players this season and it's now been coached out of them

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 146
arryarryarry
December 28, 2014, 9:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker

So if he is not fully fit, how come he started at Macclesfield?

Private Message
Reply: 98 - 146
WetFlannel
December 28, 2014, 9:25pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +395
Really can't wait for some of you to wake up tomorrow and see the nonsense you've written. Stop acting like a Lincoln game is a rivalry by the way. That would suggest respect for what I class as a little club who bring 800 away fans to their biggest day of the season! The second we consider this more than a bad performance against a lesser club and no worse than the Southport etc results the more we can look at the bigger picture. We're in the playoffs and have the potential to get promoted, which is our goal. We won 1-0 with an excellent defensive display against Macc on the 26th. Losing on the 1st to a more relevant team would be a bigger blow, a single bad performance days after playing a bigger game to a team who see this as their FA Cup final is not worth calling an entire season off for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 146
barralad
December 28, 2014, 9:26pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from DocTower

We attacked down both wings today.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 146
arryarryarry
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from DocTower

You mean Hurst tells Arnold to go out there and look totally uninterested, give short passes and take crap corners.

Private Message
Reply: 101 - 146
Mariner Ronnie

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

So if he is not fully fit, how come he started at Macclesfield?

He was subbed

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 146
barralad
December 28, 2014, 9:28pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from ackomariner

Exactly this......playing defensive 1st...2nd and 3rd

He bought in forward thinking players this season and it's now been coached out of them

We weren't great defensively but to say we were set up defensively with the likes of Arnold, Pitman and Neilson in the side is stretching the bounds of reality....

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 146
ackomariner
December 28, 2014, 9:36pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from barralad

We weren't great defensively but to say we were set up defensively with the likes of Arnold, Pitman and Neilson in the side is stretching the bounds of reality....

Not just on about today m8, but in general .

Fans will start singing boring , boring Grimsby soon. Just like they did with arsenal whilst George graham was their manager.......get a goal up and defend that lead.

That's why fans are staying away, it's so bloody boring to watch

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 146
arryarryarry
December 28, 2014, 9:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker

He was subbed

I know he was subbed so why did he start?
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 146
Mariner Ronnie
December 28, 2014, 9:49pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

I know he was subbed so why did he start?

He didn't play the full game because he was unfit.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 146
December 28, 2014, 9:52pm
Guest User
Quoted from ackomariner

Not just on about today m8, but in general .

Fans will start singing boring , boring Grimsby soon. Just like they did with arsenal whilst George graham was their manager.......get a goal up and defend that lead.

That's why fans are staying away, it's so bloody boring to watch

I would take boring 1-0 wins for the rest of the season if it meant us getting out of this league. The priority is getting league football and keeping the club alive financially. Would you be prepared to have another 5 seasons of non league football if we played attractive football? Woods teams played some good football and look where that got us. Slade was our most successful manager in the last 15 years and did he play attractive football? Results attracts people to watch Town not a  style of play.
Reply: 107 - 146
mariner91
December 28, 2014, 9:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1739

I would take boring 1-0 wins for the rest of the season if it meant us getting out of this league. The priority is getting league football and keeping the club alive financially. Would you be prepared to have another 5 seasons of non league football if we played attractive football? Woods teams played some good football and look where that got us. Slade was our most successful manager in the last 15 years and did he play attractive football? Results attracts people to watch Town not a  style of play.

When?!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 146
arryarryarry
December 28, 2014, 10:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker

He didn't play the full game because he was unfit.

Knock, knock, knock, is there anybody there?
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 146
ackomariner
December 28, 2014, 10:09pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from 1739

Will never have promotion with this manager...and IMO I would say this boring football is keeping fans away.

We were second and lost 800 fans ...what's that telling you

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 146
Eastendmariner
December 28, 2014, 10:13pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 22
Weflannell  some good points  We all know getting out of this nightmare crap League was not going to be easy.Its brokken alot  of very loyal fans to Grimsby . Losing today was  a Real downer Hurst won't change Our season isnt over but we need to start playing as a team again. Bristol R Will win the League that leves us with Barnet Eastleigh Gateshead  maccs T  WHO in a playofff can easily beat us. I'm annoyed we løst  I would love to see Town go up  but this  League is Harder than Winning the Champions League  thursday is Big game UTM

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 146
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 28, 2014, 10:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,510
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from barralad

From my perspective Mariner91 and Big Chris have done pefect summaries of what we saw today. In respect of our "wingers" In the last two home games I cannot recall either trying to go outside their full back. Arnold had numerous opportunities in 3 v 3 situations to try and go round his man but rather wait for Thomas to run 50/60 yards only to give him a totally crap ball.

Big Chris is right when he says at 1-0 we had two situations which with a bit of poisecwould have seen us 3-0 up and game over. I find it hard to criticise anyone for their first goal, great strike and you just have to accept that on occasions these "worldies" do happen.

We are as others have said very slow and predictable in our forward play and we need improvement in centre mid and out wide otherwise our inconsistency will continue. Not a fan of Parslow but in support of Thomas thought he was fouled prior to their break for the third goal, however, the ref allowed quite a bit of physical contact today and to be honest thought he did ok.

Will probably turn out for the Barnet game but after that unless some new players come in will stick to golf on a Saturday.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 146
Mariner Ronnie
December 28, 2014, 10:19pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Knock, knock, knock, is there anybody there?

excuse me?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 146
wigworld
December 28, 2014, 10:31pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 29

excuse me?

No, no, no. You're supposed to say, "Who's there?".

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 114 - 146
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 28, 2014, 10:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

From my perspective Mariner91 and Big Chris have done pefect summaries of what we saw today. In respect of our "wingers" In the last two home games I cannot recall either trying to go outside their full back. Arnold had numerous opportunities in 3 v 3 situations to try and go round his man but rather wait for Thomas to run 50/60 yards only to give him a totally crap ball.

Big Chris is right when he says at 1-0 we had two situations which with a bit of poisecwould have seen us 3-0 up and game over. I find it hard to criticise anyone for their first goal, great strike and you just have to accept that on occasions these "worldies" do happen.

We are as others have said very slow and predictable in our forward play and we need improvement in centre mid and out wide otherwise our inconsistency will continue. Not a fan of Parslow but in support of Thomas thought he was fouled prior to their break for the third goal, however, the ref allowed quite a bit of physical contact today and to be honest thought he did ok.

Will probably turn out for the Barnet game but after that unless some new players come in will stick to golf on a Saturday.

A lot of truth there. I suspect the wingers are scared to go down the outside for fear of losing the ball and being out of the game because we are an 11 man defensive side. No attacking passengers are allowed. Rule One it seems is to be goal side as soon as the opposition has the ball. In fact most of the best crosses come from LJL or Pittman after a ball down the channel. The plan is boring but fair enough if like Slade and McMenemy you get a player with pace to exploit a breakaway plus a reliable finisher, but we don't have either.

Today might be a useful lesson but the omens for learning don't seem good. Several times in recent games we have been lucky when, in spite of our defensive midfield strategy, players have still been able run at us through the middle, today that luck ran out.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 146
chaos33
December 28, 2014, 11:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Agree entirely.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 146
davmariner
December 29, 2014, 12:09am
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
Quoted from chaos33
Agree entirely.

Any indication as to how McLaughlin is feeling? I'd feel pretty p1ssed off if I were him.

What does the kid have to do to get a run out in his proper position??

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 146
TownSNAFU5
December 29, 2014, 12:24am
Vodka Drinker
Neilson did not give us an outlet on the right wing.  He played more in field (whilst he was on).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 146
LH
December 29, 2014, 12:27am

Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
At one point he was so confused about where he was playing he took it from RM to LM. If we're going to play him I'd like to see him behind the forwards.
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 146
tonyfordsmicrofro
December 29, 2014, 12:41am

Lower Findus
Rep Score: +37 / -4
Approval: +26
I've just got back via getting drunk up and my thoughts still  are.....

We were flipping excrement and deserved to get beaten.

UTM and all that.

You fill up my senses,
Like a barrel of Tetley's,
Like a packet of Woodbine,
Like a good pinch of snuff,
Like a night out in Cleethorpes,
Like a greasy chip butty,
O, Super Black and Whites,
Come fill me again
Na na naa naa naa naaaa TOWN!!
Na na naa naa na na naaaa
Na na naa naa na naaa naaa
Na na naa naa naa naaaaaaa!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 146
TAGG
December 29, 2014, 12:45am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Quoted from tonyfordsmicrofro
I've just got back via getting drunk up and my thoughts still  are.....

We were flipping excrement and deserved to get beaten.

UTM and all that.

I'm drunk too love it

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 146
DocTower
December 29, 2014, 7:36am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Neilson got taken out early , if there was a game plan that changed .  There were times when 20 players were almost stood together . Far to narrow knowing how slow we are .
Game lost , big one on Thursday . Who's going to be fit ?  
Big decision time now for Hurst , players in , players out , change style .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 146
barralad
December 29, 2014, 8:20am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from DocTower

Neilson got taken out early , if there was a game plan that changed .  There were times when 20 players were almost stood together . Far to narrow knowing how slow we are .
Game lost , big one on Thursday . Who's going to be fit ?  
Big decision time now for Hurst , players in , players out , change style .

We'll have to agree to differ. An awful lot of Town's attacking in both halves went down both flanks..

As for Thursday it may be a case of whoever is fit plays...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 146
mariner91
December 29, 2014, 10:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Anyone else think of this when they scored their equaliser? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGLSeWYCggw

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 146
diehardmariner
December 29, 2014, 11:05am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Not for the first time this season, Hurst got it wrong tactically.  Lincoln packed the middle of the park and dominated us in there.  Power sat between their midfield and attack, completely controlling the play and we did nothing to pick him up.  

Selection wise, I don't think Hurst did a lot wrong.  Clay over Brown because of the height issue was fair enough.  Neilson over Mckreth after a heavy game on Friday.  Arguably Magnay should have been given another game to recover but sometimes you don't know how players will cope until they actually play.

Most frustrating thing for me was that we got drawn into another long ball game with Lincoln, even more frustrating considering the early joy we had playing Pittman on the last shoulder early on.  

The above said though, you can only blame tactics or selections so much when your players choke on the day.  That's what happened. They froze.
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 146
Garth
December 29, 2014, 1:11pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from barralad

I must have nodded off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 146
Les Brechin
December 29, 2014, 3:21pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
Holding my hands up here. I missed the game on Sunday (First home game I've missed this season) as I was visiting my brother in Surrey.

I watched the highlights this morning though and I'm surprised there has been no mention of the performance by Lincoln's goalie. I know they had a goal disallowed and hit the frame of the goal but , I don't know if those highlights were biased towards us but it seemed that we had plenty of chances and their keeper made several great saves.

As I said, I can only go on the highlights but it looked to me that we could just as easily have won that.

Brilliant strike for their equaliser though. 9 times out of 10 they go flying over the top of The Pontoon!  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 146
Maringer
December 29, 2014, 3:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Their keeper certainly played pretty well (and his kicking was hugely better than McKeown's), but most of the shots were pretty much straight at him so he didn't have to do too much with them. I think we should certainly have been more clinical for one or two of those chances and at least made him work harder. And, of course, the wasted chances when we were in the lead were a big problem. No real excuse for messing up 2 or 3 really good scoring opportunities like that. Pittman's cross for the goal was perfect but the other crosses were poor.

We certainly had enough chances to score a few goals but a combination of poor defending and poor finishing made the performance look all the worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 146
Madeleymariner
December 29, 2014, 4:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Simple difference between the 2 sides, they targetted and took out our most influential players by kicking them in the air early on and they had three big strong fast players up front who when they got the ball aimed straight for the goal or byline as soon as they could with another 4/5 players flying into the box ready for the cross, unlike ours who got booked for soft cynical challenges (Neccesary in both cases) and  but why didnt they try to hurt them at the same time as they were obviously going to get yellow cards. and our wingers who simply turn back inside at every opportunity instead of flying forward and hitting the byline. We lacked pace everywhere on the pitch. Best players Pearson by a mile then Lenny Pitman and Clay, the rest should have stayed at home. Wish I had.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 146
ska face
December 29, 2014, 4:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Their keeper certainly played pretty well (and his kicking was hugely better than McKeown's)

what?

McKeown shanked one out for a throw, towards the end of the first half, and that was the only issue with his kicking yesterday. How the intercourse you've made that summation I'll never know.

McKeown gets unfairly criticised for his kicking, mainly because he's built up a reputation as a result of comments like the above going unchallenged.

There's a hell of a lot more to a keeper's distribution than booting it downfield as far and high as possible. If you've got someone as good in the air as LJL effectively playing alone up there & waiting for support to catch up with him, or make runs in behind him, then it's a good tactic to hang kicks up in the air. It's just a shame that they had two centre-backs about 6'5'' each and we didn't have a great deal going on in the final third.

For what it's worth, their keeper had hooked a few out towards the left-hand touchline during the second half, but these were kept in due to the better workrate in their midfield.
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 146
Helgy
December 29, 2014, 5:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
The away holds 1800 is that right?
Apart from the empty corner bit and the odd empty seat. Struggling to see how a further 1000 would have squeezed into the away end.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 146
Madeleymariner
December 29, 2014, 5:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
How much to buy that Sam York guy and can we have Marshall back please?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 146
BIGChris
December 29, 2014, 6:03pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Helgy
The away holds 1800 is that right?
Apart from the empty corner bit and the odd empty seat. Struggling to see how a further 1000 would have squeezed into the away end.

The 'Corner bit' holds about half plus there were plenty of empty seats in the bottom right ( when looking from the pitch)
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 146
Helgy
December 29, 2014, 8:37pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Marshall has been a bit of a weak link but last 2 games has come good and banged in two, Sam Yorke in and out the side at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 146
Les Brechin
December 29, 2014, 8:58pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168

Why on earth would you want Marshall back. We've got enough players who give us one good game in every ten!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 146
BIGChris
December 29, 2014, 9:01pm
Season Ticket Holder

Sam-Yorke is a Cambridge player on loan to Lincoln. PH asked about him last summer but he chose Lincoln because he had been on loan there last season and knew the squad.

Would you seriously  want Marshall back?
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 146
Hagrid
December 29, 2014, 9:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,987
Gold Stars: 508
Quoted from BIGChris

Sam-Yorke is a Cambridge player on loan to Lincoln. PH asked about him last summer but he chose Lincoln because he had been on loan there last season and knew the squad.

Would you seriously  want Marshall back?

Never in a million years
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 146
Tommy
December 29, 2014, 10:57pm
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Lincoln fully deserved their 3 points, and played as well I've seen them since we've been down here.

Felt like we were shading the 1st half and looking the most likely to score the 2nd goal. If Pittman squares along the floor instead of lofting in the air Mackreth has a tap in 6 yards out. Lincoln were having one or two breaks but not doing a great deal with them 1st half. York up front appeared dangerous with his pace but i actually thought he was a bit of a donkey with the ball at his feet. One time he skinned one of our defenders for pace but then shanked the ball out for a goal kick when running with the ball.

A few others have said it already but I thought McKeown should've done better with their equaliser. It was technically a great clean strike but it was nowhere near the top corner as some have suggested. And a shot from 25-30 yards hitting the net in the middle of the goal is one the goalie should be saving IMO. That obviously gave them a lift and we looked to be feeling sorry for ourselves for a few minutes. Their 2nd was all too easy for them and you could see it coming as they strolled up our left side and crossed without much of an attempt to delay the attack.

Second half we got caught out at the back several times and a better side would have punished us and put us to the sword. Parslow was having a nightmare and both full backs weren't on their game defensively. Magnay didn't look well in the first half but he was actually doing OK. Feel for Bignot though as he will know his manager has no confidence in him (bringing in defenders and people playing out of position ahead of him).

I like Clay but he was visibly tiring before being caught by a shockingly late tackle. He brings a calmness on the ball and plays some clever balls into channels. Disley got a goal but didn't contribute an awful lot after that, though does give 100%. Still think Clay and Brown is our best pairing in their but its a tough one when Disley almost comes with a guarantee of goals.

What we struggled with was Lincoln's flexible shape against the rigidity of our 2 banks of 4.
Their 4-2-3-1 allowed the 2 in the double pivot to pick up every single clearance our defenders made, as our cm's were usually caught between those 2 and Power. When they had the ball they had options immediately and most were passes that could break through lines in our rigid and flat 442. One pass into Power and our midfield 4 were out of the game. When we had the ball the line of 4 midfielders were often static but also it restricts forward passing options once one of them gets the ball because there's just the one line of them. Disley breaks the line to get into the box at times for a cross but we need someone doing it so we can build attacks.

Lincoln were well up for it and had a bit of confidence for once, but they also played to a good system and all individually stuck to their roles. We, at times, look like a team that goes out after just having the team written down on the board in the changing room in whatever formation. At least when we are possession anyway. For me we don't show anything during games that suggest we work on attacking phases of play or patterns of attacking play. I'm not saying/suggesting we don't, but there isn't much evidence of it on the pitch. Defensive shape and organisation/discipline is a strong point and that, along with some good individuals, is what will carry us through to the play offs again no doubt.

The funny thing is we had enough chances to at least draw the game in the second half, but it was disappointing that we didn't have one spell of sustained pressure or possession to pin them back in their half to have a go at them. I think had we had a spell like that the crowd could've made a bit of an atmosphere. Has to be said too that Lincoln could and should have scored more on the break.

All in all not a season-changing or pivotal result because we'll still comfortably make the play offs because generall we're good defensively and will nick enough goals. Losing to Lincoln (especially twice) is gutting but it hasn't really set us back from achieving all that we're capable of imo - place in the play offs -which is why I'm not so downbeat as I might be.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 146
barralad
December 30, 2014, 8:23am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Tommy
Lincoln fully deserved their 3 points, and played as well I've seen them since we've been down here.

Felt like we were shading the 1st half and looking the most likely to score the 2nd goal. If Pittman squares along the floor instead of lofting in the air Mackreth has a tap in 6 yards out. Lincoln were having one or two breaks but not doing a great deal with them 1st half. York up front appeared dangerous with his pace but i actually thought he was a bit of a donkey with the ball at his feet. One time he skinned one of our defenders for pace but then shanked the ball out for a goal kick when running with the ball.

A few others have said it already but I thought McKeown should've done better with their equaliser. It was technically a great clean strike but it was nowhere near the top corner as some have suggested. And a shot from 25-30 yards hitting the net in the middle of the goal is one the goalie should be saving IMO. That obviously gave them a lift and we looked to be feeling sorry for ourselves for a few minutes. Their 2nd was all too easy for them and you could see it coming as they strolled up our left side and crossed without much of an attempt to delay the attack.

Second half we got caught out at the back several times and a better side would have punished us and put us to the sword. Parslow was having a nightmare and both full backs weren't on their game defensively. Magnay didn't look well in the first half but he was actually doing OK. Feel for Bignot though as he will know his manager has no confidence in him (bringing in defenders and people playing out of position ahead of him).

I like Clay but he was visibly tiring before being caught by a shockingly late tackle. He brings a calmness on the ball and plays some clever balls into channels. Disley got a goal but didn't contribute an awful lot after that, though does give 100%. Still think Clay and Brown is our best pairing in their but its a tough one when Disley almost comes with a guarantee of goals.

What we struggled with was Lincoln's flexible shape against the rigidity of our 2 banks of 4.
Their 4-2-3-1 allowed the 2 in the double pivot to pick up every single clearance our defenders made, as our cm's were usually caught between those 2 and Power. When they had the ball they had options immediately and most were passes that could break through lines in our rigid and flat 442. One pass into Power and our midfield 4 were out of the game. When we had the ball the line of 4 midfielders were often static but also it restricts forward passing options once one of them gets the ball because there's just the one line of them. Disley breaks the line to get into the box at times for a cross but we need someone doing it so we can build attacks.

Lincoln were well up for it and had a bit of confidence for once, but they also played to a good system and all individually stuck to their roles. We, at times, look like a team that goes out after just having the team written down on the board in the changing room in whatever formation. At least when we are possession anyway. For me we don't show anything during games that suggest we work on attacking phases of play or patterns of attacking play. I'm not saying/suggesting we don't, but there isn't much evidence of it on the pitch. Defensive shape and organisation/discipline is a strong point and that, along with some good individuals, is what will carry us through to the play offs again no doubt.

The funny thing is we had enough chances to at least draw the game in the second half, but it was disappointing that we didn't have one spell of sustained pressure or possession to pin them back in their half to have a go at them. I think had we had a spell like that the crowd could've made a bit of an atmosphere. Has to be said too that Lincoln could and should have scored more on the break.

All in all not a season-changing or pivotal result because we'll still comfortably make the play offs because generall we're good defensively and will nick enough goals. Losing to Lincoln (especially twice) is gutting but it hasn't really set us back from achieving all that we're capable of imo - place in the play offs -which is why I'm not so downbeat as I might be.

Probably the best, most balanced contribution to the whole thread....The Fishy at its best..

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 146
Maringer
December 30, 2014, 9:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face

what?

McKeown shanked one out for a throw, towards the end of the first half, and that was the only issue with his kicking yesterday. How the intercourse you've made that summation I'll never know.

McKeown gets unfairly criticised for his kicking, mainly because he's built up a reputation as a result of comments like the above going unchallenged.

Fundamentally, McKeown's kicking is OK and is certainly improved over his first season with us when he looked decidedly dodgy at times.

However, that doesn't mean that other keepers such as Farman the other day aren't better at kicking. He kicked the ball flatter and 10 to 20 yards further than McKeown and this really helped to pin us on the back foot at times. My comment was that the Lincoln keeper kicked the ball better than McKeown because he can and he did. Simple as that. For some reason, you've decided to read this as a criticism of McKeown instead of faint praise for their keeper. *Shrugs*
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 146
oldun
December 30, 2014, 9:37am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475

come on, we had plenty of time to see Marshall and he was nowhere near consistently good. Yes Sam York had a good game but we have seen Lenny just as good and he has 14 goals too. Don't judge on 1 game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 146
ackomariner
December 30, 2014, 10:59am

Cocktail Drinker
[quote=697Disley got a goal but didn't contribute an awful lot after that, though does give 100%. [/quote]

It was down to him getting booked IMO, scared to make another tackle.

Should have gone off at half time and replaced with brown

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 146
barralad
December 30, 2014, 3:12pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from ackomariner
[quote=697Disley got a goal but didn't contribute an awful lot after that, though does give 100%.

It was down to him getting booked IMO, scared to make another tackle.

Should have gone off at half time and replaced with brown[/quote]

Decent call that IMO. I thought maybe Hurst might have been hoping Diz would pop up with another goal...He is certainly better going forward than Brown

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 146
Tom13
December 30, 2014, 4:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
I think he said something in his post-match interview about Clay taking a knock fairly early on, and only having one sub left so that's why he didn't bring anyone else off? So that may explain why Brown didn't come on or any attacking changes weren't made.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 146
arryarryarry
December 31, 2014, 2:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from oldun

come on, we had plenty of time to see Marshall and he was nowhere near consistently good. Yes Sam York had a good game but we have seen Lenny just as good and he has 14 goals too. Don't judge on 1 game

Unfortunately too many on here do, Mackreth springs to mind.

Private Message
Reply: 145 - 146
Mariner Ronnie
December 31, 2014, 10:44am

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Unfortunately too many on here do, Mackreth springs to mind.

John Lewis
Clay

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 146
15 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (Merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.